Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World's last known white giraffe gets GPS

Still Waters

The only known white giraffe in the world has been fitted with a GPS tracking device to help protect it from poachers as it grazes in Kenya. But despite its singular status, the lonely male doesn't have a name.

The white giraffe now stands alone after a female and her calf were killed by poachers in March, the Ishaqbini Hirola Community Conservancy said in a statement Tuesday.

A rare genetic trait called leucism causes the white color, and it makes the one surviving giraffe stand out dangerously for poachers in the arid savannah near the Somalia border.

Now the GPS tracking device, attached to one of the giraffe's horns, will ping every hour to alert wildlife rangers to its location.

https://phys.org/news/2020-11-world-white-giraffe-gps-tracking.html

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I was curious if leucism was similar to Albinism, so I searched it online. Wikipedia is not always the best source for information, but it describes the differences between leucism and albinism pretty well. Albinism is a genetic mutation. I remember that there was an albino male at one school that I went to. According to wikipedia,

"Genes that, when mutated, can cause leucism include c-kit,[10] mitf[11] and EDNRB.[12]"

So maybe in the future, this genetic mutation could occur again? Or am I misunderstanding? There is no wiki page created yet for the Kenya White Giraffe, but it lists other leucism species pages.

Does anyone have a wiki account and can perhaps create one to raise awareness for the giraffes situation?

"But despite its singular status, the lonely male doesn't have a name."

Can we name it?

Frozone. His real name was Lucious.. right? Close enough to leucism?