Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

China puts 212% tax on Australian wine

Eldorado

China has slapped taxes of up to 212% on Australian wine amid continued wrangling with the Canberra government, including its backing for an inquiry into the source of the coronavirus pandemic.

Beijing argued the punitive anti-dumping duties were being levied in response to complaints that domestic wine producers were being damaged by low-priced Australian imports.

Full story at Sky news: Link

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Eldorado said:

China has slapped taxes of up to 212% on Australian wine amid continued wrangling with the Canberra government, including its backing for an inquiry into the source of the coronavirus pandemic.

Beijing argued the punitive anti-dumping duties were being levied in response to complaints that domestic wine producers were being damaged by low-priced Australian imports.

Full story at Sky news: Link

Yep, it's all about money, you want something from me, I will charge you for it.   That's politics.

18 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Yep, it's all about money, you want something from me, I will charge you for it.   That's politics.

It's protectionism.

Austrailia wine is cheaper in China then Chinese win. 

So they are taxing it to decrease competition for it's domestic companies 

Sort of like tariffs. 

But it's not all about money. China has been hitting Australia with tariffs ever since Australia agreed to participate in an international investigation into the original of Covid. China has made now secret about punishing Australia.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

It's protectionism.

Sort of like tariffs. 

But it's not all about money. China has been hitting Australia with tariffs ever since Australia agreed to participate in an international investigation into the original of Covid. China has made now secret about punishing Australia.

Well, like I said, money talks and they are expressing their displeasure by trying to diminish your wine sales in their country.  If your wine is cheaper in China that the wine made in China something is definitely wrong (upside down) and maybe they are just trying to rectify it.  How can it be cheaper, do you all sell it really cheap?  Raise the rates.  As long as we are divided into countries prone to war on this planet, I don't think importing and exporting things like wine is a good idea.  Anything anyone needs, like medical supplies, and anything anyone wants for diversion or what ever reason people drink wine, should be made in country, not imported.  In the U.S. we got a good wake up call because most of our medical supplies were imported from China.  

Edited by Desertrat56

13 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Well, like I said, money talks and they are expressing their displeasure by trying to diminish your wine sales in their country.  If your wine is cheaper in China that the wine made in China something is definitely wrong (upside down) and maybe they are just trying to rectify it.  How can it be cheaper, do you all sell it really cheap?  Raise the rates.  As long as we are divided into countries prone to war on this planet, I don't think importing and exporting things like wine is a good idea.  Anything anyone needs, like medical supplies, and anything anyone wants for diversion or what ever reason people drink wine, should be made in country, not imported.  In the U.S. we got a good wake up call because most of our medical supplies were imported from China.  

I don't know. Not really my area of knowledge a whole lot. Haha.

I do know it's typically an aspect of globalism and international trade. That buying products from other nations are typically cheaper.

For example, the whole thing with Trump doing tariffs to try and help domestic manufacturing. Since it's more expensive to manufacture domestically they go out of business.

With the wine specifically China is accusing the Aussie government of subsidizing wine companies so they can sell it cheaper. Austrailia says that isn't true. 

I think it's really just relatiation to Australia for not kowtowing to China's demands with the Covid investigation though.

Edited by spartan max2

11 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I don't know. Not really my area of knowledge a whole lot. Haha.

I do know it's typically an aspect of globalism and international trade. That buying products from other nations are typically cheaper.

For example, the whole thing with Trump doing tariffs to try and help domestic manufacturing. Since it's more expensive to manufacture domestically they go out of business.

With the wine specifically China is accusing the Aussie government of subsidizing wine companies so they can sell it cheaper. Austrailia says that isn't true. 

I think it's really just relatiation to Australia for not kowtowing to China's demands with the Covid investigation though.

The problem with Trump's tariffs was that it caused problems for domestic manufacturing because they had to pay more for the materials brought in from other countries.  Tariffs aren't paid  by the country exporting, they are paid by the companies who import.  And of course the extra cost is passed on to the customer so many customers decide not to buy the products.

So you are right when you say it is not your area of expertise.  HaHa.  But you have an opinion anyway.  I only have a small grasp of how it works and I have an opinion too.

Based on the wine from Australia that I have seen here it makes no sense why it costs less here than the cheap wine made in the U.S.  The same taxes apply in the sale, but there must be something going on with that.  Maybe China is right.  But I agree, there is retaliation going on.  The issues are so complex and convoluted there is no simple explanation for any of it, not what Trump did, not what Australia did, not what China did.  You would have to jump in to the swamp to see all the details of what is really going on.  I am not that brave and I suspect you aren't either.

Edited by Desertrat56

6 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

It's protectionism.

Sort of like tariffs. 

It’s not about money at all. It’s all about China telling Australia who the boss is. It’s this p***ing contest between China and America and we’re the topic du jour. we side with America on freedom of navigation in the South China Sea... we cop a tariff on wheat. We side with the Hong Kongess protestors, we cop one on coal. So on and so forth. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Dumping duties are imposed when the goods are sold for cheaper than what they made.  Counterveiling is similiar, but is where the manufacture of goods is subsidised.

In the context of Australian wine industry dumping and countervailing is ridiculous.

But, to answer the question of impory Australian wine? Well, Australian Shiraz is the best in the World.

Edited by Golden Duck

28 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

It’s not about money at all. It’s all about China telling Australia who the boss is. It’s this p***ing contest between China and America and we’re the topic du jour. we side with America on freedom of navigation in the South China Sea... we cop a tariff on wheat. We side with the Hong Kongess protestors, we cop one on coal. So on and so forth. 

I feel like a decent amount of those things you would do without U.S influence though.

Like side with the Hong Kongers and agree to the international Covid origins investigation.

23 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I feel like a decent amount of those things you would do without U.S influence though.

Like side with the Hong Kongers and agree to the international Covid origins investigation.

The exporters are questioning why we're drawing so much attention to ourselves.

1 hour ago, spartan max2 said:

Nah, we’d be keeping very quiet on the “poking the bear” front without a bigger bear as a friend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Nah, we’d be keeping very quiet on the “poking the bear” front without a bigger bear as a friend.

But can you trust either bear?

7 hours ago, RAyMO said:

But can you trust either bear?

Jesus no. The trick is remaining useful to both bears.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

China’s bold new fishing plan on Australia’s doorstep increases tensions

It’s one of the closest towns to Australia and China’s taking a keen interest in fishing there.

But there’s no fish to catch. So what’s the real agenda?

News dot com Australia article

• Like 1