Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Erlendur Haraldsson (1931-2020)

rashore

Carlos S. Alvarado, PhD, Research Fellow, Parapsychology Foundation

I recently received the sad news that my friend, and well-known parapsychologist Erlendur Haraldsson, passed away. Here is a short biography of his background:

“Erlendur Haraldsson was born in Iceland in 1931. He studied philosophy at the University of Edinburgh (1955-1956) and the University of Freiburg (1956-1958), later studying psychology at Freiburg (1963-1966) and the University of Munich (1966-1969). In 1969-1970 he spent a year with Dr. J. B. Rhine at his Institute of Parapsychology in Durham, North Carolina, and in 1970-1971, he did an internship in clinical psychology at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville where he met Dr. Ian Stevenson, leading to a life-long association and the publication of joint papers. From 1971-1973 he worked with Dr. Karlis Osis at the American Society for Psychical Research in New York. He received a doctorate in psychology from the University of Freiburg in 1972, and became a lecturer and assistant professor at the University of Iceland in psychology in 1973; in 1989 he became a full professor, and in 1999, an emeritus professor. His research and publications have covered a wide range of religious and psychological topics, including mediums, reincarnation, and deathbed phenomena” (online here). More details about his life appear in an autobiography published in Icelandic. The parapsychological content of this book will be published in English around March by White Crow Books....

https://carlossalvarado.wordpress.com/2020/11/24/erlendur-haraldsson-1931-2020/

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Abramelin

• papageorge1

• rashore

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh, sorry to see he died but I would be happy to make it to 89 years old. I am looking at an Erlendur Haraldsson book on the lamp stand next to my computer right now. It's called Modern Miracles Sathya Sai Baba

This was an objective western scientist's examination into the paranormal claims surrounding a very popular Indian guru/swami/avatar commonly known as Satya Sai Baba. As with all such spiritual figures the faithful will swarm and tell their miraculous stories and  the haters will do their thing too. So what is a reasonable person to believe? This book helped convince me by its objectiveness that genuine paranormal phenomena does occur well beyond reasonable doubt in association with this spiritual figure.

Jai Sai Ram

• 1 month later...
On 11/30/2020 at 11:45 PM, papageorge1 said:

Huh, sorry to see he died but I would be happy to make it to 89 years old. I am looking at an Erlendur Haraldsson book on the lamp stand next to my computer right now. It's called Modern Miracles Sathya Sai Baba

This was an objective western scientist's examination into the paranormal claims surrounding a very popular Indian guru/swami/avatar commonly known as Satya Sai Baba. As with all such spiritual figures the faithful will swarm and tell their miraculous stories and  the haters will do their thing too. So what is a reasonable person to believe? This book helped convince me by its objectiveness that genuine paranormal phenomena does occur well beyond reasonable doubt in association with this spiritual figure.

Jai Sai Ram

Maybe you should read the next link:

LINK

And what I found interesting, is that in that article a Piet Vroon.is mentioned. But this Dutch guy wasn't just an author, but also a psychologist. A nice coincidence: below my posts (the signature?) is a quote by this Piet Vroon, for a week or so.

3 hours ago, Abramelin said:

Maybe you should read the next link:

LINK

And what I found interesting, is that in that article a Piet Vroon.is mentioned. But this Dutch guy wasn't just an author, but also a psychologist. A nice coincidence: below my posts (the signature?) is a quote by this Piet Vroon, for a week or so.

Old news to me. Robert Priddy is a known hater and antagonist of Sai Baba. Haroldsson is a fair shooter that listened to everything including the critics he could find. I have listened to the appraisals of many, many involved people over the decades.

Who is Robert Priddy?

Piet Vroon, the Dutch psychologist reported what he saw. There is even an online video showing Saibaba's tricks.

And Vroon's conclusion was: Saibaba is a fraud, but... he did help people.

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

Old news to me. Robert Priddy is a known hater and antagonist of Sai Baba. Haroldsson is a fair shooter that listened to everything including the critics he could find. I have listened to the appraisals of many, many involved people over the decades.

You just heard what you wanted to hear.

You are blind and deaf to other accounts. Accounts of those who visited Saibaba without stars in their eyes.

32 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

You just heard what you wanted to hear.

You are blind and deaf to other accounts. Accounts of those who visited Saibaba without stars in their eyes.

So I consider that you are jumping on a minority account because that is what you want to hear. I’ve been on this subject for 25 years. 

If that is what you want to hear then that’s that for you. Haroldsson by all accounts has no agenda and is a highly resected investigator.