Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Facebook Lawsuit

Scholar4Truth

Looks like Facebook is facing a lawsuit where they might have to sell Instagram and WhatApp due to competition rivals https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tech-antitrust-facebook/facebook-faces-u-s-lawsuits-that-could-force-sale-of-instagram-whatsapp-idUSKBN28J2UL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hmm, I wonder whether this will be yet another thing that goes away on January 20th or soon thereafter.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, eight bits said:

Hmm, I wonder whether this will be yet another thing that goes away on January 20th or soon thereafter.

The lawsuits highlight the growing bipartisan consensus to hold Big Tech accountable for its business practices and mark a rare moment of agreement between the Trump administration and Democrats, some of whom have advocated breaking up both Google and Facebook.

Reuters

44 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

The lawsuits highlight the growing bipartisan consensus to hold Big Tech accountable for its business practices and mark a rare moment of agreement between the Trump administration and Democrats, some of whom have advocated breaking up both Google and Facebook.

Perhaps so. We'll see.

Politics aside, the defense here isn't trivial (regulatory approval and the brands in question no longer correspond with the entities that were acquired). Even an "adverse" ruling would have an unusually wide range of remedies besides break-up compared with more routine antitrust cases. There's also the additional complication that even "indpendent" digital-world entities have considerable interoperability (e.g. when we embed a YouTube video here at UM). Similar issues, in more elementary form, came up late in the last century in the AT&T breakup.

Oddly enough, the "losing" side made out very well in that one. And it all took a good long while, too. Mustn't forget the trial lawyers' needs. Now there's a bunch of loyal Democrats ;)

Regardless, what the Trump administration agrees with becomes largely irrelevant in a few weeks. I don't see what in my short post merited a "confused" reaction, but I'll live with it somehow. It was just my opinion.

Edited by eight bits
  • Thanks 1