Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Smart doorbells 'easy target for hackers'

Eldorado

Major security flaws in popular smart doorbells are putting consumers at risk of being targeted by hackers inside their homes, according to Which.

The consumer group says devices being sold on marketplaces such as Amazon and eBay, could easily be hacked or switched off by criminals.

It is asking the government for new legislation to safeguard consumers.

Amazon has removed at least seven product listings in response to the findings.

Full heads-up at the BBC: Link

• Like 2

I’ve got a smart doorbell, pretty much everything in my house that can be “smart” is set up.

But, not being a fool, I also have an independent dead bolt and other independent locks on any entrances. If someone gets by those, my three large dogs and several guns should make them think twice. ;)

If someone spends the time to hack into my system and get access to my cameras, have fun watching two 50 plus people doing very boring stuff.

I love the Jetsons aspect of my home but I never depend on one thing.

Nibs

• Like 5

I don't have anything smart except my weather station that I have not set up yet, just got it.  I had to pull the door bell off the wall by the front door because it hasn't worked in years and people would come by and think they were ringing it.  It wasn't a problem until my two big dogs died.  They heard everything and I called them my door bell.  I think about getting a camera for my driveway because of some of the neighbor's "friends/customers" using my driveway to turn around, (I have a circle driveway).  

Not going there with the smart appliances.  My kids have alexa and I keep telling them they need to be more polite because someday there is going to be a war between Alexa, Cortana and Siri and you may not survive if those entities think you are rude.   :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

we don't do smart but we got 2 dogs the younger of the 2 prefers to lay in wait in the porch out the back but if anyone who he dosn't know he can be a bit lively 

• Like 1

I love talking to my house and having it do my bidding! Family talks back.

I can tell my phone to vacuum the living room while I’m driving.

Having some one peeking into my door or hacking the doorbell is worth the risk.

My grandchildren are so used to it that they have told the lights to turn on at my sisters...she doesn’t have any smart appliances.

Nibs

• Haha 1

An outage with Amazon's web infrastructure left smart-home enthusiasts unable to use basic household items.

Amazon Web Services is a huge part of the company's business and the backbone of the internet's most popular sites and services.

A widespread US outage late on Wednesday disrupted many of those services.

Robot vacuums and smart doorbells suddenly stopped working in people's homes.

Full monty at the BBC: Link

• Sad 1