Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Should we reply to the WOW! Signal?

alfa015

44 minutes ago, alfa015 said:

Do you think that we should reply to the WOW! Signal or not?

Done already: space.com

• Like 5

Yes we should. There is very little to fear from a space faring civilization. And frankly I'm positively sick of people suggesting we should just cower on our planet in fear of aliens hurting us, it's silly. (That is if the WOW signal was created by a civilization at all...)

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

There is very little to fear from a space faring civilization.

What about the WOW! signal makes you think it comes from a space faring civilisation? If it comes from a civilisation, they could be like us. Practically locked in their own solar system, barely leaving their own planet's orbit.

38 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

And frankly I'm positively sick of people suggesting we should just cower on our planet in fear of aliens hurting us, it's silly.

If we get in contact with an aggressive alien race, it will be our descendants who will pay the price for our cosmic social needs.
I'm not saying we should stay silent, but we should carefully consider the risks we submit our grandchildren to.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, zep73 said:

What about the WOW! signal makes you think it comes from a space faring civilisation? If it comes from a civilisation, they could be like us. Practically locked in their own solar system, barely leaving their own planet's orbit.

I'm not. It most likely isn't. Just in the incredibly small chance that it is someone, then we should answer.

If we get in contact with an aggressive alien race, it will be our descendants who will pay the price for our cosmic social needs.
I'm not saying we should stay silent, but we should carefully consider the risks we submit our grandchildren to.

I'm really tired of explaining this over and over again.
Assuming that they would even be able to get to us (which is very unlikely)
Then there is no reason for them to do anything to us or our precious grandchildren. A civilization that has the ability to travel at light speed (or faster) would be able to get any resource we could give from the vastness of space (water from ice asteroids, for example) and the vastness of space removes the need for competition for space or resources. So no there are no risks.

And before you try to pull the "but colonization!" argument: No human history of colonization and subjugation of indigenous people is not comparable to this, since in the colonization period humans were fighting over limited space and resources (both of which are practically infinite in inter-stellar space) Them attacking us for a resource would be like the conquistadors ignoring the gold lying in the street because they want a couple of coins located in one specific, pox-ridden house. 

The only situation where there might be risks is IF they are some sort of lifeform that actively seeks others to destroy them for fun or whatever, and I find that very unlikely. And in that case they'd find us anyway due to picking up broadcast signals and such..

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

people can get tired of trying to explain a fact to folk who don't understand... But what you've said is just your opinion.

You'll be tired for a long time I feel

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

Then there is no reason for them to do anything to us or our precious grandchildren. A civilization that has the ability to travel at light speed (or faster) would be able to get any resource we could give from the vastness of space (water from ice asteroids, for example) and the vastness of space removes the need for competition for space or resources. So no there are no risks.

And before you try to pull the "but colonization!" argument: No human history of colonization and subjugation of indigenous people is not comparable to this, since in the colonization period humans were fighting over limited space and resources (both of which are practically infinite in inter-stellar space) Them attacking us for a resource would be like the conquistadors ignoring the gold lying in the street because they want a couple of coins located in one specific, pox-ridden house. 

The only situation where there might be risks is IF they are some sort of lifeform that actively seeks others to destroy them for fun or whatever, and I find that very unlikely. And in that case they'd find us anyway due to picking up broadcast signals and such..

What if habitable planets are extremely rare, and they lost their own? Then it won't be the resources they are looking for, but a home. And we would be in their way. (Assuming they're malevolent.)

I think your Spielberg approach is a bit naive. There are many possible scenarios to consider. Some we might not even have thought of.
And remember. Spielberg might have started with Close Encounter... and E.T., but he finished with War of the Worlds ;)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, zep73 said:

Who could be more aggressive than earth humans?

• Like 3

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

Who could be more aggressive than earth humans?

No argument there.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

I'm not. It most likely isn't. Just in the incredibly small chance that it is someone, then we should answer.

Space is infinitely large AND sparsely filled. You discount the really large chance that for such a long trip to visit that visitors could very well be at a very large energy and material deficit.

This reply of yours is extremely naive in its assumptions.

However I am of the opinion that at most we will find cosmic pen pals. I don’t buy into near or faster than light travel- nor wormholes. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Nobu said:

This reply of yours is extremely naive in its assumptions.

you can only be naive when dealing with facts.

I'm quite sure there are other lifeforms out there but in reality, we know nothing about what's out there regarding life & it's capabilities....

An intelligent lifeform could well look at faster than light travel as we now look at the horse & cart.... Who knows? I don't that's for sure

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hazzard said:

Non publishable research was not published.

Paris’ paper – about his team’s observations and their ideas on the Wow! signal – is not published in one of the usual journals, but it does appear onlinevia The Center for Planetary Science, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, of which Paris is Chief Scientist”

also

Paris admits it is not certain that the Wow! signal was generated by Comet 266/P Christensen; however, his team concludes that the 1977 Wow! signal was a natural phenomenon generated by a comet.”

That being said... it could have been a comet.

Edited by Nobu

10 hours ago, Nobu said:

Paris’ paper – about his team’s observations and their ideas on the Wow! signal – is not published in one of the usual journals, but it does appear onlinevia The Center for Planetary Science, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, of which Paris is Chief Scientist”

also

Paris admits it is not certain that the Wow! signal was generated by Comet 266/P Christensen; however, his team concludes that the 1977 Wow! signal was a natural phenomenon generated by a comet.”

I think Im going with Sir Occam on this one.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Nobu said:

also

Highly unlikely.

http://naapo.org/WOWCometRebuttal.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, bmk1245 said:

Nope, wont work.

Oh, ok :tu:

Edited by Hazzard

On 11/14/2020 at 7:14 AM, alfa015 said:

Do you think that we should reply to the WOW! Signal or not?

Absolutely not.

Now, a WAP! signal, on the other hand...

• Haha 1