Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bird flu fears grow in Britain

Eldorado

A spate of baffling swan deaths is strongly suspected to be caused by a virulent new strain of avian flu sweeping across Britain.

Dying swans were found spinning in circles and discharging blood from their nostrils on Ulverston canal, Cumbria. Swan rescuers have taken in more than 25 dying birds in Worcestershire and nine swans were found dead in Stanley Park, Blackpool.

Postmortem examinations have confirmed that six black swans and cygnets that died in Dawlish, Devon, had contracted the latest strain of bird flu, H5N8.

Full story at the Guardian: Link

• Sad 5

its been spreading across europe for months including the UK. it was only a matter of time before the media got a hold of it, with migratory birds bound to happen. I remember back in 2013. our good friends in the EU banned exports/imports of British poultry because a seagull got washed up on a beach tested positive. Yet when six dead swans where found on the French German border. their movement of poultry wasn't banned. funny that isn't it.

cases of Bird flu have been happening since June. keeping poultry myself im on their mailing list.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, seanjo said:

So truth is censored?

"Influenza A/H5N1 was first isolated from a goose in China in 1996. Human infections were first reported in 1997 in Hong Kong.[10] Since 2003, more than 700 human cases of Asian HPAI H5N1 have been reported to the WHO, primarily from 15 countries in Asia, Africa, the Pacific, Europe, and the Middle East, though over 60 countries have been affected."

H5N1 isn't the flu type being found in these birds, so that info tidbit is moot to this. 

It's H5N8 that has been found in the birds. It's been found in Europe, Asia, and North America, not just China. 

• Like 3

December will be the Bird Flu intermingling with COVID-19.

Brave ourselves.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

i keep all my little bantams shut away when i let them out they are in an old canary aviary made out of 1/2" mesh with a covered roof,as for finchs and canarys there all in a bird room with indoor flight and a covered outdoor flight 

• Like 5

All hens and other farm birds to be kept inside in GB avian flu crackdown

Eggs can continue to be labelled ‘free-range’ for 16 weeks and poultry meat for 12 weeks, says Defra

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/04/all-hens-and-other-farm-birds-to-be-kept-inside-in-gb-avian-flu-crackdown

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

It's been confirmed outside the UK too... South Korea, Poland, Belgum, Norway, Iran, Germany, Sweden, Slovenia, Croatia, Denmark, France, Ireland, Sweden.... all reporting in H5N8. Poor birds :(

• Sad 3

Also in China:

"Pinglu County in north China's Shanxi Province sits along the Yellow River Wetland. It’s one of China's three major habitats for wild swans in winter. Over 4,000 wild swans call the area home for the season.

"On November 18, a wetland watchman found two dead swans and immediately sealed off the habitat. The National Avian Influenza Reference Laboratory later confirmed the two dead birds were infected with H5N8, a highly pathogenic strain of bird flu."

60secs video report at CGTN (China): Link

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Got an e mail have to keep my birds in from the 14th December.

and keep up to date biosecurity measures, I've been doing it for years spray clean everything with Virkon S, should be enough, but in this damp weather some might like to use a powder which dries the floor or deep litter. i use harkers (pet life) loft disinfectant powder. or stalosan F.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Thanks 1

Turkeys are to be slaughtered after a bird flu outbreak at a second Norfolk farm, within 24 hours of a first case.

Birds at a farm near King's Lynn were found to have the H5N8 strain of avian flu, the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) said.

A temporary 3km (1.9 mile) exclusion zone has been set up around the farm, which is about 40 miles away from an outbreak found near Attleborough.

The risk to human health is very low, according to Public Health England.

Full report at the BBC: Link

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

A flock of birds on a farm in Scotland have been culled after avian influenza H5N8 was detected.

A 10km temporary control zone has been set up around the farm on the Island of Sanday, in Orkney, to limit the risk of the disease spreading.

Full report at Farmers Weekly UK: Link

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/27/2020 at 9:40 AM, Eldorado said:

A spate of baffling swan deaths is strongly suspected to be caused by a virulent new strain of avian flu sweeping across Britain.

Dying swans were found spinning in circles and discharging blood from their nostrils on Ulverston canal, Cumbria. Swan rescuers have taken in more than 25 dying birds in Worcestershire and nine swans were found dead in Stanley Park, Blackpool.

Postmortem examinations have confirmed that six black swans and cygnets that died in Dawlish, Devon, had contracted the latest strain of bird flu, H5N8.

Full story at the Guardian: Link

That's bad news.   I think back in 1918 when the Spanish Flu got started they link it's origins to birds.

• 1 month later...

Bird flu has been confirmed in pheasants at a premises in north Wales, the Welsh Government has said.

The Chief Veterinary Officer for Wales confirmed the presence of the H5N8 strain at a premises in Penysarn near Amlwch on Anglesey.

The Welsh Government said a temporary control zone had been immediately imposed around the site.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55838006

• Sad 1