Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lab-grown 'chicken' meat approved

Eldorado

Singapore has given regulatory approval for the world’s first “clean meat” that does not come from slaughtered animals.

The decision paves the way for San Francisco-based startup Eat Just to sell lab-grown chicken meat.

The meat will initially be used in nuggets, but the company hasn’t said when they will become available.

Demand for alternatives to regular meat has surged due to consumer concerns about health, animal welfare and the environment.

Full report at the BBC: Link

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I never knew what part of the chicken was the nugget anyway,

but wth is this stuff, lab grown animal "meat" cells? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, the13bats said:

I never knew what part of the chicken was the nugget anyway,

but wth is this stuff, lab grown animal "meat" cells? 

"Cultured meat" is meat produced by in vitro cell culture of animal cells, instead of from slaughtered animals. It is a form of cellular agriculture.

Wikipedia

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I'm in if they come out with a free range version, where the cells have felt the sunshine on their back and grazed on open fields.

• Haha 9

• 2 years later...

More reasons to avoid eating lab "meat":

https://thenationalpulse.com/2023/05/16/revealed-the-curious-connection-between-lab-grown-meat-animal-cruelty-and-chinas-biowarfare-program/

"Cultured chicken”, also known as “lab-grown meat”, is being tested and approved by JOINN Biologics, a Chinese firm with links to China’s biowarfare program."

Edited by Amita
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Hawken said:

Soylent.jpg

When will we get cultured human meat cells?  I wanna start a South Seas Cannibal restaurant chain called So Long Pig.

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

When will we get cultured human meat cells?  I wanna start a South Seas Cannibal restaurant chain called So Long Pig.

We can absolutely create lab grown human meat. It bull**** like "ethics" that keeps us from doing it and using it as a food source. 

It will help provide food for third world countries, and help the world hunger problem.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Scholar4Truth said:

It will help provide food for third world countries, and help the world hunger problem.

Only if costs can be kept to a minimum.  Hopefully, it will help with the problem.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2023 at 3:30 PM, Occupational Hubris said:

We can absolutely create lab grown human meat. It bull**** like "ethics" that keeps us from doing it and using it as a food source. 

Ethics?  People chew their fingernails and even their cuticles.  Is that cannibalism?  Most people have nipped a piece of loose skin from an injury with their teeth and swallowed it.  Every day we inhale dust particles with our mouths, and that dust includes particles of human skin from our loved ones.  Nobody is murdered in the production of artificial human meat, in fact we can even volunteer our own cells potentially.  I think it is more the reflexive "ick" factor than any real ethics.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, and-then said:

Only if costs can be kept to a minimum.  Hopefully, it will help with the problem.

Costly in several ways. Food "science" is driven like so much of technocracy by fame & fortune.

https://thenationalpulse.com/2023/05/17/lab-grown-meat-produces-up-to-25-times-more-co2-study-reveals/

Edited by Amita
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, razman said:

Anyone feel comfortable eating lab grown meat from China?

I don't feel comfortable buying anything from China. Especially reading about the drywall made there.

Chinese drywall - Wikipedia

Edited by Hawken
  • Like 3

On 5/19/2023 at 7:52 AM, Alchopwn said:

Ethics?  People chew their fingernails and even their cuticles.  Is that cannibalism?  Most people have nipped a piece of loose skin from an injury with their teeth and swallowed it.  Every day we inhale dust particles with our mouths, and that dust includes particles of human skin from our loved ones.  Nobody is murdered in the production of artificial human meat, in fact we can even volunteer our own cells potentially.  I think it is more the reflexive "ick" factor than any real ethics.

I was making a cannibalism joke. I would 100% eat lab grown people meat, though. 

• Like 2

On 5/19/2023 at 11:11 AM, Scholar4Truth said:

No, it won't.  Think about the energy involved in culturing these cells in lab conditions, then think about how cheap it is to put seeds in the earth by comparison.  It is far more likely that this technology will be used in medical applications to regrow skin for burn victims, or to replace diseased organs.  Any food application will be a pure luxury for a very long time.

• Like 2

On 5/17/2023 at 1:05 AM, Alchopwn said:

Put in a Mohawk room with the stews in Iroquois head pots. 

6 minutes ago, Piney said:

Put in a Mohawk room with the stews in Iroquois head pots. 

I am obsolete enough to have thought the Karankarawas from around Galveston TX were the only North American cannibals.  The more you know... (cue music).

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

I am obsolete enough to have thought the Karankarawas from around Galveston TX were the only North American cannibals.  The more you know... (cue music).

That was the biggest Algonquian pet peeve with them. Those Iroquois human effigy pots had one purpose.

The Cahokia refugees who might of been Caddo or Siouians also practiced it, which is why we wiped them out when they migrated North.

• Thanks 1

Well, it can't be as bad as the textured vegetable protein burgers they fed us in high school. :wacko:

It's a band aid solution instead of addressing overpopulation.

On 5/19/2023 at 4:14 AM, razman said:

Anyone feel comfortable eating lab grown meat from China?

On 5/19/2023 at 8:06 AM, Hawken said:

I don't feel comfortable buying anything from China. Especially reading about the drywall made there.

Chinese drywall - Wikipedia

It's from San Francisco