Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Human ageing process biologically reversed

Still Waters

I have a hard time believing somethig as simple as an oxygen pressure chamber does anything like that. But hey, sign me up, couldn't hurt.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, moonman said:

I have a hard time believing somethig as simple as an oxygen pressure chamber does anything like that. How could they even measure such a thing?

Ive got to admit some skepticism myself.

They are saying all the right words, but I'm not seeing much about actual physical results.

Is the reversal theoretical? Or are there notable practical examples?

Edited by psyche101

18 hours ago, Still Waters said:

The ageing process has been biologically reversed for the first time by giving humans oxygen therapy in a pressurised chamber.

Scientists in Israel showed they could turn back the clock in two key areas of the body believed to be responsible for the frailty and ill-health that comes with growing older.

As people age, the protective caps at the ends of chromosomes – called telomeres – shorten, causing DNA to become damaged and cells to stop replicating. At the same time, "zombie" senescent cells build up in the body, preventing regeneration.

Increasing telemere length and getting rid of senescent cells is the focus of many anti-ageing studies, and drugs are being developed to target those areas.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/human-ageing-process-biologically-reversed-153921028.html

Where is it, and how much... ? Take my money already... stiff back, stiff knees, no sleep...I said take my money. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, ExoPaul said:

Didn't Michael Jackson do this kind of thing way back in the '80s?

Yeah I think he used a Hyperbaric Chamber. Seems to have worked out well.:rolleyes:

• Haha 1

On 11/20/2020 at 3:02 AM, Kismit said:

Where is it, and how much... ? Take my money already... stiff back, stiff knees, no sleep...I said take my money. 

You actually can buy air pressure chamber for 8-20K. Michael Jackson use to use it believing it helped his health. 

It's looks like a skin tanning pod basically. 

The real question is how effective increasing telomore length is when it comes to improving health. Telomore length is a promising area of research but the verdict is still not conclusive.

Second question is if this elongation last long term or if it's a temporary effect that dissapears after 6 months.

Now scientists at Tel Aviv University have shown that giving pure oxygen to older people while in a hyperbaric chamber increased the length of their telomeres by 20 per cent, a feat that has never been achieved before.

Still cool to see though. Look forward to follow-up studies in the future.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

Sign me up... I know there are procedural barriers, but still...

On 11/19/2020 at 11:27 PM, moonman said:

I have a hard time believing somethig as simple as an oxygen pressure chamber does anything like that. But hey, sign me up, couldn't hurt.

I think the key word might have been "includes". They didn't actually tell us the entire process.

• Like 2

And we're one step closer to the distopia of rule by Undead Plutocratic Oligarchy.

Edited by Seti42
  • Haha 1

Well I hope they are sure because I am taking steps now to make this a business. I figure its a guaranteed sell renting them like tanning booths once the covid fearmongering is over.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Nnicolette said:

Well I hope they are sure because I am taking steps now to make this a business. I figure its a guaranteed sell renting them like tanning booths once the covid fearmongering is over.

That's enterprising.

Good on you. I wish you well.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Nnicolette said:

I'm curious, did you just now decide that from the article or was this already a plan ahead of time ?

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I'm curious, did you just now decide that from the article or was this already a plan ahead of time ?

It's been a plan since this afternoon :tsu:

My real estate wholesaling partner was just offering to lend me for a down payment on a house though, I figure he may find this more profitable so I am pretty confident it will happen. He has been so amazing finding me free properties and such so far. I just hope you guys don't beat me too it now that the cats out of the bag haha.

Edited by Nnicolette
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Nnicolette said:

It's been a plan since this afternoon :tsu:

My real estate wholesaling partner was just offering to lend me for a down payment on a house though, I figure he may find this more profitable so I am pretty confident it will happen. He has been so amazing finding me free properties and such so far. I just hope you guys don't beat me too it now that the cats out of the bag haha.

Lol yeah nah, I'm in the electrical industry. Construction. Not my area, I don't think I'd do well lol. I do like the way you're thinking here though. Smart.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nnicolette said:

I think the key word might have been "includes". They didn't actually tell us the entire process.

Yet you would start a business on it from a single article? Seems a tad premature don't you think? 

Edited by moonman

On 11/19/2020 at 1:18 PM, Still Waters said:

The ageing process has been biologically reversed for the first time by giving humans oxygen therapy in a pressurised chamber.

Scientists in Israel showed they could turn back the clock in two key areas of the body believed to be responsible for the frailty and ill-health that comes with growing older.

As people age, the protective caps at the ends of chromosomes – called telomeres – shorten, causing DNA to become damaged and cells to stop replicating. At the same time, "zombie" senescent cells build up in the body, preventing regeneration.

Increasing telemere length and getting rid of senescent cells is the focus of many anti-ageing studies, and drugs are being developed to target those areas.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/human-ageing-process-biologically-reversed-153921028.html

I have looked at the papers and the study doesnt reverse aging by increasing the oxygen supply to a patients cells, but rather by inducing hypoxia. That is low oxygen levels, in case people get the wrong impression from reading the article. The treatment lowers a persons oxygen levels for 90 minutes a day over a period of several weeks to clear out a lot of senescent cells and extend telomere length.

The HIF genes upregulate when oxygen levels are low to kill of cells so that a person can survive on the reduced oxygen availability. They also kill cells when we die (aka, our circulation stops reducing oxygen supply to cells). Moderate hypoxia (not enough to cause brain or organ damage) means the persons senescent cells are targeted first and in younger cells DNA repair pathways are more active.

There is also ample evidence that `Fountains of Youth` claims or hot baths are true. But its not just the heat needed to get a persons cells to release Heat Shock Proteins, its also about what food they have in their digestive tracts at the time. This is because some food components are known to block the production of Heat Shock Proteins in, and only in, senescent cells. So those ones suicide instead of repairing their heat damage.

Its the pigment that makes red onions and red lettuce red. Unfortunately when consumed with protein it is de-activated so a person is going to need a couple days of salads with no animal protein. Then hit the hot bath. 

With autophagy pathways (DNA repair) we know that calorie restriction activates one lot, protein restriction activates another lot, but there is as of yet a lot for which no one knows how it works. I propose its active when a person is dehydrated. So maybe we should be having 3-1 drinking patterns where we have fluids for free days and go thirsty for the next.

Back to hypoxia and HIF-1 is a complex gene. When oxygen levels drop it causes aging, but there is an adaptive process where frequent exposure to low oxygen makes the HIF matrix stable extending lifespan in model organisms by up to 50%. As the patients in the article were getting this done by 90 minutes everyday of low oxygen then the aim has been to activate HIF-1 initially (causing aging) then to make the HIF matrix stable by repeated exposure to de-age them.

Edited by Cookie Monster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

I have looked at the papers and the study doesnt reverse aging by increasing the oxygen supply to a patients cells, but rather by inducing hypoxia. That is low oxygen levels, in case people get the wrong impression from reading the article. The treatment lowers a persons oxygen levels for 90 minutes a day over a period of several weeks to clear out a lot of senescent cells and extend telomere length.

The HIF genes upregulate when oxygen levels are low to kill of cells so that a person can survive on the reduced oxygen availability. They also kill cells when we die (aka, our circulation stops reducing oxygen supply to cells). Moderate hypoxia (not enough to cause brain or organ damage) means the persons senescent cells are targeted first and in younger cells DNA repair pathways are more active.

There is also ample evidence that `Fountains of Youth` claims or hot baths are true. But its not just the heat needed to get a persons cells to release Heat Shock Proteins, its also about what food they have in their digestive tracts at the time. This is because some food components are known to block the production of Heat Shock Proteins in, and only in, senescent cells. So those ones suicide instead of repairing their heat damage.

Its the pigment that makes red onions and red lettuce red. Unfortunately when consumed with protein it is de-activated so a person is going to need a couple days of salads with no animal protein. Then hit the hot bath. 

With autophagy pathways (DNA repair) we know that calorie restriction activates one lot, protein restriction activates another lot, but there is as of yet a lot for which no one knows how it works. I propose its active when a person is dehydrated. So maybe we should be having 3-1 drinking patterns where we have fluids for free days and go thirsty for the next.

Back to hypoxia and HIF-1 is a complex gene. When oxygen levels drop it causes aging, but there is an adaptive process where frequent exposure to low oxygen makes the HIF matrix stable extending lifespan in model organisms by up to 50%. As the patients in the article were getting this done by 90 minutes everyday of low oxygen then the aim has been to activate HIF-1 initially (causing aging) then to make the HIF matrix stable by repeated exposure to de-age them.

Well there is no way Im doing all that... I choose death.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, moonman said:

Yet you would start a business on it from a single article? Seems a tad premature don't you think? 

we all premature at something

Not new on the planet here.

If they ever do get an effective anti- aging process it will cost, at a minimum, $100,000 per month.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Twin said:

Not new on the planet here.

If they ever do get an effective anti- aging process it will cost, at a minimum, $100,000 per month.

That would make pretty poor business practice (blocking out 95% percent of your customers lol) and run contrary to how technology works historically.

New tech starts high and gets cheaper as it goes. Like with cars, computers, phones, etc.

Hyperbolic chambers currently cost 8-20k to buy right now so it would be odd for such a price jump. A competitor could easily undercut you with a cheaper price.

• Like 1

Although we all would like to live longer and better perhaps but that would be a mistake for the survival of the human race. This would most certainly quickly increase the population of the planet and what we need to do to survive is to reduce our populations (and quickly) The planet cannot support more people.