Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

21% of kids don't know where milk comes from

37 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Eldorado

Many school children don't know where milk comes from - as a survey revealed a staggering one-fifth didn't know the white stuff comes from cows.

Research has revealed the bizarre beliefs that primary school kids have about where basic essentials, such as bread and milk, and treats like chocolate originate from.

Of the 1,000 children quizzed, one-fifth (21%) didn't know milk comes from cows while a tenth (11%) believe milk comes from supermarkets.

A fifth of carb-loving kids believe bread is made on a farm (18%) while one-in-ten (11%) believe chocolate is made there too.

Full monty at Wales Online: Link

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
South Alabam

From the milk truck. Just how dumb are these kids?

Edited by South Alabam
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2
8 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

From the milk truck. Just how dumb are these kids?

Sir, you are incorrect. Milk actually comes from the grocery store. The milk truck just gets it from the grocery store. Duh :geek:.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2

On a more serious note, it's pretty sad how bad inner-city schools are.

I've been looking for a house to buy recently and I was keeping school district in mind for in case of future little one. It quickly became sad and apparent how horrendous public schools are the second you leave the suburbs. So many **** schools that such a large amount of kids have to grow up in. 

What is even more crazy is when looking at school districts how some of them are shaped in odd ways to obvious exclude poorer areas from their school.

It's rough.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
South Alabam
4 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

On a more serious note, it's pretty sad how bad inner-city schools are.

I've been looking for a house to buy recently and I was keeping school district in mind for in case of future little one. It quickly became sad and apparent how horrendous public schools are the second you leave the suburbs. So many **** schools that such a large amount of kids have to grow up in. 

What is even more crazy is when looking at school districts how some of them are shaped in odd ways to obvious exclude poorer areas from their school.

It's rough.

I hear that. Poor people get the shaft all the time and it is wrong. Like freeways built through poor neighborhoods. Something that I doubt exist in rich areas.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
odas
2 hours ago, South Alabam said:

From the milk truck. Just how dumb are these kids?

????? What are talking about? My milk grows infront of my House Door. I pluck it and the next morning it grows back in a bottle.

Hmmmm, maybe they are many ways our milk comes from? Makes my think. Maybe someone should do a research on that?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Old Guy

Where does chocolate milk come from?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HandsomeGorilla
3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Where does chocolate milk come from?

Alright, you got me on that one. We're probably better off not knowing, brother. Some things are just best left alone. 

Edited by HandsomeGorilla
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
President Wearer of Hats
7 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Where does chocolate milk come from?

Brown cows?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevewinn

lack of parenting. its as simple as that.

It reminds me of a govt report earlier this month- which found due to covid and the closing of schools. many kids now have trouble using a knife and fork and some have even regressed back to using nappies. clearly this is the states fault. it now seems not only educating but parenting of children itself as been outsourced to the state (schools.) 

The report blamed everything under the sun except for parenting.

image.png.ed4f7f02009bb562d3b55e14bd193a66.png

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eldorado
12 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

On a more serious note, it's pretty sad how bad inner-city schools are.

It's also poor parenting.  Kids should know things like where milk comes from, for example, before they've even started school.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
godnodog
14 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

On a more serious note, it's pretty sad how bad inner-city schools are.

I've been looking for a house to buy recently and I was keeping school district in mind for in case of future little one. It quickly became sad and apparent how horrendous public schools are the second you leave the suburbs. So many **** schools that such a large amount of kids have to grow up in. 

What is even more crazy is when looking at school districts how some of them are shaped in odd ways to obvious exclude poorer areas from their school.

It's rough.

that´s what you get when any policy done for the general good of the population is labelled communist etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2
17 minutes ago, godnodog said:

that´s what you get when any policy done for the general good of the population is labelled communist etc.

I don't think it's really that simple. Inner-city schools being bad is a struggle even in some of the most liberal states/cities. 

It's a complicated problem.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Buzz_Light_Year

Should of also asked the teachers and parents as to where milk comes from. The answers may have been shocking.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eldorado
21 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I don't think it's really that simple. Inner-city schools being bad is a struggle even in some of the most liberal states/cities. 

It's a complicated problem.

Education and Attainment of White Working-Class Boys

UK Parliament

Poor white British boys still failing at school.  There was a thread on here about it but I can't find it.  (It's a taboo subject)

There needs to be someone to take all the crappy low-paid jobs and all the jobs that leave you crippled.

Edited by Eldorado

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
godnodog
1 hour ago, spartan max2 said:

I don't think it's really that simple. Inner-city schools being bad is a struggle even in some of the most liberal states/cities. 

It's a complicated problem.

when it comes to school it's that simple, when you have enough money to buy tanks warplanes and ships,, bailouts for banks etc and yet there is not enough budget for school maintenance or improvements etc.

Education is the basic construction block of any economy, cheap blocks cheap construction crappy buildings that can fall apart early.

Stupid or ignorant citizens gets you crappy economy. uneducated workforce lands you poorly paid jobs, poorly paid jobs gets you low to little income, low income and you don't get tax money, and a vicious cycle begins.

Edited by godnodog
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2
11 minutes ago, godnodog said:

when it comes to school it's that simple, when you have enough money to buy tanks warplanes and ships,, bailouts for banks etc and yet there is not enough budget for school maintenance or improvements etc.

Education is the basic construction block of any economy, cheap blocks cheap construction crappy buildings that can fall apart early.

Stupid or ignorant citizens gets you crappy economy.

Giving a school more money is not going to cause a school to magically improve. Money helps, no debate. But it won't drastically fix everything.

I've worked with at-risk youth. I'm a licensed social worker. These problems run deep. 

A school getting more funding does not make the children's home life any more stable or any less broken, or their parents any better.  It does not change the culture. Make their neighborhood safer. 

We had additional after school programs to try and fill in the gap left by crazy home lives and add some stability and value to education. But it only does so much. When your home is crazy you do not focus on education. If you're parents either don't value education or are too busy with multiple jobs to be around, than the kid will struggle. 

Hard schools create staffing problems also. In Columbus, we pay teachers more to work in inner-city schools because of how hard it is. My mom , who is a teacher, says teachers jokingly call it "combat pay." 

I agree with you in the idea that increased funding helps. But I don't believe it's accurate to say that funding would simply fix everything.

Liberal places give tons of funding to inner-city schools but the problem still persist. Looking at LA, Baltimore, Chicago. 

 

 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rashore
18 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Many school children don't know where milk comes from - as a survey revealed a staggering one-fifth didn't know the white stuff comes from cows.

Research has revealed the bizarre beliefs that primary school kids have about where basic essentials, such as bread and milk, and treats like chocolate originate from.

Of the 1,000 children quizzed, one-fifth (21%) didn't know milk comes from cows while a tenth (11%) believe milk comes from supermarkets.

A fifth of carb-loving kids believe bread is made on a farm (18%) while one-in-ten (11%) believe chocolate is made there too.

Full monty at Wales Online: Link

Well then.. I had no idea kids drank squash by the glassful in Wales. I wonder if they drink summer and winter squash, or specific kinds of squashes?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kismit
5 minutes ago, rashore said:

Well then.. I had no idea kids drank squash by the glassful in Wales. I wonder if they drink summer and winter squash, or specific kinds of squashes?

Squash is a type of lemonade. But maybe a pumpkin spiced fizzy drink could be made.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rashore
2 minutes ago, Kismit said:

Squash is a type of lemonade. But maybe a pumpkin spiced fizzy drink could be made.

Hehehe, I really had no idea. I thought the article really meant the nutrition of a glass of squash! Not a lemonade drink called squash :) Learn something new every day :tu:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eldorado
Just now, rashore said:

Hehehe, I really had no idea. I thought the article really meant the nutrition of a glass of squash! Not a lemonade drink called squash :) Learn something new every day :tu:

It's a diluting juice.  Usually orange.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squash_(drink)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wepwawet

When I was at school, Cadbury used to send out educational packs which dealt with the history of chocolate, including a wall chart and a large 2D card model of a cacoa seed which could be unfolded to show the insides. No free samples of chocolate though. My school also had a small farm attached to it, so no issues in knowing where milk or cereals came from. We also learned how to kill rabbits, chickens and frogs and dissect them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2
2 minutes ago, Wepwawet said:

No free samples of chocolate though.

Pshh. Lame <_<

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
godnodog
53 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Giving a school more money is not going to cause a school to magically improve. Money helps, no debate. But it won't drastically fix everything.

I've worked with at-risk youth. I'm a licensed social worker. These problems run deep. 

A school getting more funding does not make the children's home life any more stable or any less broken, or their parents any better.  It does not change the culture. Make their neighborhood safer. 

We had additional after school programs to try and fill in the gap left by crazy home lives and add some stability and value to education. But it only does so much. When your home is crazy you do not focus on education. If you're parents either don't value education or are too busy with multiple jobs to be around, than the kid will struggle. 

Hard schools create staffing problems also. In Columbus, we pay teachers more to work in inner-city schools because of how hard it is. My mom , who is a teacher, says teachers jokingly call it "combat pay." 

I agree with you in the idea that increased funding helps. But I don't believe it's accurate to say that funding would simply fix everything.

Liberal places give tons of funding to inner-city schools but the problem still persist. Looking at LA, Baltimore, Chicago. 

 

 

True, but its a massive step forward.
Funding does not resolve problems, but if schools are properly maintained and teachers motivated, at the very least can help some kids take school as a momentary escape from home problems and minimize a bit of bad influences. 
Sure schools do not resolve problems that are community problems in general, but it does help.
I started my masters in business science not because I actually need it, but because I´m out of a job and have nothing better to do, so it helps me keep my head clean and with a focus on an objective, otherwise I´d be here reading Trumps supporters bs all day lol or playing Star Trek Online. lolololol
 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2
2 minutes ago, godnodog said:

True, but its a massive step forward.
Funding does not resolve problems, but if schools are properly maintained and teachers motivated, at the very least can help some kids take school as a momentary escape from home problems and minimize a bit of bad influences. 
Sure schools do not resolve problems that are community problems in general, but it does help.
I started my masters in business science not because I actually need it, but because I´m out of a job and have nothing better to do, so it helps me keep my head clean and with a focus on an objective, otherwise I´d be here reading Trumps supporters bs all day lol or playing Star Trek Online. lolololol
 

I'm pretty sure we are in agreement for the most part.

I'm also against the people who say we should just not do anything about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.