Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Technological mystery: Sponsored page on FB

TrumanB

Today I walked on the street with a friend and we talked about immigrant visa for Canada. Got back home, started browsing fb on my cell phone and recommended page "Move to Canada in 2021" popped out. Before this event I am sure that I never googled this topic nor searched for it on fb.

How to explain this mystery?

• Like 1

Most likely: A random coincidence.

Less likely, but technologically possible: An app on your phone is using the phones microphone to spy on you. (I am very skeptical, but it can't be ruled out.)

1 hour ago, TrumanB said:

Today I walked on the street with a friend and we talked about immigrant visa for Canada. Got back home, started browsing fb on my cell phone and recommended page "Move to Canada in 2021" popped out. Before this event I am sure that I never googled this topic nor searched for it on fb.

Alarm! Check yr FB app (via settings on yr phone) if this app is allowed to use the microphone and if yes, switch it off. You should check all apps on yr phone because apps have a lot, and ways too much, access rights by default and there is no need, for example, that a weather app has access to your contacts and images. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, toast said:

Alarm! Check yr FB app (via settings on yr phone) if this app is allowed to use the microphone and if yes, switch it off. You should check all apps on yr phone because apps have a lot, and ways too much, access rights by default and there is no need, for example, that a weather app has access to your contacts and images. 

I use FB lite and and turned mice to off. thanks.

Edited by TrumanB

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2020 at 4:45 PM, TrumanB said:

Yes to what toast said

If you have any apps that you would suspect as a fb affiliate (pinterest, twitter, wish, snapchat...) if u have any permission set to open for these apps, they sell that data to fb and fb can still receive your mic data.

Helped me to check the app info from store when downloading apps. In the Google Play Store you can click "about this app" then "app info" then "app permissions".

Facebook lists that they "read phone status and identity, have full network access, view wifi connections (detect isp), use fingerprint hardware" and a long list of others. They may still have other ways to access camera and other ways to advertise. They also do some data business with google.

Force stopping the app after using so it wouldnt run in the background helped me a bit with boosting ram and how it interacted with other apps. Clearing cache can also prevent local data from being more convienently shared across apps and browser.

• Like 2

Interesting. I know my wife posts pics on FB, and very soon after gets commercials for the cloths, places, or items, seen in pics. FB knows where you like to go and what you like to purchase.

Myself, I won't use FB, or Twitter, or Instagram.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 5