Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tesla Model X can be stolen in 90 secs

Eldorado

Lennert Wouters, a security researcher at Belgian university KU Leuven, today revealed a collection of security vulnerabilities he found in both Tesla Model X cars and their keyless entry fobs.

He discovered that those combined vulnerabilities could be exploited by any car thief who manages to read a car's vehicle identification number – usually visible on a car's dashboard through the windshield—and also come within roughly 15 feet of the victim's key fob.

The hardware kit necessary to pull off the heist cost Wouters around $300, fits inside a backpack, and is controlled from the thief's phone.

In just 90 seconds, the hardware can extract a radio code that unlocks the owner's Model X.

Full monty at Wired (tech magazine): Link

(Tesla is introducing a patch for the vulnerabilities)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

$300 for the hardware kit. That's great news. I've been after a Tesla for a while now and it looks like my aim is within my budget now. Thanks Eldo, I'll be looking into this. :)

• Haha 5

Its not only Tesla but nearly all cars with keyless-go function. This November, the German car club ADAC tested 398 vehicles (cars&motorbikes) for their vulnerability to get hacked with a selfmade device for just 100€. Only 7 out of 398 vehicles were unassailable, for example some Land Rovers, Jags and the VW Golf 8 because these cars use the so called Ultra Wide Band (UWB) technology.

• Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, toast said:

Its not only Tesla but nearly all cars with keyless-go function. This November, the German car club ADAC tested 398 vehicles (cars&motorbikes) for their vulnerability to get hacked with a selfmade device for just 100€. Only 7 out of 398 vehicles were unassailable, for example some Land Rovers, Jags and the VW Golf 8 because these cars use the so called Ultra Wide Band (UWB) technology.

Yep. We keep the keys for our Evoque in a metal tin to try and curtail this technology. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Retinal Scans can be hacked, because people's eyes can be easily removed and transported.

The only secure vehicle entry system would be a Urine Reagent Test to isolate ketones and count the hybridised carbon-oxygen double-bonded carbonyls.

:yes:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• The title was changed to Tesla Model X can be stolen in 90 secs

(Did anyone fall for that ^ BTW?

I thought it sounded very convincing)

Edited by acute
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, acute said:

(Did anyone fall for that ^ BTW?