Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

'Silent hypoxia' in COVID-19 patients

Eldorado

Despite experiencing dangerously low levels of oxygen, many people infected with severe cases of COVID-19 sometimes show no symptoms of shortness of breath or difficulty breathing.

Hypoxia's ability to quietly inflict damage is why it's been coined "silent." In coronavirus patients, it's thought that the infection first damages the lungs, rendering parts of them incapable of functioning properly.

Those tissues lose oxygen and stop working, no longer infusing the blood stream with oxygen, causing silent hypoxia. But exactly how that domino effect occurs has not been clear until now.

"We didn't know [how this] was physiologically possible," says Bela Suki, a BU College of Engineering professor of biomedical engineering and of materials science and engineering and one of the authors of the study.

Full article at Science Daily: Link

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ouija ouija

Hi El :st, how're you doing? I have a question: what would noisy hypoxia be like? :mellow:

• Like 1

Eldorado
54 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Hi El :st, how're you doing? I have a question: what would noisy hypoxia be like? :mellow:

Hiya!  Am fine, thanks, hope you are too.

Noisy hypoxia = wheezing or crackles.

Signs & Symptoms: https://opentextbc.ca/clinicalskills/chapter/5-3-causes-of-hypoxemia-2/

• Like 1

ouija ouija
1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

Hiya!  Am fine, thanks, hope you are too.

Noisy hypoxia = wheezing or crackles.

Signs & Symptoms: https://opentextbc.ca/clinicalskills/chapter/5-3-causes-of-hypoxemia-2/

Okay . . . I thought I was being terribly amusing with my original comment :lol: . . . . . . . :blush: That link has put me in my place!

I'm glad you're well; I am too. Thank you for continuing to post snips of poetry every now and again :tsu:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1