Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Return of firing squads and electrocutions

Eldorado

One proposal has raced through the process with little notice but unusual speed — and deadly consequences.

This rule could reintroduce firing squads and electrocutions for federal executions, giving the government more options for administering capital punishment as drugs used in lethal injections become unavailable.

The Justice Department surfaced the proposal in August and accepted public comments for only 30 days, instead of the usual 60.

Full monty at ProPublica: Link

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

With how much money it cost for "lethal injections," it just seems logical that a firing squad would make more sense. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

With how much money it cost for "lethal injections," it just seems logical that a firing squad would make more sense. 

I've heard about this, but why is it so costly?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spartan max2 said:

Wouldn't even need a squad. Just one single bullet to the skull. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, acute said:

I've heard about this, but why is it so costly?

I'm not completely sure, but I think it's something to do with the cost of the drug but more so because it takes a skilled medical professional to do the inject right. 

It's really painful if you get the mix wrong. 

Whereas bullets are cheap and it doesn't take a medical professional to pull the trigger.

Edited by spartan max2

I'm all for some deathmatch arena for death row inmates. Lock them in with weapons and tell'em if they win they're free. I'll call it The Running Man.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, spartan max2 said:

My guess is that the Liberals who deplore serious repercussions even for murderers, have created this turn of events.  They've protested and sued and generally shamed any state government that follows through on executing murderers.  The consequences of their lobbying is that companies that produce the drugs that were being used in an effort to have the death be as humane as possible, has led to the lack of availability of those drugs.  

Instead of tying up executions or slowing them, state legislatures have gone back to the tried and true means.  Funny how such pressure can lead to the exact opposite outcome, innit?  :yes:

23 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Whereas bullets are cheap and it doesn't take a medical professional to pull the trigger.

Even cheaper and only one cost.

cashspecial_25_509739_stunner_diagram_1.

Pull the trigger and get a spike through the skull. They come in pneumatic (air powered).

Edited by XenoFish
  • Haha 1

I didn't read the article as carefully as I should have.  I didn't realize this was a Federal policy change.  It's just a matter of time until some Democrat starts screeching about "threats" against potential defendants in electoral fraud trials or some such... :w00t:  If even a small portion of what his team is revealing can be proven, it's not impossible that the guilty could be tried as traitors in a military tribunal at Gitmo.  

I just heard a Giuliani witness speaking about a few hundred thousand votes being entered into the system in the wee hours with 97% for Biden and ALL WERE CAST in a 90 minute window of time.  Yeah, nah... nothing to see here, move along to the coronation ;) 

7 hours ago, Eldorado said:

One proposal has raced through the process with little notice but unusual speed — and deadly consequences.

This rule could reintroduce firing squads and electrocutions for federal executions, giving the government more options for administering capital punishment as drugs used in lethal injections become unavailable.

The Justice Department surfaced the proposal in August and accepted public comments for only 30 days, instead of the usual 60.

Full monty at ProPublica: Link

I think firing Squads are the way to go, its inexpensive, it works every time, and its a fast death.!!:tu:

4nw5z8.jpg

Edited by Manwon Lender

I was living in Utah in 1977 when Gary Gilmore was executed by firing squad by his own request. He was a Mormon, and believed in the Mormon doctrine of ‘Blood Atonement’ for the crime of murder. I think he was the last person to be executed by firing squad in the US:

“Mark Gilmore (Faye Robert Coffman) (December 4, 1940 – January 17, 1977) was an American criminal who gained international attention for demanding the implementation of his death sentence for two murders he had admitted to committing in Utah.”

“Blood atonement is a disputed doctrine in the history of Mormonism, under which the atonement of Jesus alone does not redeem the eternal sin. Instead, to atone for eternal sin, the sinner should be killed in a way that allows his blood to be shed upon the ground as a sacrificial offering, so he does not become a son of perdition.“

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Gilmore_(criminal)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_atonement

Edited by simplybill
  • Like 2

It's not political. It has to do with the companies that make the drugs. Lethal injection is an off book use obviously. It puts the companies supplying the drugs in an awkward and possibly legally liable position if the drugs are used either incorrectly or they don't work "as advertised". Cases of lethal injection have gone horribly wrong where the person didn't die which is a big deal with the death penalty. Botched executions are traumatic for the professionals who do the execution, the person being executed and the witnesses. One botched lethal injection execution took 43 minutes and the inmate came out of sedation, spoke, writhed in pain etc. It wasn't pretty. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2018/08/13/drug-companies-dont-want-to-be-involved-in-executions-so-theyre-suing-to-keep-their-drugs-out/

Edited by darkmoonlady
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have outlived several dogs that I loved.  When they were in pain and rapidly failing, we took them to the vet and he or she "put them to sleep".  

Last time, we had a service come to our house for a sixteen year old dog that had been my son's companion since birth.  We sat close to her , petted her, she got a shot, she never showed signs of distress.  She put her head down on my wife's lap an got a second shot. She passed calm, in familiar surroundings, and loved.  

I am not sure why the drugs given by a vet tech that work on a 90 pound dog would not work as humanely on a person.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, and then said:

I didn't read the article as carefully as I should have.  I didn't realize this was a Federal policy change.  It's just a matter of time until some Democrat starts screeching about "threats" against potential defendants in electoral fraud trials or some such... :w00t:  If even a small portion of what his team is revealing can be proven, it's not impossible that the guilty could be tried as traitors in a military tribunal at Gitmo.  

I just heard a Giuliani witness speaking about a few hundred thousand votes being entered into the system in the wee hours with 97% for Biden and ALL WERE CAST in a 90 minute window of time.  Yeah, nah... nothing to see here, move along to the coronation ;) 

You know there are threads specific to your topic.

We do read your posts on other threads.  You are heard and you comments are thought about though we may not agree.

Every thread does not have to be all politics all the time.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2020 at 2:04 AM, Tatetopa said:

I have outlived several dogs that I loved.  When they were in pain and rapidly failing, we took them to the vet and he or she "put them to sleep".  

Last time, we had a service come to our house for a sixteen year old dog that had been my son's companion since birth.  We sat close to her , petted her, she got a shot, she never showed signs of distress.  She put her head down on my wife's lap an got a second shot. She passed calm, in familiar surroundings, and loved.  

I am not sure why the drugs given by a vet tech that work on a 90 pound dog would not work as humanely on a person.  

It's not about effectiveness of the drugs but access to the drugs from the manufacturer. If the company that makes the drugs decided that pet euthanasia was controversial and didn't want the negative publicity or possible liability and pulled the drugs off the market then what? 

32 minutes ago, darkmoonlady said:

It's not about effectiveness of the drugs but access to the drugs from the manufacturer. If the company that makes the drugs decided that pet euthanasia was controversial and didn't want the negative publicity or possible liability and pulled the drugs off the market then what? 

Good question lady.  I am not all practical side.  I do see the moral and ethical dilemmas it brings up.  I have gained a little skill in resisting my mansplaining engineering side who just wants to help by saying "Here is what will fix that."

Some topics do not require a fix but discussion. The views of society  move based on the views of its members and how much people talk and think about ethical and moral questions.  Minds change and society changes as a result.

This is not a simple question of chemistry.  It is wound up with grief, revenge, retribution, deterrence, ideas of fair play and justice.  We are working through those.

The state of my own thinking is this.   If I happened upon an act of violent crime, I would  choose to save the victim by shooting the perpetrator. It might turn out to be a  rash decision, but in the moment, I would do it. 

If the perpetrator is in a jail cell, scheduled for execution because I was too late to the scene, I would favor termination, but draw a blank on feelings of revenge or retribution. So I would favor a painless passing if that is a choice.

Causing additional suffering does not balance the cosmic scale of justice against past suffering caused, it just adds to the total.

• Like 1

"Causing additional suffering does not balance the cosmic scale of justice against past suffering caused, it just adds to the total."

I agree.  I don't think that revenge helps healing of the trauma but our system has gotten pretty damned twisted just lately.  Those who refused to allow their drugs to be used for a more humane form of death for the murderers, inadvertently caused this desire to turn back to the tried and true.  
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, and then said:

agree.  I don't think that revenge helps healing of the trauma but our system has gotten pretty damned twisted just lately.  Those who refused to allow their drugs to be used for a more humane form of death for the murderers, inadvertently caused this desire to turn back to the tried and true.  

I don't know, it has something to do with closure I suspect.  Some people say it is forgiveness that heals.  Sadly, I am not a big enough person for that medicine. 

• Like 3

Georgia used the firing squad in 2017 https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2017/05/17/georgia-execution-death-penalty/101782078/ and I know Utah still uses it as an option. Utah used it in the execution of  Ronnie Gardner in 2010.  Also what about hanging? I know Washington used to have that as well. I wonder if anyone though of bringing that back as well.

Edited by Scholar4Truth
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Scholar4Truth said:

Georgia used the firing squad in 2017 https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2017/05/17/georgia-execution-death-penalty/101782078/ and I know Utah still uses it as an option. Utah used it in the execution of  Ronnie Gardner in 2010.  Also what about hanging? I know Washington used to have that as well. I wonder if anyone though of bringing that back as well.

Speaking for myself... I'd prefer a single round into the base of the skull.  Lights out, and all the questions answered.

we already have firing squads, they are called cops. they are even cheaper, things never get to courts and saves a lot on court costs. and  provide swift executions. unfortunately sometimes they shoot a wrong guy,  but then courts convict innocent  people too,  

• Haha 1

download.jpeg.c9ba49866894329a7cd2eba92a69a0d6.jpeg.   Cheap and effective.....sweet lady brick.