Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Manwon Lender

Effects of Post Election Depression and PTED

Recommended Posts

Manwon Lender

PTED: Post Traumatic Election Disorder and a Trauma-Informed Congregation

The impact of this season of vindictiveness, divisiveness, and cultural fragmentation will be felt by us for weeks, months and even years to come. Add to the political toxicity the ongoing trauma of Covid-19, the economic hardships for so many individuals and families, the implications of our racial crisis, and you have all the ingredients of a traumatic season for the majority of Americans. Those effects will not be limited to the broad culture, but will surely impact regions, states, cities, neighborhoods, clubs, non-profits, families, and are certain to find their way into congregations and parishes. 

Traumatized individuals and groups require special and focused care. Please bear this in mind as you plan your congregational life from November forward. The literature on treatment for PTSD is robust and extremely helpful as we think about PTED and our congregations. Some of the symptoms of PTSD resonate with how our churches are experiencing this season of social trauma: Isolation, withdrawal, disruption in relationships, persistent distrust, preoccupation with perpetrator(s), outbursts of anger, etc.  http://chchurches.org/pted-post-traumatic-election-disorder-and-a-trauma-informed-congregation/

Post Election Stress Disorder growing among Americans: https://fox59.com/news/politics/post-election-stress-disorder-growing-among-americans/ 

7 Ways To Unwind From Post-Election Stress After A Toxic Election Season:  https://www.yourtango.com/experts/maura-matarese/ways-unwind-post-election-stress-syndrome

Election Anxiety and Distress: A New Diagnosis?  :https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/special-matters/202011/election-anxiety-and-distress-new-diagnosis

Understanding Post Trump Stress Disorder. Really:  https://www.bedlamfarm.com/2020/11/11/understanding-post-trump-stress-disorder-really/

2020 Election Insights: A Lot of Gray and Purple:  https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/blog/the-resistance-hypothesis/202011/2020-election-insights-lot-gray-and-purple

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Desertrat56
3 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

PTED: Post Traumatic Election Disorder

:lol: :lol:  I will read it after I stop laughing at this.  Actually, the stress has been relieved for me.  4 years of campaigning is enough to give anyone PTSD no matter who they vote for.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56

I think it should be called Post Traumatic Campaign Disorder.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
10 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

:lol: :lol:  I will read it after I stop laughing at this.  Actually, the stress has been relieved for me.  4 years of campaigning is enough to give anyone PTSD no matter who they vote for.

I know what you mean, it actually seems delusional doesn't it. However, unfortunately it is real and while this forum is only a microcosm of the United States and the Worlds population you can see the effects of it right now. It manifestes in ways that we see but we do not equate to what the actual cause is. A very obvious manifestation of this disorder is not being able to accept the election results. Another obvious manifestation is how people will create Conspiracy Theories to combat the fact that the election is over and that it did not turn out like they wished it would.

Another obvious manifestation is the anger and venom some of us present concerning our views on the political situation, we can all see that while some appear to be coping with this well others have crossed the line between reality and delusions. This disorder started to manifest itself before the election even occurred, it has been the root cause of the toxic environment concerning our political choices, and it grew stronger as the election approached. Since November 3rd and the election results have become obvious the effects of PTED have only multiplied and if you take a moment to think about it, the cause is obvious.

Thanks for comments Sister, and please do read the links and give it some thought, I believe you will understand that this is a real mental health issue that has effected both sides of the political spectrum.:tu:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2

People are babies lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
5 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I think it should be called Post Traumatic Campaign Disorder.  

I did not name this disorder it was named by the mental health community and the term PTED has actually been around for many years, but speaking for myself I had no idea it existed, I just came across it and then did a little research and I was surprised to find out that it wasn't joke and it is actually a clinical diagnosis.

Take Care my Sister

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

People are babies lol

That is true, but mental health issues are not a joke and if you look around this forum you can actually see the manifestation of this problem in people's posts, the only difference is now people comments can be understood better, and they can also be identified as the root cause and its effects.

Take Care.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
4 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I did not name this disorder it was named by the mental health community and the term PTED has actually been around for many years, but speaking for myself I had no idea it existed, I just came across it and then did a little research and I was surprised to find out that it wasn't joke and it is actually a clinical diagnosis.

Take Care my Sister

I understand.  But still, it makes more sense to use the word campaign instead of election because that is where all the stress came from.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
8 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I understand.  But still, it makes more sense to use the word campaign instead of election because that is where all the stress came from.

Yea I do agree with you, but it has greatly intensified since President Trump lost the election.

Take Care  my Sister

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2
11 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

That is true, but mental health issues are not a joke and if you look around this forum you can actually see the manifestation of this problem in people's posts, the only difference is now people comments can be understood better, and they can also be identified as the root cause and its effects.

Take Care.

Mental health issues are not a joke.

But this term is pop psych, media stuff. It's not in the DSM.

People who can't handel elections already have mental health issues before the elections.

It's like people we all know who get way too invested in their football team winning or losing. 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
Just now, spartan max2 said:

Mental health issues are not a joke.

But this term is pop psych, media stuff. It's not in the DSM.

People who can't handel elections already have mental health issues before the elections.

It's like people we all know who get way too invested in their football team winning or losing. 

Are you sure it is not in the DSM? 

Post-Election Stress Disorder: Yes that's a real thing!

https://www.thehealthjournals.com/recovering-pesd/amp/

 

 

 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2
1 minute ago, Manwon Lender said:

Are you sure it is not in the DSM? 

Post-Election Stress Disorder: Yes that's a real thing!

https://www.thehealthjournals.com/recovering-pesd/amp/

 

 

 
 

 

Yep. 100 percent certain.

It's also in one of your links.

Quote

Although the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual, 5th edition has not yet coined a diagnostic category for this type of anxiety, we have all felt anxious and worried about our country and our people as a whole. Perhaps this warrants a new diagnostic category — Election Anxiety & Distress.

It would be sort of redundant because there is already "Adjustment disorder" which sort of serves as a catch all for any big changes. 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Manwon Lender
8 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Yep. 100 percent certain.

It's also in one of your links.

It would be sort of redundant because there is already "Adjustment disorder" which sort of serves as a catch all for any big changes. 

I stand corrected you are certainly right, but it appears to be an issue that many mental health specialists are taking seriously here is another article from the Mental health community taking about.

Presidential Election Anxiety and the Role of Psychiatry  

https://www.psychiatrictimes.com/view/presidential-election-anxiety-role-psychiatry

 

Edited by Manwon Lender

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
6 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I stand corrected you are certainly right, but it appears to be an issue that many mental health specialists are taking seriously here is another article from the Mental health community taking about.

Presidential Election Anxiety and the Role of Psychiatry  

https://www.psychiatrictimes.com/view/presidential-election-anxiety-role-psychiatry

 

Well, I suspect that people who are suffering from this already had anxiety and other issues above normal.  My friend was really crazy when talking about politics but she has suffered from severe anxiety and depression for years before this.  It might be a little off kilter to add a new diagnosis instead of looking for the underlying instability that came before the campaign.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2

Not to argue, just to elaborate on it.

When it comes to making things their own disorder on the DSM it depends on if something can be considered like uniquely its own issue, or is it just a manifestation of another disorder.

With election anxiety it would probably be considered a manifestation of anxiety disorder, adjustment disorder, or probably a few others honestly. 

Like for example we wouldnt make economic anxiety its own disorder, just a manifestation of anxiety.

There are "specifiers" in the DSM for each disorder that can point out different elements of a disorder though.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
6 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Well, I suspect that people who are suffering from this already had anxiety and other issues above normal.  My friend was really crazy when talking about politics but she has suffered from severe anxiety and depression for years before this.  It might be a little off kilter to add a new diagnosis instead of looking for the underlying instability that came before the campaign.

I certainly don't disagree, but it must be taken seriously at the same time. Look at the violent comment some forum members have been and still are making concerning these election results.

Take Care my Sister

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek

lol, nice corner you got here guys,  just like the title  says.  :tsu:

btw, can you sue gvmnt for causing all of it??  you should look into it. :yes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pallidin

Alright, alright, alright... the stress we are experiencing is due to Trump himself continually making weird  comments.

THAT is the absolute truth.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
the13bats
2 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

People who can't handel elections already have mental health issues before the elections.

It's like people we all know who get way too invested in their football team winning or losing

I have mental issues of the nerves, panic, ptsd, drdp, OCD, ADD etc, lol type BS, 2020 has been a p***er, i wasnt too bad end of 2019 my dec club show went well i figured to have both the upstairs brs, kitchen remodel and car project finished way before now most are stagnant.

But most of if that all my hurdles are side effects of my issues compounded by covid and what i considered to be trumps grossly incompatant response to it,  enter....

56 minutes ago, pallidin said:

Alright, alright, alright... the stress we are experiencing is due to Trump himself continually making weird  comments.

THAT is the absolute truth.

No other potus has been the disastrous failure trump has been the fact is he has presented basically zero when it comes to projecting stately respectable professionalism for the office of potus,

And before anyone brays, but bats you admit you are a mental case, one has to accept no other potus has ever grabbed my attention,  and trump grabbed it in a very negative way, even if i remove his life costing epic failure covid response, which btw covid is higher than ever as self centered trump golfs and yells at the sky he was cheated out of votes with no proof of that claim.

So remove covid trump still is a horrible potus his division of the country its people,  black , white, red, blue we are all Americans just because a person doesnt bend a knee to trump doesnt mean they are wrong or bad yet just today on this forum i saw i radically unstable trump worshipper said that "blue" cities should burn to the ground, hopefully authorities keep such people on their radars.

That is just one of countless, a stunning yet tragic example of the insane hate and division trump has caused and promotes and that is enough to get on the nerves of even to most mentally stable persons.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
1 hour ago, the13bats said:

I have mental issues of the nerves, panic, ptsd, drdp, OCD, ADD etc, lol type BS, 2020 has been a p***er, i wasnt too bad end of 2019 my dec club show went well i figured to have both the upstairs brs, kitchen remodel and car project finished way before now most are stagnant.

But most of if that all my hurdles are side effects of my issues compounded by covid and what i considered to be trumps grossly incompatant response to it,  enter....

No other potus has been the disastrous failure trump has been the fact is he has presented basically zero when it comes to projecting stately respectable professionalism for the office of potus,

And before anyone brays, but bats you admit you are a mental case, one has to accept no other potus has ever grabbed my attention,  and trump grabbed it in a very negative way, even if i remove his life costing epic failure covid response, which btw covid is higher than ever as self centered trump golfs and yells at the sky he was cheated out of votes with no proof of that claim.

So remove covid trump still is a horrible potus his division of the country its people,  black , white, red, blue we are all Americans just because a person doesnt bend a knee to trump doesnt mean they are wrong or bad yet just today on this forum i saw i radically unstable trump worshipper said that "blue" cities should burn to the ground, hopefully authorities keep such people on their radars.

That is just one of countless, a stunning yet tragic example of the insane hate and division trump has caused and promotes and that is enough to get on the nerves of even to most mentally stable persons.

 

Thanks for exposing yourself like you did here, and that is something to be proud because everyone has problems, physical or metal health issues. Myself, I received  a traumatic brain injury in the Middle East during my Military Career that has caused some permanent effects. Since the time that incident occurred I lost a percentage hearing and have serve tinnitus in my left ear, about 7 years after that event, I lost the ability to sleep well most nights I get from 3 to 6 hours of sleep with most nights being somewhere in the Middle. Then one night I couldn't sleep at all, I made the mistake of allowing this to continue for 6 days, at which point I could no longer function. I went to the Military Hospital and they diagnosed me with PTSD, that was in 1999, until this very day I have trouble sleeping more than 3 to 6 hours. 

So I suffer from a mental disorder also and I am certain many others here do also and it's nothing to be ashamed of at all. But, having a mental disorder, if you except it and learn/watch for the warning signs you can learn to stop bad episodes from occurring before they become serious. It also gives you a much clearer insight when it comes to those who also have similar problems. This is why I started this thread, I hoped people who are suffering from similar problems may recognize some of the things listed in the links and that are spoken about within themselves and than talk to a doctor so they can start healing.

Great post my friend, and my hat is off to you fir tLking about your own personal issues!

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
10 hours ago, pallidin said:

Alright, alright, alright... the stress we are experiencing is due to Trump himself continually making weird  comments.

THAT is the absolute truth.

Yea Trump is certainly the blame, but he is also the most mentally unstable individual who is actually suffering from Post Traumatic Election Disorder!! However, there are some individuals on this forum who can not control the hate they spew and the threats they make. I hope those individuals see this thread and read the links, this thread was started for them. I was not being sarcastic or demeaning to anyone in anyway, but I would like to see those who need help,  get help and there is no reason to mention names they are very aware of who they are!!!

Thanks for you post my friend

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.