Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Kent is becoming the toilet of England'

Eldorado

Kent could become the “toilet of England” in less than eight weeks unless dedicated loos are provided for thousands of lorry drivers who could be held up in the county for hours by post-Brexit border checks, campaigners have warned.

They say Kent’s main roads and lay-bys are already littered with bottles of urine and bags of excrement and the problem could become much worse after 31 December.

“It has got the potential to be disgusting,” said Phil Silkstone, a regional official for Unite, which represents many lorry drivers.

Full story at the Guardian: Link

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Thats good news for the UK future economy because UK will become on of the world largest fertilizer suppliers (FTSE registration pending).  :lol:

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Kent is my area in the UK :-( my parents used to own a house in Deal. 

49 minutes ago, 'Walt' E. Kurtz said:

Kent is my area in the UK :-( my parents used to own a house in Deal. 

So can you verify this story?  Is it truth or is it more anti-brexit propaganda?

• Like 2

@oversword I don't know if it's anti Brexit propaganda. It's true that my parents used to own a house in Deal on Park avenue 

Perhaps the problems (if they exist) may have more to do with the lorries entering Kent from europe.

(Oops, just noticed its from the Guardian.....can ignore)

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, OverSword said:

So can you verify this story?  Is it truth or is it more anti-brexit propaganda?

Its simple math. In August 2020, 110k trucks and 267k passenger vehicles have been carried through the Eurotunnel, thats 3548 trucks and 8600 cars per day and, without border/customs controll, plus not to forget to add the ferry channel trafic as well. From January 2021 on, there will be border/customs checkings not only on the UK side but also on the Europe side. From a logistic point of with, I expect a big backlog on the UK side because of import procedures on EU soil which may also interrupt the Eurostar timetables and taking temporarily down the vehicle flow to zero.

Eurotunnel stats

5 minutes ago, toast said:

Its simple math. In August 2020, 110k trucks and 267k passenger vehicles have been carried through the Eurotunnel, thats 3548 trucks and 8600 cars per day and, without border/customs controll, plus not to forget to add the ferry channel trafic as well. From January 2021 on, there will be border/customs checkings not only on the UK side but also on the Europe side. From a logistic point of with, I expect a big backlog on the UK side because of import procedures on EU soil which may also interrupt the Eurostar timetables and taking temporarily down the vehicle flow to zero.

Eurotunnel stats

I'm not contesting that, I'm asking if someone that lives around there can confirm or deny the existence of bottles of pee or bags of poop of the side of the road.

Just now, OverSword said:

I'm not contesting that, I'm asking if someone that lives around there can confirm or deny the existence of bottles of pee or bags of poop of the side of the road.

I live in Kent and I can confirm this happens. The closer you get to Dover/Folkestone, the worse it gets. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It goes on all around the motorway network, basically anywhere that a driver can park a truck.

Quite often a driver might decide not to pay for overnight or rest period parking, keep the money, and use a free layby or similar.

The system being set up will allow haulers to visit custom sites around the UK, undergo inspections and check paperwork before arriving at a port. This should let the port operate largely as before and without local queues. 

It will require more customs staff but should not create extra traffic problems around the channel ports.

Most likely the biggest problem will be the French on strike or blocking their side. ;)     

• 2 weeks later...

On 11/12/2020 at 1:58 PM, OverSword said:

idk about Kent, but i see plenty of bottles  with yellow liquids on the side on nyc highways, traffics here are a bi#$ch,  getorade and snapple bottles are most common due to large opening.  but sometimes i see regular water bottles, wonder how much they spilled\missed in their cars to fill those lol   when you buy a used car after limo service, shampoo interior before getting in. 

poop, otoh i've never seen on the side of the road in bags,  however i see plenty of it with no bags on the train planform\stations\cars,  homeless now occupy it, and cops no longer kick them out, so nyc trains are literally  toilets.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Road signs describe Kent as 'toilet of England' in protest by anti-Brexit group EU Flag Mafia

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/maidstone/news/kent-rebranded-toilet-of-england-238252/

9RZ0OUG37XMAJDSAIWN7.jpg.eda3c5a61764c59cd109c42a31b0cac3.jpg

Say no more.

• Haha 1

What else do they expect with all the hold ups and traffic queues.    They're stressing people out way too much.  you used to be able to workout when you need a pee and poo, now you can't.

Why wasn't Kent turned into a toilet during all the numerous French industrial action over the years? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aztek said:

idk about Kent, but i see plenty of bottles  with yellow liquids on the side on nyc highways, traffics here are a bi#$ch,  getorade and snapple bottles are most common due to large opening.  but sometimes i see regular water bottles, wonder how much they spilled\missed in their cars to fill those lol   when you buy a used car after limo service, shampoo interior before getting in. 

poop, otoh i've never seen on the side of the road in bags,  however i see plenty of it with no bags on the train planform\stations\cars,  homeless now occupy it, and cops no longer kick them out, so nyc trains are literally  toilets.

A lot of reports like this from San Francisco too. 

• Thanks 1