Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Families 'broken' by puberty blockers ruling

Eldorado

Trans children and their families say they have been “broken” following a high court decision to raise the age of consent for young people accessing puberty blockers.

A ruling issued on 1 December has cast doubts on whether those aged 16 and under can offer informed consent to start puberty blocker treatment, which stalls the onset of puberty for younger people questioning their gender.

But some of the affected families described the ruling as “an insult,” with parents telling i they fear their children may take their lives if they are refused the treatment.

Full article at iNews UK: Link

And at MSN: Link

Children under 16 with gender dysphoria are unlikely to be able to give informed consent to undergo treatment with puberty-blocking drugs, three High Court judges have ruled.

BBC report from December 1st: Link

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 3

I agree, let them make the decision when they are mature enough to make a decision that will be with them fir the rest of their lives.   Out of 4 trans I know, only one has gone through the full transition.  It is a huge step that they have to be sure it us what they want.

• Like 2

What do they mean "raise the age of consent" I always took it that it was/is 16. My understanding of it was that those under that age couldn't be in paid employment etc or be a participant in something they didn't wish to be a participant in. But also that those under the age of 16 weren't of an age they could make informed consent.

As it stands this is a major procedure for people who may have all sorts of other issues therefore this is playing safe when there have already been cases of people changing their mind.

What did they used to do in the days before technology got us here? Personally life saving treatment only on the NHS.

I knew a girl who identified as male and went to the doctor with her mother at 14.  The mom said she didn't want her on any hormones or blockers until she was older to ensure she was not just confused.  The doctor went behind the mother's back and prescribed them anyways.   The privacy law states that medically, if the patient does not want their parents to know about what they are prescribed, the doctor cannot inform them. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, glorybebe said:

The mom said she didn't want her on any hormones or blockers until she was older to ensure she was not just confused.  The doctor went behind the mother's back and prescribed them anyways

So wrong for the doctor. When I was younger there were boyish girls and girlish boys, everyone accepted the differences and most seemed happy in their body. I blame social media for this confusion in kids now, the World should be more accepting now you would think.

Edited by openozy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, openozy said:

So wrong for the doctor. When I was younger there were boyish girls and girlish boys, everyone accepted the differences and most seemed happy in their body. I blame social media for this confusion in kids now, the World should be more accepting now you would think.

My daughter and I discussed that.  She was such a tomboy, dressed like a skater dude for the longest time.  She says that was accepted.  If she was a teen now, she wonders would she had been pushed to transition because she was so masculine in her dress?

• Like 3

Related news:

All but one child treated for gender dysphoria with puberty-blocking drugs at a leading NHS clinic also received cross-sex hormones, a study has shown.

BBC report

• 3 months later...

Man attacked on Montreal street for campaigning against giving puberty blockers to children

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

The parents of UK transgender children can consent to their treatment with puberty blockers on their child’s behalf without approval from a court, a judge has ruled.

The decision follows a separate, landmark High Court case which could have blocked the treatment of a 15-year-old who was born a boy but lives as a girl.

The girl, identified as XY, was on puberty blockers and the court was asked to rule that she and her father can consent to her treatment amid "uncertainty on the lawfulness of parental consent".

UK LBC