Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fossil hunter finds new type of 'sea dragon'

Eldorado

The fossil was found near Kimmeridge Bay - part of the Jurassic Coast World Heritage Site - in a limestone known as the white stone band.

When the ichthyosaur died, the seafloor would have been a very soft ooze, allowing the front half of the animal to sink into the mud before scavengers came along and ate the tail end.

As a result of being buried in this way, it was preserved in exceptional conditions and even some of its soft tissues were preserved.

Ms Jacobs said: "Skeletons of Late Jurassic ichthyosaurs in the UK are extremely rare, so, after doing some research, comparing it with those known from other Late Jurassic deposits around the world and not being able to find a match was very exciting

Full report at the UK Independent: Link

• Like 5

Hmm.  Unfortunately, for us marine biology enthusiasts the term "seadragon" is taken.  SA's Leafy Seadragon holds a very special place for me...  It's only about 8-10" long and mesmerisingly beautiful.  I was lucky enough to see one while diving at the jetty at Tumby Bay.

From the Wiki and James Rosindell..

1024px-Leafy_Seadragon_on_Kangaroo_Islan

Sorry for the derail!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Hmm.  Unfortunately, for us marine biology enthusiasts the term "seadragon" is taken.  SA's Leafy Seadragon holds a very special place for me...  It's only about 8-10" long and mesmerisingly beautiful.  I was lucky enough to see one while diving at the jetty at Tumby Bay.

From the Wiki and James Rosindell..

1024px-Leafy_Seadragon_on_Kangaroo_Islan

Sorry for the derail!

Now that is art in motion

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

It's funny how this creature, which looks like an adorable and harmless extra in Finding Nemo, has a badass name like 'Thalassodraco'.