Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Jodie.Lynne

Beliefs... everyone has them

271 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

psyche101
13 minutes ago, Will Do said:

Yeah but you can't make steel without getting it real hot and hammering the hell out of it lol.

That's how you make something out of steel.

To make steel you add carbon to iron. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
12 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Ah but you do experience cognitive dissonance, and you ignore it, deny it etc.  Based on the amount of words you use and how often you try to justify and argue with people you do experience cognitive dissonance.  Your wife found her comfortable mental spot, but I don't think you have.  If you go too far into any polarized view no matter which end of the spectrum there will be cognitive dissonance. There are people who can reconcile some religious doctrine to the way the world around them is and it is usually by choosing love and acceptance rather than fear.  Church has more to offer than religion.  But that last sentence belies your whole explanation of how your wife does not experience cognitive dissonance.  If she feels sorry for people who have been misled she is in judgement, not acceptance and judgement is a form of fear.

lol Why should i experience any cognitive dissonance  My wife might if her beliefs were not so strong but she doesn't.

I sorted out my own mind/cognitive processing/self awareness  over half a century ago.

  My life is totally integrated and cohesive, and has been for all of my adult years.

  for example i look a t probable outcomes of my thoughts and actions and pick the ones which will produce the most constructive results  

No she is compassionate.ie  she feels sorry for people who don't believe and thus in her mind may not go to heaven or enjoy the power her faith brings to her.

  It is a bit like being sorry for a blind person Thats not judgemental in a negative way.

It is recognising the disability of the other person and all the beauty the y are missing out on    :)  

 There is no fear involved and no negative judgement.

I think those constructs are common to some however  and you  might be letting your own views shape how you  feel she or i perceives the world. 

ps where on earth did you get the idea that judgement comes from  fear?:

Judgement is a values- based  opinion, where you compare your values and behaviours to those of others (or to community laws and norms)  There is no fear involved,  simply a criteria based  assessment of better outcomes for some attitudes and behaviours than for others  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
21 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Why don't you get over yourself? If you have dictionaries, you obviously don't use them. 

Your dishonest. That's all I need to know about you. Go tell someone else how awesome you think you are. 

giphy.gif

you are  in denial

I dont think i had added the quotes to my last post.

Go back and read them.

Ponds CAN be dry.  

Ps  what purpose are the "scribbly figures"  meant to serve ? 

 

https://www.lawinsider.com/dictionary/storm-pond-dry

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/example/english/retention-pond

Vernal ponds are ponds which dry up for part of the year. They are so called because they are typically at their peak depth in the spring (the meaning of "vernal" comes form the Latin word for spring). 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pond

 

There are also various permanent and semi permanent ponds distributed throughout the park, most of which dry out during the dry season.

https://glosbe.com/en/en/permanent pond

 

You really should have learned by now

"Never go in against a Sicilian"  :) 

Edited by Mr Walker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Will Do
25 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

To make steel you add carbon to iron. 

 

Gotta get carbon somewhere.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DebDandelion
5 hours ago, Will Do said:

 

Here's perhaps the most valid path to truth.

When you're not paying attention, it's when you bump your head running into it.

 

 

So it sort of slaps you in the face kinda thing? 

Interesting thought actually 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DebDandelion
2 hours ago, Sakari said:

As said. I used to say that. Everyone I have talked to in my melanoma support groups say the same thing. People talk a lot of brave talk, until the reality of death is put on them. An expiration date lets say.
Not sure if I am reading your last sentence correct.
People that truly have a belief do not get this reaction, because they are not afraid to die. They "know" they have somewhere to go.

 

A) sorry to hear about your troubles with your health. 

B) not all that belief actually. Mom was a woman that made a difference on so many levels in life, she was an avid prayer warrior, she lived her faith and believed like I can only hope To. But when it came to the mortality of her body due to cancer she couldn't help but fear. 

Dad always scratched his head when it came to that, because she was a very faithful person. When questioned about why she feared death if she knew she was going to heaven the answer became as simple as 'the moment I close my eyes and exhale my last breath, what will it look like, what will it feel like and who will be there? She knew she will go to heaven, but the fear of the unknown was getting to her. 

And then the uncertainty of how she will die, will it hurt more than it was hurting etc. 

So, you can have all the faith in the world, but the unknown holds a certain degree of fear for some. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psyche101
17 minutes ago, DebDandelion said:

So it sort of slaps you in the face kinda thing? 

Interesting thought actually 

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psyche101
56 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

you are  in denial

I dont think i had added the quotes to my last post.

Go back and read them.

Ponds CAN be dry.  

Ps  what purpose are the "scribbly figures"  meant to serve ? 

 

https://www.lawinsider.com/dictionary/storm-pond-dry

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/example/english/retention-pond

Vernal ponds are ponds which dry up for part of the year. They are so called because they are typically at their peak depth in the spring (the meaning of "vernal" comes form the Latin word for spring). 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pond

 

There are also various permanent and semi permanent ponds distributed throughout the park, most of which dry out during the dry season.

https://glosbe.com/en/en/permanent pond

 

You really should have learned by now

"Never go in against a Sicilian"  :) 

You go back and read it.

You're a nutcase who can't admit being wrong. No time for loonies. Go eat a dictionary dishonest poster. Or are you too busy on eBay?

d923418d1fd5a4ca07d42cb381835aa8.gif

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nuclear Wessel
4 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

Ponds CAN be dry.  

Quote

 

A pond is an area filled with water, either natural or artificial, that is smaller than a lake.[

 Limnologists and freshwater biologists have proposed formal definitions for pond, in part to include 'bodies of water where light penetrates to the bottom of the waterbody,' 'bodies of water shallow enough for rooted water plants to grow throughout,' and 'bodies of water which lack wave action on the shoreline.'

WTF are you smoking dude?

EDIT: Obligatory gif.

troll trolling GIF

Edited by Nuclear Wessel
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eight bits

Meanwhile, back in the English language, dry pond is an oxymoron - the component words contradict each other, and so the phrase has no inherent meaning.

Like any other noun phrase, an oxymoron as a whole noun phrase can be given a definition.

Thus a dry pond can be either wet or dry. It is only "a kind of pond" when it is wet, otherwise, it is a kind of hole in the ground, not a kind of pond. The properties of the noun phrase as a whole are not applicable to the components: a wet dry pond is a dry pond despite being wet, a dry dry pond is a dry pond despite not being a pond.

Vernal pond is a cousin of oxymoron - rather than a contradicting each other, the component parts appear to be mismatched (Chomsky had a fondness for noun phrases like this, and it's kind of fun: imagine what an intrepid cucumber might be). But like oxymorons, the mismatching noun phrase as a whole can be given a definition.

Sure enough, the properties of the noun phrase as a whole are not applicable to the components: it's easy enough to have a dry vernal pond, even in the spring. Note that dry vernal pond is not an oxymoron, since vernal pond is an indivisible unit of meaning, and as such carries no commitment to wetness.

6 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

You really should have learned by now

"Never go in against a Sicilian"  :) 

Run along, grasshopper.

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sakari
7 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Yes, it sort of does.
Thanks for that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sakari
7 hours ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

No thanks. I feel like that would be a massive waste of time. I don't really care about your personal transformation. 

I don't really care what you used to do. I'm not you and you don't know me.

So what? Billions of people live and die with or without a terminal disease. If you are alive, you're going to die. It's a pretty simple concept.

Some people don't need the hope or belief in an afterlife to function.

You have no idea what I've experienced in my life to make that assumption.

I believe I quoted which parts of your post I found laughable. I stand by my reaction. 

Good for you. I reacted the way I felt after reading your post. Sorry if you take offense to my feelings. 

I've been doing that for twenty years...

You might not say that if you knew what I dream about.

If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

This quote came because of people just like you.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish

So if a person believes there is an afterlife. This idea comforts them, maybe gives their life a meaning and purpose, it is just plain wrong for them to have it? To have some form of personal hope. Even if what they belief don't affect you in any capacity it is a bad thing? 

Here I was thinking that we gave our lives meaning. I must be wrong. I guess the only meaning that matters is the scientifically approved one.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
onlookerofmayhem
57 minutes ago, Sakari said:

This quote came because of people just like you.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

Well, that was the fastest four years of my life.

So you don't want to discuss anything?

You asked me why I laughed at your post and I answered you. You in turn made baseless assumptions about my character and motivations.

So now I'm an idiot?

I'll see your inane quote and raise you this one :

 

"I'd prefer a battle of wits, but you appear unarmed."

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
onlookerofmayhem
21 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

So if a person believes there is an afterlife. This idea comforts them, maybe gives their life a meaning and purpose, it is just plain wrong for them to have it?

Not at all. They have every right to believe that.

The line stops when they voluntarily choose to discuss that belief with others who may or may not agree with them.

23 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Here I was thinking that we gave our lives meaning. I must be wrong.

No, you're completely right.

23 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I guess the only meaning that matters is the scientifically approved one.

There is no such thing.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
44 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

Not at all. They have every right to believe that.

The line stops when they voluntarily choose to discuss that belief with others who may or may not agree with them.

Discussing a belief is fine, however the approach to such discussion is not often elegant. 

No, you're completely right.

So why do relatively harmless beliefs matter so much to those who don't share them?

There is no such thing.

Then why is it presented so often that only scientific facts matter, especially in regards to something subjective?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Liquid Gardens
1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

Discussing a belief is fine, however the approach to such discussion is not often elegant. 

Sigh.  Please list the subjects that require 'elegance' when discussing.  Is this a requirement you hold yourself to?  Ah no, definitely not on things you disagree with.  You'll forgive if I don't exactly trust your idea of etiquette, there are very good reasons why neither you nor I should be moderators here.

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

So why do relatively harmless beliefs matter so much to those who don't share them?

Who said they 'matter so much'?  You're reading a lot into the mere fact that people have discussions.  In this particular case I thought it clear that the issue being countered is not the harmless beliefs, it's the projecting of their experience onto other people ("idiot" I think was the term, speaking of 'elegance').  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
4 hours ago, eight bits said:

Meanwhile, back in the English language, dry pond is an oxymoron - the component words contradict each other, and so the phrase has no inherent meaning.

What is the english word for a dry spot that used to be a pond or a river that no longer has water in it.  Spanish has words for those but I have never heard an english word for either of those.  (and I know it is off topic, but maybe not if there are no english words for those things, then you have a belief about those words that may be others don't share)

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmccr8

Mindfulness is one aspect of a trinity as there is also mindlessness and I don't mindness.:whistle:

jmccr8

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmccr8
1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

What is the english word for a dry spot that used to be a pond or a river that no longer has water in it.  Spanish has words for those but I have never heard an english word for either of those.  (and I know it is off topic, but maybe not if there are no english words for those things, then you have a belief about those words that may be others don't share)

Hi Desertrat

I looked yesterday and you are right and basically it is only a pond when it has water in it and is smaller than a lake.

jmccr8

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
10 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Desertrat

I looked yesterday and you are right and basically it is only a pond when it has water in it and is smaller than a lake.

jmccr8

But you have to be able to signify that it used to be a pond.  You don't call it a dry depression where water used to be,  Maybe in german they have a word that is that phrase, but english doesn't work that way, so dry pond means the same as "a dry depression where water used to be".  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmccr8
1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

But you have to be able to signify that it used to be a pond.  You don't call it a dry depression where water used to be,  Maybe in german they have a word that is that phrase, but english doesn't work that way, so dry pond means the same as "a dry depression where water used to be".  

Hi Desertrat

For me it really doesn't matter it's like a puddle what do you call it when it's not there, dirt?:D

jmccr8

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
1 minute ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Desertrat

For me it really doesn't matter it's like a puddle what do you call it when it's not there, dirt?:D

jmccr8

Yes, dirt, a puddle is transient, a pond is more long lasting, in some places seeming eternal.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rashore

Basin and bed are the words you are looking for. For example, a dry pond is a dry basin. Sometimes called stormwater basin or extended detention basin. A basin can hold water or be empty and dry. Bed is the same thing for flowing water like rivers and creeks- they are dry beds because there is no water in them. 

I believe that explains the off topic query, lol. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmccr8
10 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Yes, dirt, a puddle is transient, a pond is more long lasting, in some places seeming eternal.

Hi Desertrat

I see Rashore has given a good response but will add that where I grew up smaller ponds would appear and disappear depending on conditions usually because the were not very deep and would evaporate during dry times when there was no water nobody really seemed to care when there was water it was a pond and when there wasn't water there was no point in making note of it.

jmccr8

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.