Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Manwon Lender

Led Zeppelins association with the Occult

69 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

XenoFish
1 minute ago, Manwon Lender said:

Ok you have me at a disadvantage because I have no clue where your going with this?

I told you words have power. My words created a change in your consciousness, which lead you into creating a rant.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Manwon Lender
24 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I told you words have power. My words created a change in your consciousness, which lead you into creating a rant.

Ok if you believe that it is fine wth me,:P

Have a great night.:)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eon

Great guitarist, I love stairway to heaven, Kashmir, rock n roll, black dog, etc but Jimmy Page should be in jail.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guyver
On 11/16/2020 at 1:16 PM, Liquid Gardens said:

 

Not that it's not cool!  And I do find the relation of the occult to Page interesting.  I don't believe in the occult at all but for me I do think there are a lot of Zep's songs that do have occultish type 'sounds' or overtones or something, and for me I think it enhances it or makes it deeper or more mysterious.  It's subtle too, because their lyrics aren't really that dark and occult-like, 

Agree.  I think No Quarter and Battle of Evermore come to mind with that spooky vibe.  I really dig most of their songs, but Some of those spooky sounding ones have been my favorites over the years.  

For a long time I considered Physical Graffiti to be the greatest rock album ever recorded.  I don’t deny that now, but Led Zeppelin II is my current favorite album FWIW.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Liquid Gardens
3 hours ago, Guyver said:

Agree.  I think No Quarter and Battle of Evermore come to mind with that spooky vibe.  I really dig most of their songs, but Some of those spooky sounding ones have been my favorites over the years.  

For a long time I considered Physical Graffiti to be the greatest rock album ever recorded.  I don’t deny that now, but Led Zeppelin II is my current favorite album FWIW.

Good call on No Quarter, definitely a spooky vibe, and I think the start of I think it's In The Light of Graffiti has it too.  I think Zep III is my favorite just because for some reason I consider it more of an 'album' and like that it's different than II with the mellower and acoustic sound, but Led Zep II is probably the archetype for what you think of with "Led Zeppelin".  Despite the spookiness though you have songs on the other end like Going to California and That's The Way and Bron y Aur (not the Stomp...) that are just beautiful songs. Think they took a little from both heaven and hell.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psyche101
4 hours ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Good call on No Quarter, definitely a spooky vibe, and I think the start of I think it's In The Light of Graffiti has it too.  I think Zep III is my favorite just because for some reason I consider it more of an 'album' and like that it's different than II with the mellower and acoustic sound, but Led Zep II is probably the archetype for what you think of with "Led Zeppelin".  Despite the spookiness though you have songs on the other end like Going to California and That's The Way and Bron y Aur (not the Stomp...) that are just beautiful songs. Think they took a little from both heaven and hell.

Big on Tolkien too.

Battle of evermore is one that's based on middle earth. 

The Rover is probably the most underrated track on Physical Graffiti.

I do agree it's a brilliant album.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Scholar4Truth

Isn't there some occult story behind the song Stairway to Heaven? I read that Robert Plant produced it through the process of automatic writing.

Edited by Scholar4Truth
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Goddess of the Mist
On 11/16/2020 at 2:56 PM, Guyver said:

Nice thread Manwon.  I am a huge Zep fan....have been since childhood.  My additional comments would be that in the Song Remains the Same (film) Jimmy Page shows his eyes red like a demon while playing his acoustic guitar.  Also, when I was a kid, a friend of mine discovered “hidden” messages on some zep songs.  Whole lotta love and stairway to Heaven are two I remember hearing when my friend put the turn table in neutral and spun the record back.  I heard much later that Page admitted he did it for fun.  Anyway, one message I remember hearing distinctly said, “I am the devil you better watch I ain’t gonna eat no fish.”

FWIW.

Hahaha!  We did the same thing as kids, as far as spinning the record backwards.  The part I remember where there was a hidden message was in Stairway to Heaven.  The part where he's singing "If there's a bustle in your hedgerow don't be alarmed now.  It's just a spring clean for the May queen."  That part, when we'd spin backwards would say, "Power to Satan, doobie doobie doo, 666."  We would all freak out!  Hahaha!  Good times.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peggy aka Moonchaser

So the Ten of Wands is a Master Fire Starter.  Fire used to control, to manipulate, to protect or to destroy, to ride a sharp edge without getting cut or getting burned. Carrying the burden, the bundle of volatile fuel, wanting to transform and then to transmute all that dark energy locked up inside.  It can appear we are just doing mundane labor but nobody knows the furnace being stoked on the inside.  Getting consciously higher than high was the doorway to the Stairway to Heaven.

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guyver

Nice.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Katzenking

Fortunately I could be in one of their last concerts 1980 in the Mannheim Ice-Stadium.
Still a teenager I was already an experienced concert visitor but this one was somehow unique and different than usual. The spirit among the audience was extraordinary. Outside were a lot of police but none visible inside. The smell of pot was overwhelming and opposite to the stage hung a gigantic Marihuana-leaf flag.
There was no opening act and the band began well an hour late what made the excitement almost intolerable.
I was concerned if the sound will be good in this hall but it turned out perfect and clear. Extremely professional.
This was a magic night that I will never forget. How I miss these old days...

The occult themes of many bands at that time were propably only a promotion trick. It worked for many bands and the people liked it. In interviews these bands always talked around these things and made it even more mysterious. I admit that I also thought that these people got some secret knowledge and it was another reason to buy their albums.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
On 12/1/2020 at 11:35 AM, Peggy aka Moonchaser said:

So the Ten of Wands is a Master Fire Starter.  Fire used to control, to manipulate, to protect or to destroy, to ride a sharp edge without getting cut or getting burned. Carrying the burden, the bundle of volatile fuel, wanting to transform and then to transmute all that dark energy locked up inside.  It can appear we are just doing mundane labor but nobody knows the furnace being stoked on the inside.  Getting consciously higher than high was the doorway to the Stairway to Heaven.

I totally agree with you, thanks for your comments.

Have a great day my friend and So Mote It Be

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Manwon Lender
On 12/2/2020 at 12:21 AM, Katzenking said:

Fortunately I could be in one of their last concerts 1980 in the Mannheim Ice-Stadium.
Still a teenager I was already an experienced concert visitor but this one was somehow unique and different than usual. The spirit among the audience was extraordinary. Outside were a lot of police but none visible inside. The smell of pot was overwhelming and opposite to the stage hung a gigantic Marihuana-leaf flag.
There was no opening act and the band began well an hour late what made the excitement almost intolerable.
I was concerned if the sound will be good in this hall but it turned out perfect and clear. Extremely professional.
This was a magic night that I will never forget. How I miss these old days...

The occult themes of many bands at that time were propably only a promotion trick. It worked for many bands and the people liked it. In interviews these bands always talked around these things and made it even more mysterious. I admit that I also thought that these people got some secret knowledge and it was another reason to buy their albums.

Wow it sounds wonderful, all my experiences with concerts were great, but Led Zeppelin was a spiritual event every time I saw them. Your right that the Occult image was promotional fir many bands then and even today. However, that was not the case with Led Zeppelin, Jimi Page was and still is a very strong believer in Occult Practices. Whether that had any real effect on the bands success, well that is something I can't say. But, the reason so many people are effected by the bands music even today, is because of the Occult blending into it. Jimmy was trying to create music that would touch your soul, and I believe they accomplished that, and the name Pied Pipers of Rock and Roll is very very fitting, because when they came to play people followed.

Thanks for your comments my friend

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish

If you want to see a musician that into the occult look at David Bowie. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Katzenking
On 12/2/2020 at 10:35 PM, Manwon Lender said:

Wow it sounds wonderful, all my experiences with concerts were great, but Led Zeppelin was a spiritual event every time I saw them. Your right that the Occult image was promotional fir many bands then and even today. However, that was not the case with Led Zeppelin, Jimi Page was and still is a very strong believer in Occult Practices. Whether that had any real effect on the bands success, well that is something I can't say. But, the reason so many people are effected by the bands music even today, is because of the Occult blending into it. Jimmy was trying to create music that would touch your soul, and I believe they accomplished that, and the name Pied Pipers of Rock and Roll is very very fitting, because when they came to play people followed.

Thanks for your comments my friend

... and the religious leaders continue to condemn it. :lol:

So you have seen them several times? That is great! Was it in the US or UK?
Now I am in the mood to play all LedZeppelin albums this weekend. The atmosphere is right, it's cold and a lot of snow outside.
I always connected Led Zeppelin to the winter season. Not sure why, perhaps because of the 'no quarter'-song.

Inspired not only by music but also by books like The_Occult:_A_History I did some own research. First with my friends who took it not seriously enough and then it became relevant again in the early 90s when I came into the Black Forest area where many people believe in occultism but strictly refuse to talk about it to outsiders.

krampuss.jpg.25c58cf15053ee9bb82b43fa0106eff5.jpg

Edited by Katzenking
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Katzenking
On 12/2/2020 at 11:26 PM, XenoFish said:

If you want to see a musician that into the occult look at David Bowie. 

What comes in mind is his appearance in "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me" in a disturbing, unease way...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
55 minutes ago, Katzenking said:

... and the religious leaders continue to condemn it. :lol:

So you have seen them several times? That is great! Was it in the US or UK?
Now I am in the mood to play all LedZeppelin albums this weekend. The atmosphere is right, it's cold and a lot of snow outside.
I always connected Led Zeppelin to the winter season. Not sure why, perhaps because of the 'no quarter'-song.

Inspired not only by music but also by books like The_Occult:_A_History I did some own research. First with my friends who took it not seriously enough and then it became relevant again in the early 90s when I came into the Black Forest area where many people believe in occultism but strictly refuse to talk about it to outsiders.

krampuss.jpg.25c58cf15053ee9bb82b43fa0106eff5.jpg

Hello and let me say I did not realize you were German, but the photo of Krampus :yes:you included explains it all. I am a first generation German American, my Mother and father immigrated from Flensburg Germany in the 1950s, and my father worked for the US Government. I was born in the United States in 1959, German is my first language, English is second, and Korean is my third language. When I was born, my mother and father only spoke German at home, and my mother felt it was very important for me to be able to speak, and read and right German. So I was taught my native language starting at a very early age, along with English and I am glad she felt that way because later in life I was stationed in Germany while I was in the US Army. 

Back to Led Zeppelin, yes I saw them only in the United States. They have always been my favorite Rock Band, hands down. Since the first time I heard their music I was hooked, the beat, the rhythm, and of course Robert Plants voice which takes the mystical sound of their music and and ties it all together. While in Germany, I was stationed in Karlsruhe and I had a great time. With my back ground I was completely excepted by the German Community, while most US Soldiers were not excepted or really welcomed in German bars I was completely excepted. I spent two years in Germany, and since I have visited family in Flensburg on a couple of Occasions. Since the end of 2013 I have been living in South Korea, but my wife and may look for a change of scenery after this Pandemic has been brought under control, so we may move to Germany.

katzenking, kümmern sich um meinen Freund

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jethrofloyd

This is interestibg:

That Time Jimmy Page Tried To Communicate Telepathically With David Bowie

https://www.iheart.com/content/2019-10-10-that-time-jimmy-page-tried-to-communicate-telepathically-with-david-bowie/

Page was relating to Bowie a terrifying paranormal encounter he'd had one night at Crowley's mansion. Bowie urged Page to tell him more and more. As the two swept up lines of cocaine, Bowie prodded more deeply about what Page knew of the occult. Each time he did, however, Page would strangely clam up and start blankly. It got awkward, but Bowie tried his best to be polite.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Katzenking
On 12/4/2020 at 11:03 PM, Manwon Lender said:

Hello and let me say I did not realize you were German, but the photo of Krampus :yes:you included explains it all. I am a first generation German American, my Mother and father immigrated from Flensburg Germany in the 1950s, and my father worked for the US Government. I was born in the United States in 1959, German is my first language, English is second, and Korean is my third language. When I was born, my mother and father only spoke German at home, and my mother felt it was very important for me to be able to speak, and read and right German. So I was taught my native language starting at a very early age, along with English and I am glad she felt that way because later in life I was stationed in Germany while I was in the US Army.

Thank you. We exchanged some comments on other threads earlier. I know you are very busy with contributions to this forum and I like and appreciate all of them. Most of the time I only read the stories and comments without logging in. Commenting here often leads to a string of discussions. I'd wish to have more time to participate here but I am still very much occupied with other things.

On 12/4/2020 at 11:03 PM, Manwon Lender said:

Back to Led Zeppelin, yes I saw them only in the United States. They have always been my favorite Rock Band, hands down. Since the first time I heard their music I was hooked, the beat, the rhythm, and of course Robert Plants voice which takes the mystical sound of their music and and ties it all together. While in Germany, I was stationed in Karlsruhe and I had a great time. With my back ground I was completely excepted by the German Community, while most US Soldiers were not excepted or really welcomed in German bars I was completely excepted. I spent two years in Germany, and since I have visited family in Flensburg on a couple of Occasions. Since the end of 2013 I have been living in South Korea, but my wife and may look for a change of scenery after this Pandemic has been brought under control, so we may move to Germany.

You are right to stay in South Korea during the covid-crises. East Asian countries are handling this much better than America and Europe.
Interesting that you have been in Karlsruhe because this is quite close to where I am now at the northern edge of Black Forest.
I was in the (West-German) military too. 15 months 82/83 (conscript).

You are most welcome if you decide to come to to Germany.
After retirement I plan to move back into a bigger city but will definitely stay inside the Mannheim-Karlsruhe-Heilbronn triangle. Because only here I can freely speak my dialect.
Of course I could speak proper German as well but I am always afraid to swallow my tongue when trying it.
When you have family in Northern Germany (Flensburg) you probably speak better German than I do.
It would be interesting to live in North-America or Australia or somewhere else in Europe but I am too lazy to organise it.
The Lord put me here so my task must be here. And I am simply too old for such adventures.
Take care

Edited by Katzenking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.