Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did Nostradamus get anything right?

Eldorado

The approach to Christmas brings us a very different, lesser-known anniversary: the birthday of Nostradamus, who came into the world on 14 December 1503.

The Frenchman became famous in his own lifetime for publishing a long series of prophecies which continue to mystify, intrigue and (frankly) exasperate us to this day.

The fact that he wrote in enigmatic poems, or quatrains, means that his words can be endlessly reinterpreted to fit historical events.

This makes trying to assess his 'accuracy' a notoriously tricky thing to do. But what if we really squint and give him the benefit of the doubt?

Did Nostradamus get anything right?

Full article at History UK: Link

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The answer to the question is actually very difficult and highly complex.    

It is .....

..... No

• Like 1

Most of it is too vague, but the mention of "Hister" is interesting, and also the '66'.

Edited by acute
  • Like 1

No he didn't. He just wrote so much incoherent nonsense (let alone that he used several languages and no grammar) that it is easy to interpret anything you want into his rubbish.

• Like 3

Depends how far you can twist his writings.

• Like 1

It turns out that each of his prophecies has matched history many times. So where was he correct?

I suggest never. He was only correct in the minds of those willing to see matches where none actually exist.

• Like 3

Nostradamus predicted his own death on the morning of July 1, 1566, when he told Secretary Jean de Chavigny that “this is my last dawn.” The next morning, the Prophet’s body was found lying in an unnatural position between the bed and the cabinet. :whistle:

• 1 month later...
On 12/19/2020 at 12:29 PM, Meridian O said:

Nostradamus predicted his own death on the morning of July 1, 1566, when he told Secretary Jean de Chavigny that “this is my last dawn.” The next morning, the Prophet’s body was found lying in an unnatural position between the bed and the cabinet. :whistle:

People often feel it when their death is approaching. Still doesn't make him a "prophet"

• Haha 1

I remember watching a documentary on Nostradamus predictions in the early 80's. I don't remember the name of the documentary but it was all new to me at the time about this Nostradamus prophet and I clearly remember one of the predictions that I'll never forget.

It was about 3 /4 missiles heading to the New City around the 44 degree North area and 1 or 2 missile(s) was/were to be shot down and the others were to hit the city while the President and his staff were rushed in a bunker waiting for the disaster to happen.

When 9/11 happened, right away I remembered that documentary and I made that connection missiles = planes. 

Prediction? I don't know but it sure was dead on.

Edited by Candor

1 hour ago, Candor said:

Prediction? I don't know but it sure was dead on.

Or it was a complete and total fabricated Nostradamus quatrain.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/nostradamus-911-prediction/

1 hour ago, Candor said:

I remember watching a documentary on Nostradamus predictions in the early 80's.

You are misremembering if you're claiming that prediction was included in the program.

From the link :

"It originated with a Brock University student named Neil Marshall, appearing in his 1997 web-published essay on Nostradamus. That particular quatrain was offered by Marshall as a fabricated example to illustrate how easily an important-sounding prophecy could be crafted through the use of abstract imagery. He pointed out how the terms he used were so deliberately vague they could be interpreted to fit any number of cataclysmic events."

Unless you can find a source to the actual Nostradamus quatrain being referred to, it seems that the whole thing is completely made up.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

You are misremembering if you're claiming that prediction was included in the program.

You are pretty good, telling strangers on the internet what they misremember or remember. :td:

Believe what you want  but I KNOW what I watched in the early 80's.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Candor said:

You are pretty good, telling strangers on the internet what they misremember or remember. :td:

Believe what you want  but I KNOW what I watched in the early 80's.

No you don't. That was almost 40 years ago. It's common for people to say "I know what I saw."  Turns out testing shows that isn't true.

Memory is so malleable that in a recent study people were able to introduce a false memory in which people believed they committed a felony. Below is an example of people that had false memories of committing serious crimes.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/270964372_Constructing_Rich_False_Memories_of_Committing_Crime

Your suggestion is that Nostradamus suggested something like this: "It was about 3 /4 missiles heading to the New City around the 44 degree North area and 1 or 2 missile(s) was/were to be shot down and the others were to hit the city while the President and his staff were rushed in a bunker waiting for the disaster to happen."

First off, missiles came out of WW II. So Nostradamus would not have been familiar with such a device. Second, where does Nostradamus ever use coordinates? Third, the president was not rushed to a bunker, nor was he in the city or even close to the city at the time.

You can show us all wrong by showing us this quatrain.

Edited by stereologist
wording
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Candor said:

Did you even read the snopes article or the quote from it?

It's made up. It's from 1997. It doesn't come close to your "memory" of what was supposedly written by Nostradamus.

Again, all you have to do is give a source of where Nostradamus wrote what you are claiming was attributed to him "in the early 80's" and I will apologize and retract my statement.

Otherwise it's clear you are either mistaken or lying.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...