Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hell of a good "Orb" shot.

Utd8799

I know these things are more than common in the "paranormal world" but I've never seen one myself. As in, via a situation where I personally know nothing suspicious has been done with the footage, what you see is what you get on this one! 

So on this night I was visiting/staying at my Mum's house and she'd just had these new security cameras installed.

I went down late at night, about 2am to get a drink, get a quick snack and let her dogs out while I was down there. Spent about 10/15 minutes in the kitchen and headed back up. The next morning she comes and shows me that the motion detector on the hallway's camera got set off 5 times while I was downstairs. Now she has one in the kitchen too so I kept setting that one off while I was in there but there was nobody in the hallway and that showed from the clips every time it got set off. The door to the hallway was closed so neither of the dogs had got out there either or anything like that.

In this one clip that I'll put up on here though something appears to just materialise out of nowhere about halfway down the stairs, shoots across the stairs toward the bannister, fades away and reappears briefly again just at the end around the ceiling.

Now I'm definitely more of a sceptic than a believer when it comes to this so all I'm saying with this clip is that after downloading it from the security system and watching it about 20 times, frame by frame, I do not have the first clue what the hell it is I've just watched.

And as a bonus it bit for the true paranormal romantics out there who are true-believers. I've watched it so many times I found something that looks like a very faint shadow figure with slightly glowing eyes just to the right of the door that's furthest away. Seems more prominent when the initial security light goes on, fades a tiny bit then the eyes seem to brighten just for a second at the end when a noise from the kitchen comes in. I'm sure that one is probably something to do with trick of the light and the camera or whatever, bit freaky nonetheless, but the star of the show is definitely our weird white floaty friend in my opinion. What the hell is that??

https://youtu.be/HSC7XDKCeSA

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, acute said:

Thanks v.much Acute! I'm absolutely computer illiterate on these things, never know how to post stuff properly on forums! Mainly because I never really do it! Lol.

• Like 2

I believe from sources I respect that orbs can be a low energy form in which spirits can manifest. I saw one with my naked eyes once inside during the daytime. Now there is also that interesting effect to the right of the door as you say but I don't see the humanoid figure with glowing eyes on my screen. Maybe you can look at normal footage and better judge if that distortion is truly aberrant. 

I'll give the paranormal a good 50/50 chance here. It would go way up if I could see the shadow figure myself.

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

It's either a bug or a mote of dust.

Neither a true sceptic or a true believer but that is not a bug or dust!! lol. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

It's either a bug or a mote of dust.

Exactly.  Not enough motion was captured to be sure which, as it turned away and headed out of the IR LED 's range.

To be specific:

- modern cameras are often fitted with IR (or normal LED) lighting, with the light mounted quite close to the lens.  Things that fly through that region (ie close to the lens) will be brightly illuminated.  The brightest illumination drops off very quickly, although if it is a 'biological', eg bug/insect, it may generate a lot of reflected or emitted IR.

- modern cameras often have small lenses, with large depth of field.  So while the object is out of focus, it isn't far out of focus, hence it remains quite bright and takes on a somewhat rounded and soft-edged shape.  Older cameras had less depth of field so often these same bug/dust-orbs were so large and spread out by being severely out of focus, you couldn't easily notice them, if at all.

Readers will note that orbs are far less common in ye-olde-time (film) images.  That's not because there are more bugs or paranormal entities, it's because cameras have changed.

4 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I believe from sources I respect

Like whom...?  If you aren't going to cite these alleged sources, then do NOT even mention them, handwaver...

Papa, is there anything in what I have said above that you dispute?  Would you agree that having a knowledge of photography and imaging is a good thing in analysing images?  Did you (will you ever) learn anything?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Utd8799 said:

And how did you come to that conclusion?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I believe from sources I respect that orbs can be a low energy form in which spirits can manifest. I saw one with my naked eyes once inside during the daytime. Now there is also that interesting effect to the right of the door as you say but I don't see the humanoid figure with glowing eyes on my screen. Maybe you can look at normal footage and better judge if that distortion is truly aberrant. 

I'll give the paranormal a good 50/50 chance here. It would go way up if I could see the shadow figure myself.

I've watched it so many times just for the purposes of scrutiny so had it zoomed in, messed with the levels, done the frame by frame. Only noticed the strange anomaly by the door much later so it really genuinely is probably nothing, just noticed something that seemed a bit out of place. When you've got the lcip downloaded and are looking into it in that amount of detail these things can happen I guess! But it really isn't my main focus for the video obviously! As I said, never seen an "orb" before that hasn't been on Youtube or something like that!

1 minute ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

And how did you come to that conclusion?

Well I have a degree in Media production and moving image so I have a slight knowledge of what things look like on cameras for a start!! lol.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Utd8799 said:

Tell me why.  Be specific.  While researching, why not search for what bugs look like when they fly past a small camera....  Do we really need to post examples?  OK, here's a whole swarm....

Different lens, slightly different effect, but there are plenty of others much closer to what was shown above.

• Like 2

Just now, Utd8799 said:

Well I have a degree in Media production and moving image so I have a slight knowledge of what things look like on cameras for a start!! lol.

Why does it look exactly like a bug or mote of dust then?

What specifically rules out either option?

It's only there for a second.

What does it do that is so unlike dust or a bug?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

Would you agree that having a knowledge of photography and imaging is a good thing in analysing images? 

Of course knowledge is good but when I feel someone has an anti-paranormal agenda I know what I am going to get before they start their analysis. I would be more interested in hearing from camera people with an open mind. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

Tell me why.  Be specific.  While researching, why not search for what bugs look like when they fly past a small camera....  Do we really need to post examples?  OK, here's a whole swarm....

Different lens, slightly different effect, but there are plenty of others much closer to what was shown above.

Lol, are you for real? Look I came here more to share than debate so you carry on but I have to call out BS when it's presented right to me! That video is just not remotely similar to the capture on my camera. If anyone wants the file I'll send it. You look it at properly and you can actually track the path of the object for the whole clip. It starts on-camera and ends on camera for a start.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

Why does it look exactly like a bug or mote of dust then?

What specifically rules out either option?

It's only there for a second.

What does it do that is so unlike dust or a bug?

As I've said. Firstly it doesn't come from off-camera it just appears, you do it frame by frame and you can pin point the second a small ball of light manifests, grows, and travels off, secondly, it ends on-camera, it doesn't head out frame or out of the range of the light as has been suggested, it just goes, thirdly I've looked at in a lot of detail and you can track the entire path of it, fourthly, I didn't know bugs or dust could set off a motion sensor 5 times while only being spotted on the camera itself once! Just a couple of reasons I'm not totally sold on the whole bug/dust thing! Lol.

Edited by Utd8799
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Sounds like the only acceptable replies are that it just must be paranormal no discussion here, minds closed, im out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, Utd8799 said:

Lol, are you for real? Look I came here more to share than debate so you carry on but I have to call out BS when it's presented right to me! That video is just not remotely similar to the capture on my camera. If anyone wants the file I'll send it. You look it at properly and you can actually track the path of the object for the whole clip. It starts on-camera and ends on camera for a start.

I think the problem is people read the name of the site and come here under the impression that everyone here is a believer in the paranormal.  Which isn't the case, people will always debate videos of this kind if you were looking to share only then there are numerous sites which will cater to that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Once my friend took orb pic. He was scared as hell, while the rest of us (overspirited, to be honest) were lauging our bums out. Trying to dig out that pic.

Like most everyone else said - it looks like a typical bit of dust wafting by the camera. Orbs are complete bunk.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 2

Thread cleaned

Let's keep the comments civil and constructive please - don't make things personal.

On 11/16/2020 at 8:10 PM, TashaMarie said:

I think the problem is people read the name of the site and come here under the impression that everyone here is a believer in the paranormal.  Which isn't the case, people will always debate videos of this kind if you were looking to share only then there are numerous sites which will cater to that.

Maybe they should change the name to Total BS Unbelievable Mysteries to deter people looking for answers,opinions to the unexplainable

• Like 1

1 minute ago, openozy said:

Maybe they should change the name to Total BS Unbelievable Mysteries to deter people looking for answers,opinions to the unexplainable

Well they get answers and opinions just not always the answers and opinions they wanted.  I think when it comes to things like this all sides should be put forward.  What's the point of only having yes men?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TashaMarie said:

Well they get answers and opinions just not always the answers and opinions they wanted.  I think when it comes to things like this all sides should be put forward.  What's the point of only having yes men?

They get opinions but not always answers,if they can't be explained the people are ridiculed sometimes or basically called liars or mentally ill.A lot of things put up here can't be explained scientifically but did occur.

• Like 1