Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Unusual Shenanigans

jowasmus

17 minutes ago, jowasmus said:

I have to wonder why that author thought poltergeist activity was a possibility because of puberty & menopause. As many women deal with those issues, you'd think it would be more apparent if that was the case.

yes, exactly- good words:tu:

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

what??

Everyday life is not a story told to me. There are many grey areas in everyday life that involve real facts/ data/ information.. As I've said many times:

most if not all the data/ information you & I have to work with regarding the paranormal is at best nothing more than stories,
of which you & I do not know for sure really happened or is not at least highly exaggerated - yep, I'll add video footage to that as well

So you have never had an unexplainable or strange experience so you think no one else can either.   It doesn't matter if you believe people's stories.  Some are genuine and their interpretation of experiences may be what you have a problem with, not that they are telling you about it.  Maybe you are in the wrong sub forum.  I am not sure why you would bother if you have such a strong belief that non of it is true.

• Like 1

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

Some are genuine

how on earth can you know that!?!? you believe it, not know it, as your bold statement suggests

42 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

All due respect, Sir. All I'm saying is= IN_MY_OPINION the paranormal does not exist, it's not real therefore if what you say happened is true (I'm not going to know for sure, am I) & it happened to me, there's no way I'd be looking on a paranormal forum for answers because I'm sure it won't be paranormal..

There are no grey areas- you either believe or you don't IMO.... 

I just say it as I see it, nothing more, nothing less...Cheers

Actually, there are a lot of gray areas.

I started off with saying " I will start this off with the disclaimer that I don't believe in the paranormal, ufos, and that I read the stories for entertainment" and ended with saying " I can find a reason to dismiss them all... All that said, what are some other takes on the situation? I'm curious what y'all think."

I have also said " I can only go by what I know and what I experience. If I see enough proof though, I can reconsider. I'm just not there yet."

So far what I've gotten from you is that you are "not happy that I don't believe, yet ask questions, & am invading your area with my story and looking for answers beyond what I normally think." If that's all there is, why are you even commenting? You don't have to. One of my favorite people on this forum is papgeorge1. I don't look down on him for what he believes, he's pretty cool, & I enjoy what he has to say. I'm not making fun of him, you or anyone else here. Why are you bothered by me?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Dejarma said:

how on earth can you know that!?!? you believe it, not know it, as your bold statement suggests

I have had experiences, I know they are genuine, and I am not going to assume everyone else is lying.  I don't believe every thing I hear or read, but I think about it and if sometimes I ask questions.   So answer my question, if you are so against paranormal experiences, consider there are only two options - you believe or you don't - why bother with this forum?  Why not go to a hobby forum and talk about something you are actually  interested in?  When you refute all of it and insist everyone is making things up, the only reason you are here is to troll.  You are smart enough to know that you can't change anyone's mind any more than they can change yours.  So, why bother?  

2 minutes ago, jowasmus said:

Actually, there are a lot of gray areas.

I started off with saying " I will start this off with the disclaimer that I don't believe in the paranormal, ufos, and that I read the stories for entertainment" and ended with saying " I can find a reason to dismiss them all... All that said, what are some other takes on the situation? I'm curious what y'all think."

I have also said " I can only go by what I know and what I experience. If I see enough proof though, I can reconsider. I'm just not there yet."

So far what I've gotten from you is that you are "not happy that I don't believe, yet ask questions, & am invading your area with my story and looking for answers beyond what I normally think." If that's all there is, why are you even commenting? You don't have to. One of my favorite people on this forum is papgeorge1. I don't look down on him for what he believes, he's pretty cool, & I enjoy what he has to say. I'm not making fun of him, you or anyone else here. Why are you bothered by me?

fair enough, i'll leave you to get on, have fun;)

13 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I think the book was written in the 70's.  

I think your friend claiming "negative energy" was making something up.  Maybe they had money problems or something.  I have been around a lot of new agers over the years and anytime someone brings up "negative energy", they are the ones being negative.  

On the other hand, I have and friends have experienced feeling creepy in their own house and look for a reason but don't find it.  Sometimes that can be caused by a gas leak but when it turns out that is not the cause it helps to do something that a person believes in, like prayer, burning candles, what ever.  It is a tool to relieve the mind, like a person afraid society is going to fall apart stock piling food and supplies, that lessens their anxiety and that is what rituals are for, mental empowerment.  

I really think you will find a natural, physical reason for the weirdness.   Sometimes tectonic activity is strong enough to rattle a wall but not strong enough to break a foundation or even be heard by normal human hearing.  Maybe you could get a seismometer and let it record for a week to see what is going on underground.

If you can't find a physical explanation, my opinion is that what we call paranormal is just things we don't have an understanding of yet.  It is not always imagination, just not understood.

I don't agree with @Dejarma about this subject or any subject being black and white, you can stand in the middle and be agnostic or you can accept that not everything is explainable.

WOW! I'm really surprised at it being the 70s. I really expected older than that.

That's kinda what we thought of the "negative energy," but they wouldn't explain beyond that. It was a weird conversation. Other people had rented the house before that & the only problem was not being able to pay the rent & the guy that tried to steal electricity. LOL

Are seismometers actually something a person can get cheap? Man, that would be cool.

Like I said before, there are a LOT of things I don't understand. I appreciate the fact that along with your beliefs & experiences, you can also go to tectonic activity & gas leaks. Believe it or not, our natural gas tank was just leaking. We had it fixed this last week & my daughter had been around it petting a cat from next door a bit before she saw her brother. I now wonder if that affected her. She wasn't out there long, but she was right beside it & said it smelled weird outside. That's why we called the gas company.

I don't agree with Dejarma either, but he is allowed to believe what he wants.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2020 at 3:06 PM, jowasmus said:

I will start this off with the disclaimer that I don't believe in the paranormal, ufos, and that I read the stories for entertainment. What I'm telling you though happened this week. For reference, today is Wednesday.

The 1st thing happened Monday morning. My wife had got up and I was still in bed. Something fell in the next room. She thought I'd done something. I thought she or one of the kids had done something. Nothing major, but she started asking me what I did. We looked, but didn't find anything. She stomps every step through the house. I lovingly call her "bull moose." That was the end of it.

Okay, it really wasn't. I was in the bathroom in our room 10 minutes later. A can of air freshener just fell off the toilet lid and the orange top (you mash to spray) came flying at me. It missed, but the odd thing is that the can is not on the end. There's a small bottle of foot spray. Either both cans should have fell or the air freshener decided to excuse itself around the foot spray to fall in the floor. If it had moved forward, it would have fell in the toilet. Really glad it didn't. LOL

The next thing happened Tuesday at about 5pm. I'd just got off work. The in-law's live next door. I could see where I was going easily, but it started getting dark about 30 minutes earlier. Something dark and erratic flew right by me nearly hitting me. It swooped directly under the deck at their side door like it knew where it was going. I thought bird? Bat? I decided not to look under the deck. I didn't want to get attacked by a Covid carrying critter. :wacko:

The last thing happened shortly after we got home. My wife was taking a shower, I was on the phone with my mom, and my kids were doing their usual thing. My daughter was getting her supper when her younger brother walked out of his room and into the computer/laundry room. She started talking to him and walked to the door, but he wasn't in there. He opened his bedroom door to see what she was saying. I had just walked out of the room. There was a mirror facing me and the hall where I was walking. I saw my daughter walk into the hall and heard her speak. I did not see my son, but I was taking up most of the mirror space due to being closer to it than them. I did see his door open and him come out to speak to her.

When I was a kid, my mom worked for a local hospital. "George" was the one to blame there when something came up missing or things happened. We blamed George at my house when nobody else did it. I guess he's followed me to my home as well. LOL

I can find a reason to dismiss them all. The 1st was my wife stomping. The 2nd was just coincidence that I have experienced before. The 3rd was a bat. The last was the fact that my daughter hasn't been feeling well and I have had situations hallucinating as a child when I was feeling bad. All that said, what are some other takes on the situation? I'm curious what y'all think. I live in Alabama with enough local Civil War stories both real and imagined that it ain't even funny.

From reading your post this all happened in one day?  Does that mean nothing else has happened before or since?  

When you said you checked everywhere to see what fell, did you?  I mean it would be easy to forget the attic, closet/wardrobe or something and did the thing actually fall to the floor could it have fallen against something?  

With regards to the spray was it definitely behind something, could they have been switched and you hadn't  noticed?

Apologies if these questions have already been asked trying to multi task.

7 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

fair enough, i'll leave you to get on, have fun

WHOAH!!! Whoah! Whoah. I didn't mean for you to leave. I like discussing. I just wasn't sure why what I thought bothered you. It came out meaner than I meant. I'm sorry.

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

So answer my question, if you are so against paranormal experiences, consider there are only two options - you believe or you don't - why bother with this forum?

good question.. It's a feeble attempt at trying to get people like you to see what BS it all is...

I class myself as the Christopher Hitchens of the paranormal.:)

Someone posted a thread asking what's going on= I said IN_MY_OPINION there is nothing paranormal happening.

This is a public open forum, are you suggesting i should say nothing?? If you don't like what i have to say then ignore me- simple init

You mentioned sub forums earlier:

if you want to talk paranormal with other believers then set up a forum where only believers need reply.. Then out of respect I wouldn't reply.... . Does that answer your question? Oh joy

2 minutes ago, TashaMarie said:

From reading your post this all happened in one day?  Does that mean nothing else has happened before or since?  

When you said you checked everywhere to see what fell, did you?  I mean it would be easy to forget the attic, closet/wardrobe or something and did the thing actually fall to the floor could it have fallen against something?  

With regards to the spray was it definitely behind something, could they have been switched and you hadn't  noticed?

Apologies if these questions have already been asked trying to multi task.

Yes, that's my issue. One thing happening is "okay," two things happening is "coincidence," but so many in one day threw me.

We have the occasional "what was that!?!" moment, but nothing really scary.

Checked everywhere, but the attic, but it didn't sound like it came from the attic. It sounded to me like the next room where my wife & son was. It sounded to them like the next room where I was. My daughter in a different room thought it came from where my wife & son were.

I call myself looking as I walked into the room, but they could have been switched. 4 people are in & out of that room constantly. I'd be lying to say it could have not been switched.

As for my daughter seeing my son, I didn't think about it, but my daughter had been outside petting a cat & found our natural gas tank had a leak. We just had it fixed. She wasn't outside long, but I don't know how long she was outside. That could have been the issue with what she saw. We have now had the leak fixed by the gas company.

No problem, ask away. I multi task too. LOL

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dejarma said:

Someone posted a thread asking what's going on= I said IN_MY_OPINION there is nothing paranormal happening.

Now I stand corrected. I am sorry. I asked a question & you legitimately answered. Your opinion on the subject is both valued & appreciated. I misunderstood where you were coming from, sir.

• Like 1

Just now, XenoFish said:

There are just some things you toss into your "that was weird?!?" file.

That is true. I'm nearly 48. Over time I have acquired a lot of "that was weird" moments, but nothing really drastic.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jowasmus said:

That is true. I'm nearly 48. Over time I have acquired a lot of "that was weird" moments, but nothing really drastic.

I'll hit 42 next month. I've got a ton of weird experiences. None of which I take seriously. 

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

I'll hit 42 next month. I've got a ton of weird experiences. None of which I take seriously.

That's my deal. I don't take things too seriously either, but when my kids started getting a bit nervous, it hits me a little different. My son saw a "ghost" when he was small. We didn't believe him & tried to show him everything was fine. 2 days later we realized he was seeing the shadow on the wall where his nightlight was shining through a lamp on his dresser. It looked like a cartoon ghost. He was upset that we didn't believe him. After that, I started listening & even if I believe or not, I still have to do what I can to protect the family. That time was easy. We just moved his lamp. LOL

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jowasmus said:

WHOAH!!! Whoah! Whoah. I didn't mean for you to leave.

i know;) you worry too much, I felt nothing derogatory from you- when I said I'll leave you to it, I meant I'll leave you to ponder over a paranormal explanation-- enjoy yourself B)

14 minutes ago, jowasmus said:

Yes, that's my issue. One thing happening is "okay," two things happening is "coincidence," but so many in one day threw me.

We have the occasional "what was that!?!" moment, but nothing really scary.

Checked everywhere, but the attic, but it didn't sound like it came from the attic. It sounded to me like the next room where my wife & son was. It sounded to them like the next room where I was. My daughter in a different room thought it came from where my wife & son were.

I call myself looking as I walked into the room, but they could have been switched. 4 people are in & out of that room constantly. I'd be lying to say it could have not been switched.

As for my daughter seeing my son, I didn't think about it, but my daughter had been outside petting a cat & found our natural gas tank had a leak. We just had it fixed. She wasn't outside long, but I don't know how long she was outside. That could have been the issue with what she saw. We have now had the leak fixed by the gas company.

No problem, ask away. I multi task too. LOL

I honestly think it was just one of those days.  I have had some where if I believed in curses I would truly thought I'd been cursed.

I'm glad the leak was noticed and fixed and it may have been a reason for her thinking she had seen her brother.

On 11/18/2020 at 3:06 PM, jowasmus said:

I will start this off with the disclaimer that I don't believe in the paranormal, ufos, and that I read the stories for entertainment. What I'm telling you though happened this week. For reference, today is Wednesday.

The 1st thing happened Monday morning. My wife had got up and I was still in bed. Something fell in the next room. She thought I'd done something. I thought she or one of the kids had done something. Nothing major, but she started asking me what I did. We looked, but didn't find anything. She stomps every step through the house. I lovingly call her "bull moose." That was the end of it.

Okay, it really wasn't. I was in the bathroom in our room 10 minutes later. A can of air freshener just fell off the toilet lid and the orange top (you mash to spray) came flying at me. It missed, but the odd thing is that the can is not on the end. There's a small bottle of foot spray. Either both cans should have fell or the air freshener decided to excuse itself around the foot spray to fall in the floor. If it had moved forward, it would have fell in the toilet. Really glad it didn't. LOL

The next thing happened Tuesday at about 5pm. I'd just got off work. The in-law's live next door. I could see where I was going easily, but it started getting dark about 30 minutes earlier. Something dark and erratic flew right by me nearly hitting me. It swooped directly under the deck at their side door like it knew where it was going. I thought bird? Bat? I decided not to look under the deck. I didn't want to get attacked by a Covid carrying critter. :wacko:

The last thing happened shortly after we got home. My wife was taking a shower, I was on the phone with my mom, and my kids were doing their usual thing. My daughter was getting her supper when her younger brother walked out of his room and into the computer/laundry room. She started talking to him and walked to the door, but he wasn't in there. He opened his bedroom door to see what she was saying. I had just walked out of the room. There was a mirror facing me and the hall where I was walking. I saw my daughter walk into the hall and heard her speak. I did not see my son, but I was taking up most of the mirror space due to being closer to it than them. I did see his door open and him come out to speak to her.

When I was a kid, my mom worked for a local hospital. "George" was the one to blame there when something came up missing or things happened. We blamed George at my house when nobody else did it. I guess he's followed me to my home as well. LOL

I can find a reason to dismiss them all. The 1st was my wife stomping. The 2nd was just coincidence that I have experienced before. The 3rd was a bat. The last was the fact that my daughter hasn't been feeling well and I have had situations hallucinating as a child when I was feeling bad. All that said, what are some other takes on the situation? I'm curious what y'all think. I live in Alabama with enough local Civil War stories both real and imagined that it ain't even funny.

Do you have hypnic jerks or exploding head syndrome when going through a period of stress that stops you sleeping properly? Have you noticed at the exact moment they happen something falls off a shelf? Almost like a shock wave radiates out from you when they activate?

I had one and my whole bed shunted about 3 foot forward. I had another and a load of bottles fell off the shelve in the bathroom.

I have also been just waking up in the morning to feel something getting up off the end of my bed which creeped me the hell out. I was the only one in the house at the time.

2 hours ago, Dejarma said:

You believe nothing paranormal ever happens, how do you know? That's your belief and opinion, good on you. 

40 minutes ago, openozy said:

You believe nothing paranormal ever happens, how do you know? 

if any of my close friends who I regard as highly intelligent & level headed, of whom I've known a few for over 55 years..
& one of them told me they've had an experience- that would be job done for me.. & all of us would look into it deeply to try & find out WTF's going on. In a place like this/ reading books etc I've no idea who's telling me the story..

I don't know you for example-- so why should I believe you or anyone else when telling me a story?? In 62 years of existing on this planet I've not experienced anything of this nature.. Neither has anyone I know. People are weird, you know that- folk make up SH++ all the time to gain something in one form or another.

I would not need proof from any of my close friends to take it seriously.
Do you understand that or not? So don't get so cranky because people like my good self don't believe.. If the paranormal is real then it's not my fault I haven't experienced it...

To answer your quoted question=what's the saying:

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. 

How long have humans been on this planet? Yet after thousands of years still no proof.. If it were real we would know of it by now IMHO..

With regards to aliens on this planet, bigfoot & the paranormal in general= logically how long should we wait before we start saying: The absence of evidence can only mean evidence of absence?

Do you think that in 100 years time people will still be pondering over the meaning of crop circles?:sleepy:

anyways cheers oz me ol' mate;)

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

if any of my close friends who I regard as highly intelligent & level headed, of whom I've known a few for over 55 years..
& one of them told me they've had an experience- that would be job done for me.. & all of us would look into it deeply to try & find out WTF's going on. In a place like this/ reading books etc I've no idea who's telling me the story..

I don't know you for example-- so why should I believe you or anyone else when telling me a story?? In 62 years of existing on this planet I've not experienced anything of this nature.. Neither has anyone I know. People are weird, you know that- folk make up SH++ all the time to gain something in one form or another.

I would not need proof from any of my close friends to take it seriously.
Do you understand that or not? So don't get so cranky because people like my good self don't believe.. If the paranormal is real then it's not my fault I haven't experienced it...

To answer your quoted question=what's the saying:

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. 

How long have humans been on this planet? Yet after thousands of years still no proof.. If it were real we would know of it by now IMHO..

With regards to aliens on this planet, bigfoot & the paranormal in general= logically how long should we wait before we start saying: The absence of evidence can only mean evidence of absence?

Do you think that in 100 years time people will still be pondering over the meaning of crop circles?:sleepy:

anyways cheers oz me ol' mate;)

Thanks for explaining your position on that and I respect what others believe. As you say, certain people you know well are believed, none on a forum should expect to be. Sort of a waste of time discussing your own beliefs and experiences but it is good if others have had the same and we may get some validation or advice.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dejarma said:

good question.. It's a feeble attempt at trying to get people like you to see what BS it all is...

I class myself as the Christopher Hitchens of the paranormal.:)

This is a public open forum, are you suggesting i should say nothing?? If you don't like what i have to say then ignore me- simple init

You mentioned sub forums earlier:

if you want to talk paranormal with other believers then set up a forum where only believers need reply.. Then out of respect I wouldn't reply.... . Does that answer your question? Oh joy

No, I am not suggesting you say nothing, I am suggesting you be honest about why you bother.  Thank you for that.  Of course you would be as effective in a religious forum telling people god doesn't exist, but if it floats your boat you go ahead.  At least you do use "in my opinion".  

• Like 1

On 11/21/2020 at 2:55 PM, Dejarma said:

i know;) you worry too much, I felt nothing derogatory from you- when I said I'll leave you to it, I meant I'll leave you to ponder over a paranormal explanation-- enjoy yourself 

Got ya. Thanks. I gotta work on reading too much into things. LOL