Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Manwon Lender

Led Zeppelins association with the Occult

69 posts in this topic

Manwon Lender

Led Zeppelin formed as a Rock Band in 1968, and to this day mystery surround this band because of its association with the Occult. Unlike many Rock and Roll bands during that time and to this very day references to the Occult are purely a marketing method that is designed to be catchy and not a real practice that the band members actually participate in, however, this is not the case with some members of Led Zeppelin!! The band was founded by one of the greatest Rock Guitar players of all time Jimmy Page, and Jimmy was a strong believer in Occult practices, in fact in 1970 he purchased Alesiter Crowleys house on the shore of Lock Ness called the Boleskine House.

Then in 1970 Page dropped a large chunk of change to acquire Crowley’s mansion, Boleskine, located on Loch Ness. Page said that the house had a history of suicides, which was true. London magazine Disc and Music Echo featured a cover story in their April 22, 1972 issue entitled ‘Jimmy Page on Magic’  “My house used to belong to Aleister Crowley, I knew that when I moved in. Magic is very important if people can go through it. I think Crowley’s completely relevant to today. We’re still seeking for truth, the search goes on.” This was  now a serious obsession, but he managed to keep it fairly quiet above boards. Visitors to Boleskine said that at dusk, the outdoor patio was awash with shadows-phantoms and ghostly shapes, residue of decades of conjuring and whatnot. Whatever you believe, maids and servants were a quick turnover in employment, as all agreed the place was haunted to the point of being uninhabitable and beyond creepy.

The Curse of Led Zeppelin - .https://carwreckdebangs.wordpress.com/2015/06/09/aleister-crowley-jimmy-page-and-the-curse-of-led-zeppelin-when-myth-magick-and-weird-facts-collide/

Zoso    Jimmy Page’s symbol = This is the most mysterious symbol used, no has been able to identify the meaning of this symbol to my knowledge. In addition Jimmy Page is very tight lipped concerning it, in fact there is no record of him ever explaining its meaning

plantsymbol       Robert Plant’s symbol = symbol which is the feather with a circle around it, is the feather of Ma’at who was an Egyptian goddess of justice and fairness. Plant said the symbol was drawn from sacred symbols of the ancient Mu civilization, which existed over 14,000 years ago.

jpjsymbol        John Paul Jones’ symbol = This symbol was seen on the cover of a ancient book by the  Rosicrucian's who were a religious cult that had the belief that its members possess secret wisdom that was handed down to them from ancient times. .The symbol may symbolize that John Paul Jones is a confident person and this was seen as the best way to describe him.

jbsymbol       John Bonham’s symbol = This symbol represents the relationship between a man,woman, and a child. This was confirmed by John’s son, Jason Bonham, which makes the theory the most likely.

sandysymbol   Sandy Denny’s  symbol = “an old symbol for the Godhead     .

The third album recorded by Led Zeppelin had a unique reference to Aleister Crowley who inspired Jimmy page. On side 1 stamped into the Vinyl it says Do What Thou Wilt and on side 2 of the album its says So Mote It Be.  Examples of these album pressings can be seen in photo's below. The magical significance of a Crowley power phrase spinning simultaneously on thousands of turntables across the  world could not have escaped Page’s notice. (colleagues of this era say he most certainly was a member of the O.T.O. at this point)

Link that covers what the O.T.O organization is:

https://occult-world.com/

so-mote-be-it-led-zep.jpg

led-zep-iii-do-what-thou-wilt.jpg

Please add any additional comments or information / corrections that I may have made. This topic is far too large to completely post here, again I would appreciate any comments any additional information on this subject.

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Chronus

this is interesting

• Like 1

RoofGardener

Ummm.. yes. They all went to this little cottage in Wales (no electricity or gas) to write the album. Hardly surprising it had some arcane associations on it. Plant WAS interested in the eldritch, and Crowley in particular. 

Alistair Crowley didn't really feature in any of the songs. And the fascination only lasted  for that one album. Plant DID buy Crowleys old Loch Ness house, but never went there. 

• Like 1

South Alabam

Jimmy Page's looks like a face to me.

• Like 1

Liquid Gardens
1 hour ago, Manwon Lender said:

The Curse of Led Zeppelin

3 of the 4 members are still alive and able to perform, they have obviously made an enormous amount of money, and Led Zeppelin is rightly argued as perhaps the greatest rock and roll band of all time.  Maybe the more apt word is 'Blessing' instead of 'Curse'...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Liquid Gardens
3 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Plant WAS interested in the eldritch, and Crowley in particular. 

Pretty sure you mean 'Page', not Plant.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

RoofGardener
15 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Pretty sure you mean 'Page', not Plant.

Ooops.. you are correct - I beg your pardon. 

• Like 2

zep73
1 hour ago, Manwon Lender said:

As he says, it was when he was younger, and it was a fascination, more than worship or lifestyle. He also denies deliberate backwards masking.

Conclusion: It was an innocent flirt with the occult, nothing more.

• Like 1

HandsomeGorilla

No ****s given, still one of my top five :lol: 

• Haha 1

Manwon Lender
4 hours ago, Liquid Gardens said:

3 of the 4 members are still alive and able to perform, they have obviously made an enormous amount of money, and Led Zeppelin is rightly argued as perhaps the greatest rock and roll band of all time.  Maybe the more apt word is 'Blessing' instead of 'Curse'...

I agree with you that the it certainly does appear looking in that their success doesn't appear to be a curse. However, that isn't what is meant of what is called the Led Zeppelin Curse, do you read the article in the OP labeled the Led Zeppelin Curse?

thanks for your reply

Manwon Lender
4 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Zoso could be a reference to Zos Kia Cultis. 

http://www.thelemapedia.org/index.php/Zos_Kia_Cultus

That could be the case, it would be great to find that symbol in a book of symbology, however to date that hasn't been done and likes I said Jimmy Page will not tell anyone anything about it or what its meaning is. 

Thanks for your post

Manwon Lender
4 hours ago, zep73 said:

As he says, it was when he was younger, and it was a fascination, more than worship or lifestyle. He also denies deliberate backwards masking.

Conclusion: It was an innocent flirt with the occult, nothing more.

I don't disagree with you at all, and yes he does say that and that's why I included it. Myself I am not a believer in the Occult, I started this thread for discussion purposes and because I thought that many people may not have been aware of the history of the Occult involvement of this band. Whether it was an innocent flirt like you say above or not isn't really the subject, it's the influnce and how it affected the production of some of the finest Rock Music of All Time.

• Like 3

Manwon Lender
5 hours ago, South Alabam said:

Jimmy Page's looks like a face to me.

What dies that mean, he looks like a face?:P

Manwon Lender
5 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Ummm.. yes. They all went to this little cottage in Wales (no electricity or gas) to write the album. Hardly surprising it had some arcane associations on it. Plant WAS interested in the eldritch, and Crowley in particular. 

Alistair Crowley didn't really feature in any of the songs. And the fascination only lasted  for that one album. Plant DID buy Crowleys old Loch Ness house, but never went there. 

Actually the fascination lasted throughout the history of the band, not just that one album. In fact other Led Zeppelin albums also have a famous Occult symbolism and history not just this one. Led Zeppelin IV their album that was intentionally produced untitled certainly has other symbolism to it. So it certainly didn't just last a single album.

Oh an By the way, it wasn't Robert Plant, who bought Crowley house it was Jimmy Page!

zep73
45 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I don't disagree with you at all, and yes he does say that and that's why I included it. Myself I am not a believer in the Occult, I started this thread for discussion purposes and because I thought that many people may not have been aware of the history of the Occult involvement of this band. Whether it was an innocent flirt like you say above or not isn't really the subject, it's the influnce and how it affected the production of some of the finest Rock Music of All Time.

Thanks my friend. It is a very relevant discussion for this forum. I don't believe in the occult either. Some religious people think it is dangerous, but it is only as dangerous as you scare yourself to believe it is.
But as a LZ fan I care about the truth about one of my favorite bands. And I believe that fascination was only half the truth. They were not ignorant to the commercial aspect of mysticism.
I would just hate it if people thought they were devil worshippers or anti-christian or something. That is unfair. They were just amazing musicians, with a little propensity for folklore/spirituality IMO.

Edited by zep73
  • Like 2

XenoFish
22 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

That could be the case, it would be great to find that symbol in a book of symbology, however to date that hasn't been done and likes I said Jimmy Page will not tell anyone anything about it or what its meaning is. 

Thanks for your post

https://theeyeofzoro.tumblr.com/post/163243598453/im-very-happy-with-my-new-tattoo

The answer is quite simple.

oo-iii-p-313a.jpg

• Like 2

Guyver

Nice thread Manwon.  I am a huge Zep fan....have been since childhood.  My additional comments would be that in the Song Remains the Same (film) Jimmy Page shows his eyes red like a demon while playing his acoustic guitar.  Also, when I was a kid, a friend of mine discovered “hidden” messages on some zep songs.  Whole lotta love and stairway to Heaven are two I remember hearing when my friend put the turn table in neutral and spun the record back.  I heard much later that Page admitted he did it for fun.  Anyway, one message I remember hearing distinctly said, “I am the devil you better watch I ain’t gonna eat no fish.”

FWIW.

• Like 4

Liquid Gardens
44 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I agree with you that the it certainly does appear looking in that their success doesn't appear to be a curse. However, that isn't what is meant of what is called the Led Zeppelin Curse, do you read the article in the OP labeled the Led Zeppelin Curse?

I did, it's just that it doesn't look like that much of a curse when compared to other famous curses. King Tut's curse has 5 deaths linked to it from people who opened the tomb itself.  The closest we have in Zep is John Bonham, who let's admit it, tragic as it was, surprised absolutely no one when he died from drinking too much, I think that has history far before Page getting into the occult.  The Zep curse has to go as far as including the death of Sandy Denny who sang backup on one Led Zeppelin song out of approximately 100.  I mean it includes that Plant had laryngitis once...

Not that it's not cool!  And I do find the relation of the occult to Page interesting.  I don't believe in the occult at all but for me I do think there are a lot of Zep's songs that do have occultish type 'sounds' or overtones or something, and for me I think it enhances it or makes it deeper or more mysterious.  It's subtle too, because their lyrics aren't really that dark and occult-like, it's not like Sabbath where you sometimes have those dark horror-movie-like lyrics, Zep probably have more references to Norse gods and the Lord of the Rings than those.  I think maybe when I was younger I would wonder if Page's occult dabblings weren't more along the lines of the Robert Johnson crossroads legend, where he sells his soul for talent and success.  They were just too damn good to explain any other way it seemed sometimes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Manwon Lender
27 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I am glad your back, I saw the post before you left, hope the situation with your health has improved. Thanks for the information and the link, could you explain it a little further, I am not well educated on this subject so, anything else you add would be appreciated very much. I will check out your link as I get time.:tu:

• Like 1

zep73
31 minutes ago, Guyver said:

I heard much later that Page admitted he did it for fun.

Not true. Check out the video in the OP. It's less than two minutes long. He denies deliberate backwards masking. It's just random.

Edited by zep73
  • Like 1

Guyver
6 minutes ago, zep73 said:

Not true. Check out the video in the OP. It's less than two minutes long. He denies deliberate backwards masking. It's just random.

That makes it even more spooky.

• Haha 1

XenoFish
18 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I am glad your back, I saw the post before you left, hope the situation with your health has improved. Thanks for the information and the link, could you explain it a little further, I am not well educated on this subject so, anything else you add would be appreciated very much. I will check out your link as I get time.:tu:

https://zososymbol.com/

The French text simply says that “Saturn rules over the lives of mankind, extending or terminating it and making life happy or painful“.

It's basically the saturn sigil. 

I guess that only thing I've got going for me is my occult knowledge. Go figure.

• Like 2

zep73
2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I guess that only thing I've got going for me is my occult knowledge. Go figure.

I think you're smart, and I see you as a valued member of Team Skeptic, with a nice dry sense of humor ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

XenoFish
1 minute ago, zep73 said:

I think you're smart, and I see you as a valued member of Team Skeptic, with a nice dry sense of humor ;)

I don't know everything, I won't ever know either. An all I'm doing is making the occasional educated guess, and sometimes utter bs.:lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1