Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mysterious monolith found in Romania

Eldorado

A mysterious monolith has reportedly appeared in Romania - after a similar structure disappeared from a desert in Utah.

The 4m (13ft) monolith has been spotted on Batca Doamnei Hill in the city of Piatra Neamt, according to reports from local media.

The appearance of the hollow structure, which has a triangular shape and is covered in a looping scrawl, has sparked speculation about its origin.

Full story at Sky news: Link

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Maybe it’s meant to be some sort of viral promotion for an upcoming movie or video game.

Although I don’t know what kind of trouble someone would get in for doing this without permission. The Utah one certainly seems to have not been been placed with permission.

• Like 2

Any other day I would be 'aliens'. Yet, it is 2020. So... Going with... Okay. Cool

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

Now just set cameras every inch around this one. So that when it "mysteriously disappears" we'll all know who did it.  :whistle:

Just saying... 2020 has a few surprises left... (I am JOKING) 

• Like 2

How do we know it was regular people that did this move from Utah to Romania? Could it teleport for example? Aliens desensitizing us to their presence?

Hard time getting that on a plane. Airport security somewhere would have to know about it you'd think.

Surprised it wasn't put on some kind of at least cheap trail cam or security camera. Or was it and the information is squashed.

Papameter's feeling something. Maybe 20% paranormal chance at this point.

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

There seems to be a monolith fever in the world.

I just found one in my freezer!!

wait its a spoon in the icecream bucket

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Hard time getting that on a plane. Airport security somewhere would have to know about it you'd think.

No, its not a problem and its the daily business of airlines to move stuff around the world. And, airport security does not record "monolith made out of metal yadayada". The content of an airfreight shipment is mentioned on the airwaybill and in the airline`s database and the airport security`s job is to declare the freight as "secured" or "unsecured" after security inspection.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toast said:

No, its not a problem and its the daily business of airlines to move stuff around the world. And, airport security does not record "monolith made out of metal yadayada". The content of an airfreight shipment is mentioned on the airwaybill and in the airline`s database and the airport security`s job is to declare the freight as "secured" or "unsecured" after security inspection.

I’m aware of all that but I just meant some airport security person could come forward with a story to tell. It had to be inspected and would stand out as unusual. Some documentation exists too.

Edited by papageorge1

20 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I’m aware of all that but I just meant some airport security person could come forward with a story to tell. It had to be inspected and would stand out as unusual. Some documentation exists too.

Probably not unusual. Something that size and weight would be boxed up and shipped cargo- probably labeled as art or the like. No real need for inspection, and even if it was it probably wouldn't raise an eyebrow. 

But logistics aside, there's a bigger problem with the notion.... the Utah monolith and the Romania monolith are clearly two different objects when you compare images of them. 

Edit to add.. logistics again- that thing might be too heavy to fly out, so it would then be on the slow boat. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rashore said:

No real need for inspection, and even if it was it probably wouldn't raise an eyebrow.

Every freight item that goes on a commercial aircraft have to undergo security inspection without exception.

Edit to add.. logistics again- that thing might be too heavy to fly out, so it would then be on the slow boat. 

It would fit in any widebody aircraft, even passenger aircrafts. And, a Boeing 777 (for example) cargo plane can carry >100 tons.

Edited by toast
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, rashore said:

Probably not unusual. Something that size and weight would be boxed up and shipped cargo- probably labeled as art or the like. No real need for inspection, and even if it was it probably wouldn't raise an eyebrow. 

But logistics aside, there's a bigger problem with the notion.... the Utah monolith and the Romania monolith are clearly two different objects when you compare images of them. 

If they are indeed confirmed different that would end the plane theory. Alien involvement is still out there. Signs to decode in the differences. 

I know it's a nitpick, but these monoliths do not resemble the one in 2001. Aside from being taller than they are wide or deep, and having vertical rectangular faces.
The 2001 monolith was black, of an indeterminant material, and not triangular on the top and bottom. The proportions and number (3 identical vs 4 where only 2 and 2 are identical) of the rectangular faces is totally different too.
The Romania one is also assembled differently than the Utah one(and with less skill, IMO). Welded (badly) instead of riveted or screwed, and the finish is completely different.
This is looking like a crop circle-like effort by artists in at least two countries messing around. I'd expect a few more to pop up.

Edited by Seti42
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

If they are indeed confirmed different that would end the plane theory. Alien involvement is still out there. Signs to decode in the differences. 

They are different. Utah has a thinner and higher quality stainless steel type that was precision cut (quite possibly CNC machined), is riveted together and buffed to a high polish. Romania is of a thicker, heaver grade steel that was weld cut and spot welded, and rough ground to bring on the decorate scrolling. 

Also, so recent news on Utah further puts it out of possibility of it going to Romania- it was taken down by some folks that believe in the "leave no trace behind" theory. So extra unlikely they would go halfway around the world to dump it somewhere else. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/01/arts/design/utah-monolith-removed-instagram.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/news/2020/12/01/utah-monolith-disappearance-photographer-captures-removal/6474630002/

https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-news/mystery-of-utahs-disappearing-monolith-explained

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, rashore said:

They are different. Utah has a thinner and higher quality stainless steel type that was precision cut (quite possibly CNC machined), is riveted together and buffed to a high polish. Romania is of a thicker, heaver grade steel that was weld cut and spot welded, and rough ground to bring on the decorate scrolling. 

Also, so recent news on Utah further puts it out of possibility of it going to Romania- it was taken down by some folks that believe in the "leave no trace behind" theory. So extra unlikely they would go halfway around the world to dump it somewhere else. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/01/arts/design/utah-monolith-removed-instagram.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/news/2020/12/01/utah-monolith-disappearance-photographer-captures-removal/6474630002/

https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-news/mystery-of-utahs-disappearing-monolith-explained

Well the alien theory is not looking good either (shucks).

• Like 1

It's probably make of regular steel, burned out on a cnc plasma or hand cut with a torch. Welding terribly and ground kind of shoddy. Here are some close up picks of it.

Link 1

Link 2

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Well the alien theory is not looking good either (shucks).

Yeah, kind of puts the meter at a zero this time.

2 minutes ago, rashore said:

Yeah, kind of puts the meter at a zero this time.

Only at 00.5%. I could still hold out the teeniest chance that the information we are being fed is a smokescreen. Like Roswell? But remember I said 'teeniest' at this point.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, jeem said:

Thank you for this. It's better posted as a new thread. I've started a new one off: