Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The effectiveness of affirmative action

OverSword

I urge everyone to listen to this whole thing, there is something here nearly everyone can get behind.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Raptor Witness said:

The second thing I would disagree with, is the selection of Kamala Harris, for VP, which I thought was a brilliant move by Joe Biden.

Personally I find her to be a very rude, disagreeable and obviously phony person and I've thought that for years.  

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Raptor Witness said:

The second thing I would disagree with, is the selection of Kamala Harris, for VP, which I thought was a brilliant move by Joe Biden. 

No question that is was a good move to get better election results.   The dumb thing he did was to proclaim that his VP had to be a woman and had to be black.   He didn't need to and shouldn't have said that.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Man, you expect to me watch a 10 minute video :ph34r: lol.

• Haha 4

23 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Man, you expect to me watch a 10 minute video :ph34r: lol.

Millennials :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

Personally I find her to be a very rude, disagreeable and obviously phony person and I've thought that for years.  

In other words, A Politician.   :lol:  And she is a politician, right?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Myles said:

No question that is was a good move to get better election results.   The dumb thing he did was to proclaim that his VP had to be a woman and had to be black.   He didn't need to and shouldn't have said that.  

Right, especially since Kamal Harris is not black.  She is brown but everyone says "at least she is a woman of color".   It always has bugged me that skin is so important.  A lot of women were hoping Hillary would win last time just because she is a woman, but she is not a good representative, just a politician.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

In other words, A Politician.   :lol:  And she is a politician, right?

So was Ron Paul but I didn't feel he was disagreeable or phony at all.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

So was Ron Paul but I didn't feel he was disagreeable or phony at all.  

Well, you identify with him somehow.  Politicians are all phoney somehow, but there may be degrees of it as I like Deb Haaland and Martin Heinrich is ok in my book because he didn't decide to keep running over and over and he is an environmentalist, but I don't for one second expect either of them to be 100% honest because they both had to make compromises to get where they are.  I don't know much about senators and congress people from other states, but I do know how the system works.  Someone has to buy you in order for the party to support you.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, OverSword said:

I’m slowly warming to her. I didn’t care for her in the primary, but I’m willing to give her a chance as V.P.  She’s the polar opposite of Pence, which is refreshing. Pence was a nothing but a yes-man, whereas Kamala clearly has a mind of her own.

She’s an important symbol to both women and minorities, and that’s a useful safety valve, especially now.

Edited by Raptor Witness

1 minute ago, Raptor Witness said:

I’m slowly warming to her. I didn’t care for her in the primary, but I’m willing to give her a chance as V.P.  She’s the polar opposite of Pence, which is refreshing. Pence was a nothing but a yes-man. whereas Kamala clearly has a mind of her own.

She’s an important symbol to both women and minorities, and that’s a useful safety valve, especially now.

You should love her by the year 2022 when she takes over then.  Although according to your description she's more like trump than like biden. :lol:

5 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Well, you identify with him somehow.  Politicians are all phoney somehow, but there may be degrees of it as I like Deb Haaland and Martin Heinrich is ok in my book because he didn't decide to keep running over and over and he is an environmentalist, but I don't for one second expect either of them to be 100% honest because they both had to make compromises to get where they are.  I don't know much about senators and congress people from other states, but I do know how the system works.  Someone has to buy you in order for the party to support you.

Ron Paul was phony in that he was not really a republican, but a Free Market Libertarian.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Myles said:

I completely disagree, I think encouraging the black vote, was crucial in this election.

11 hours ago, Raptor Witness said:

I completely disagree, I think encouraging the black vote, was crucial in this election.

Choosing her encouraged the black vote.    Saying that they had to be black and a woman just takes away from her accomplishment.   Leaves the question - Did she get it on her own merit or did she get it because she is black and a woman?  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Myles said:

Choosing her encouraged the black vote.    Saying that they had to be black and a woman just takes away from her accomplishment.   Leaves the question - Did she get it on her own merit or did she get it because she is black and a woman?  

We will continue to have to put up with this sillyness until everyone (EVERYONE) admits that there is only one human race on the planet and skin color has nothing to do with character.  And it isn't just the pink/beige people who use this it is also every other skin tone.  And in every group there is someone like me shouting "there is only one human race on this planet" but it is more fun to be angry at someone you don't know, it is also more dangerous and bad for your health to be angry at someone you don't know (impotent, ignorant anger causes all kinds of ailments).  And keeping everyone divided gives the power to a small group who love power (and they are not all of pink/beige skin tone)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

We will continue to have to put up with this sillyness until everyone (EVERYONE) admits that there is only one human race on the planet and skin color has nothing to do with character.  And it isn't just the pink/beige people who use this it is also every other skin tone.  And in every group there is someone like me shouting "there is only one human race on this planet" but it is more fun to be angry at someone you don't know, it is also more dangerous and bad for your health to be angry at someone you don't know (impotent, ignorant anger causes all kinds of ailments).  And keeping everyone divided gives the power to a small group who love power (and they are not all of pink/beige skin tone)

I agree.   I think it is good that we have a colored woman as the VP.   That's as far as I'll go because I don't really like her or her political views.  That has nothing to do with race though.  I don't like Jo**** either.  

I'm not a fan of someone getting a position because of there race.   

20 minutes ago, Myles said:

I agree.   I think it is good that we have a colored woman as the VP.   That's as far as I'll go because I don't really like her or her political views.  That has nothing to do with race though.  I don't like Jo**** either.  

I'm not a fan of someone getting a position because of there race.   

The politically correct mob is going to hang you.  But if you are not in the U.S. I understand that description word is acceptable.  The thing is, we are all "colored",  I am a woman of color, it just happens that my color is pink & beige.  You said you agree, then actually did what I was railing against.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, OverSword said:

So anybody who supported Donald Trump does /not/ get to complain about anything like that for the rest of their natural lives. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

And keeping everyone divided gives the power to a small group who love power (and they are not all of pink/beige skin tone)

Um, there's basically just Oprah in that particular group. And the reason for affirmative action is that while people these days might not be quite so racist, there's still a LOT of ****ing racists in this country, and the aftereffects of **** like redlining and Jim Crow still echo through the ages. 

3 minutes ago, Autochthon1990 said:

Um, there's basically just Oprah in that particular group. And the reason for affirmative action is that while people these days might not be quite so racist, there's still a LOT of ****ing racists in this country, and the aftereffects of **** like redlining and Jim Crow still echo through the ages. 

But it is NOT affective, it perpetrates more division, resentment from all sides.   And all that is just what you read in the history books to justify a bad idea.  And there is not just Oprah, and it is not JUST about "whites" and "blacks".

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

The politically correct mob is going to hang you.  But if you are not in the U.S. I understand that description word is acceptable.  The thing is, we are all "colored",  I am a woman of color, it just happens that my color is pink & beige.  You said you agree, then actually did what I was railing against.

Since she is not black, I guess I should have said "woman of color".  It just doesn't seen much different than "colored woman".  

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

Since she is not black, I guess I should have said "woman of color".  It just doesn't seen much different than "colored woman".  

Or you could have just said she is a woman.  That is what my whole diatribe was about, skin color has no real indication of competence or character.   In reality, what you said is not any different but people set words up in their minds as triggers.  That is where political correctness comes from.  And the term "colored" has been considered an insult for decades, where have you been?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Autochthon1990 said:

So anybody who supported Donald Trump does /not/ get to complain about anything like that for the rest of their natural lives. 

Are you talking to me?  Please find an example of me supporting trump or p*** off.

25 minutes ago, Autochthon1990 said:

Hilariously the same people that complained about redlining now consider gentrification a crime against humanity.  You can't have it both ways.  If you think both are wrong then your opinion doesn't count. 

• Like 3