Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Spectacular eight-mile frieze of Ice Age

lilthor

edit:  posted in another forum...apologies

Spectacular eight-mile frieze of Ice Age beasts found in Amazon rainforest

José Iriarte, professor of Archaeology at Exeter, at a wall depicting mastadons in the Amazon rainforest

Thousands of rock art pictures depicting huge Ice Age creatures such as mastodons have been revealed by researchers in the Amazon rainforest.
The paintings were probably made around 11,800 to 12,600 years ago, according to a press release from researchers at Britain's University of Exeter.
The paintings are set over three different rock shelters, with the largest, known as Cerro Azul, home to 12 panels and thousands of individual pictographs.

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/amazon-rainforest-ice-age-paintings-scli-intl/index.html

Edited by lilthor
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just ask the mods to merge them. I've done this too.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

An amazing discovery - thanks!

I'm trying to shed some light on the 'eight-mile' claim.  The repeat-o-web is full of identical references to it - does anyone have an alternative perspective on this?  I cannot imagine an eight-mile rock overhang, never mind the entire thing covered in art.  If it's the case that the art is found on sites eight miles apart - how does that make it eight miles long? 

The article from CNN is disappointing though.  Unless you read to the very last paragraph you could come away believing this is a brand new discovery; however I can find references dating back to 2015 and they were well-known long before then.  And given the opportunity to publicise this 'spectacular frieze' of 'incredible images' they only included three photos, with no relevant annotation.  Once again the cut'n'paste-o-net shares the same few pictures - at least 663 000 sites agree they really are 'spectacular'!

• Like 3

On 12/3/2020 at 9:28 AM, Tom1200 said:

An amazing discovery - thanks!

I'm trying to shed some light on the 'eight-mile' claim.  The repeat-o-web is full of identical references to it - does anyone have an alternative perspective on this?  I cannot imagine an eight-mile rock overhang, never mind the entire thing covered in art.  If it's the case that the art is found on sites eight miles apart - how does that make it eight miles long? 

The article from CNN is disappointing though.  Unless you read to the very last paragraph you could come away believing this is a brand new discovery; however I can find references dating back to 2015 and they were well-known long before then.  And given the opportunity to publicise this 'spectacular frieze' of 'incredible images' they only included three photos, with no relevant annotation.  Once again the cut'n'paste-o-net shares the same few pictures - at least 663 000 sites agree they really are 'spectacular'!

More than 2.5 miles of cliff paintings found hidden in the Amazon rainforest show ancient hunter-gatherers killing Ice Age creatures

The drawings are spread across three rocky shelters in Colombia's Serranía La Lindosa region. They were first painted between 12,600 and 11,800 years ago. The largest shelter alone, Cerro Azul, has drawings covering more than 2.5 miles of its surface.

A little hard to get to 8 miles when the largest of the 3 is only 2.5 miles. You see, CNN is fake news. 

If anyone has institutional access the paper can be read here: Colonisation and early peopling of the Colombian Amazon during the Late Pleistocene and the Early Holocene: New evidence from La Serranía La Lindosa

Edited by Thanos5150
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2