Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jordan Peterson's new book prompts tears

OverSword

Personally I would tell any who want to are free to leave and find another job.

Employees at Penguin Random House Canada reportedly cried over the publisher's decision to publish Jordan Peterson's new book during a town hall meeting.

Peterson, a Canadian clinical psychologist self-styled as the "professor against political correctness," announced his new book Beyond Order: 12 More Rules for Life will be released in March 2021 in a YouTube video on Monday.

Vice reported that the news sparked an outcry at Canada's biggest book publisher, with some staffers confronting management in a bid to cancel the book's release. Dozens more filed anonymous complaints about the book, the report said.

Four Penguin Random House Canada employees told Vice that the company was secretive about Peterson's book and it didn't appear in an internal database that usually includes all upcoming releases.

They said that at the internal town hall on Monday, publishing executives defended the decision to publish Peterson, while employees aired their grievances.

"He is an icon of hate speech and transphobia and the fact that he's an icon of white supremacy, regardless of the content of his book, I'm not proud to work for a company that publishes him," one employee, who is a member of the LGBTQ community, told Vice.

The member of the LGBTQ community who is not proud to work there should quit.  Put they're money where they're mouth is so to speak

link

It's obvious that these people who think he's a right wing fascist or transphobic have only heard propagandistic lies and never read a word he's written or heard him speak. 

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, OverSword said:

The member of the LGBTQ community who is not proud to work there should quit.  Put they're money where they're mouth is so to speak

link

It's obvious that these people who think he's a right wing fascist or transphobic have only heard propagandistic lies and never read a word he's written or head him speak. 

Yes, thats correct if a publisher wants to publish ( alleged )  propaganda hate whatever and the workers dont like it they should quit, others who support those ideals will fill their jobs and hate sells and 2020 is a hard year.

Likely to be a best seller.

6 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Yes, thats correct if a publisher wants to publish ( alleged )  propaganda hate whatever and the workers dont like it they should quit, others who support those ideals will fill their jobs and hate sells and 2020 is a hard year.

Likely to be a best seller.

Hate?  Prove it.  He doesn't promote or condone hate or discrimination.  He's been demonized for being against a piece of  Canadian legislation that requires the use of certain language or you could possibly be jailed. 

Do you believe the government should require by law that you refer to a person by their preferred pronoun or be in violation of the law and possibly pay fines or be jailed? It's a courteous thing to do and I personally do it but you shouldn't be jailed for not doing it.  Any bad thing you've heard about him stems from that belief.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

I've only listened to select Youtube clips of him, but he seems reasonable.

I have a friend who read one of his books. Called rules for life or something. 

The SJW crowd can be cancerous.

I've listened to a ton of interviews with him, he's not hateful or necessarily right wing just not tolerant of the cancel culture PC left lunatics.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Hate?  Prove it.  He doesn't promote or condone hate or discrimination.  He's been demonized for being against a piece of  Canadian legislation that requires the use of certain language or you could possibly be jailed. 

Do you believe the government should require by law that you refer to a person by their preferred pronoun or be in violation of the law and possibly pay fines or be jailed? It's a courteous thing to do and I personally do it but you shouldn't be jailed for not doing it.  Any bad thing you've heard about him stems from that belief.

You do a fine job proving your hate.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, the13bats said:

You do a fine job proving your hate.

How?  What's hateful in the quote you posted?  

• Like 3

The publishers have a right to decide what they publish. They should listen to their employees too but hold the final decision. Employees can quit if they feel the company is unethical. 

if they decline other companies would be happy to take the book so it’s not much of a free speech issue. That’s the good thing about our free society! In a closed society the government controls what ideology can be published.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, OverSword said:

He doesnt do hate speech but he threatens the phoney narratives of some groups so they label him an extremist and want him silenced. To the point they will even turn up to his lectures and try to shut them down.

• Like 5

It’s easy to hurt the feelings of the transsexual community.

I don’t usually tell personal stories here, but I accidentally hurt the feelings of someone who was transsexual one time, and I really had to think about it.

Suffice to say, I made it up to this person, and I always felt good about that. They are truly beautiful people, and it’s important to recognize their sensitivity. Many are also, very brave.

I don’t know him personally, but Jordan Peterson seems like the kind of person, who will make it up to the transsexual community.

When it comes to white supremacists, he sometimes makes excuses for our humanity, in ways that some people don’t understand, but he’s an intellectual, so we should expect that from him.

Some of his arguments, raise questions that we should be asking ourselves, and I think that’s his point. 

Peterson’s a good guy in my book.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Raptor Witness said:

When it comes to white supremacists, he sometimes makes excuses for our humanity, in ways that some people don’t understand,

Do you mean by pointing out to his students things such as that if they had lived in 1930's Germany many of them would likely have been nazis?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Do you mean by pointing out to his students things such as that if they had lived in 1930's Germany many of them would likely have been nazis?

I’m not exactly sure what his internal arguments are, but he’s a teacher, and because he is, I cut him a lot of slack.

The fact that he’s also become a celebrity, is sort of accidental, it seems, and has cost him dearly.

How do you rehabilitate an intellectual? Do we want to, really?

• Like 1

Jordan Petterson has my deep respect.

These workers should quit. WTF protest? Is this their business? Is the publication of this book unethical? Is the book content unethical? Have they read the book or have they read SJW crap? WTF! 

Edited by godnodog
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, godnodog said:

Jordan Petterson has my deep respect.

These workers should quit. WTF protest? Is this their business? Is the publication of this book unethical? Is the book content unethical? Have they read the book or have they read SJW crap? WTF! 

That's the thing for me. If the workers were citing some specific messed up comments in the book then I would take them seriously.

But I guarantee they just saw the man's name and freaked out.

• Like 4

Here is a list of the 12 rules for living from his first book

• "Stand up straight with your shoulders back"
  • "Treat yourself like you are someone you are responsible for helping"
  • "Make friends with people who want the best for you"
  • "Compare yourself with who you were yesterday, not with who someone else is today"
  • "Do not let your children do anything that makes you dislike them"
  • "Set your house in perfect order before you criticize the world"
  • "Pursue what is meaningful (not what is expedient)"
  • "Tell the truth — or, at least, don’t lie"
  • "Assume that the person you are listening to might know something you don’t"
  • "Be precise in your speech"
  • "Do not bother children when they are skate-boarding"
  • "Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street"

Pretty offensive stuff eh?  Just imagine what monstrous ideas may be in the second book :wacko:

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Here is a list of the 12 rules for living from his first book

• "Stand up straight with your shoulders back"
  • "Treat yourself like you are someone you are responsible for helping"
  • "Make friends with people who want the best for you"
  • "Compare yourself with who you were yesterday, not with who someone else is today"
  • "Do not let your children do anything that makes you dislike them"
  • "Set your house in perfect order before you criticize the world"
  • "Pursue what is meaningful (not what is expedient)"
  • "Tell the truth — or, at least, don’t lie"
  • "Assume that the person you are listening to might know something you don’t"
  • "Be precise in your speech"
  • "Do not bother children when they are skate-boarding"
  • "Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street"

Pretty offensive stuff eh?  

Oh, apprently OP is the book my friend read lol.  His church group had a book club thing with it.

Edited by spartan max2

1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

Oh, apprently OP is the book my friend read lol.  His church group had a book club thing with it.

That book isn't out until March 2021.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

That book isn't out until March 2021.

Yeah I got confused. You quoted the rules from the first book, which is what was read. 

I guess OP is the second book. Like a sequel.

• Like 2

I agree with other's sentiment that the employees who are upset can leave and get another job.  The publisher is in business to make money first, that is the reality of it.  I like the list @OverSword posted.  All good things to think about every day.  I also do not agree that laws should be made to punish people for things they say, but it is Canada, not the U.S.  Political correctness has become so idiotic and useless, I would rather hear someone be honest than have to keep quiet or change the words they use.  Anyone who is offended in the moment can chastise them or discuss how that word might be considered offensive, grown ups do that.  Immature people want laws to protect them from what they fear.  

I have never heard of this person but I am going to look him up and see who he is and what he really is saying.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I agree with other's sentiment that the employees who are upset can leave and get another job.  The publisher is in business to make money first, that is the reality of it.  I like the list @OverSword posted.  All good things to think about every day.  I also do not agree that laws should be made to punish people for things they say, but it is Canada, not the U.S.  Political correctness has become so idiotic and useless, I would rather hear someone be honest than have to keep quiet or change the words they use.  Anyone who is offended in the moment can chastise them or discuss how that word might be considered offensive, grown ups do that.  Immature people want laws to protect them from what they fear.  

I have never heard of this person but I am going to look him up and see who he is and what he really is saying.

Here is an interesting interview with Jordan to get you started

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iudkPi4_sY

And here is a very contentious interview that I particularly enjoyed watching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMcjxSThD54

Edited by OverSword
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, OverSword said:

link

It's obvious that these people who think he's a right wing fascist or transphobic have only heard propagandistic lies and never read a word he's written or heard him speak. 

Yes, once they’ve heard him they’d know he’s a knob.

2 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Yes, once they’ve heard him they’d know he’s a knob.

Can you elaborate?  Which of his opinions makes him a knob?  

5 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Can you elaborate?  Which of his opinions makes him a knob?  

He’s the “treat women like objects, they love that” waste of oxygen isn’t he? 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

He’s the “treat women like objects, they love that” waste of oxygen isn’t he? 

WTH are your talking about?  He's a clinical psychologist and a Professor at the University of Toronto who wrote a self help book.  He is hated by trans activists for standing up to the Canadian Government for writing laws that make it illegal and a jailable offense not to call people by their preferred pronoun.  Not because he hates trans but because he doesn't believe they should pass laws dictating speech like that.   Now he is despised by the left because the rest of the left told them he's a transphobe and also because they are not really very bright.

• Like 5