Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

400 pupils missing after gunmen attack school

Still Waters

Such a sad, sad story. Who knows what these children will endure or what they may be sold into :cry:  I hope many can be rescued and soon.

• Like 6

Those poor parents. I can't even imagine. 

• Like 3

Here's an update:

Government troops have surrounded the area where gunmen are believed to be holding schoolchildren hostage in north-western Nigeria, President Muhammadu Buhari's spokesman has said.

Ten children are reportedly being held captive, Garba Shehu said, far fewer than the number staff reported missing.

About 800 pupils were enrolled at the all-boys school in Katsina state and about half remain unaccounted for.

The attackers are thought to be seeking ransom, Mr Shehu said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-55294529

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I hope they are able to get the 10 children out safely. Where can the rest be? I hope they are located safe and quickly. 

• Like 3

Update:

Nigeria-based Islamist militant group Boko Haram has said it was behind last week's kidnapping of hundreds of schoolboys in the north-western Nigerian state of Katsina.

More than 300 pupils are unaccounted for, but others managed to escape.

The authorities had previously blamed "bandits" for the attack.

BBC report

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Update:

Nigeria-based Islamist militant group Boko Haram has said it was behind last week's kidnapping of hundreds of schoolboys in the north-western Nigerian state of Katsina.

More than 300 pupils are unaccounted for, but others managed to escape.

The authorities had previously blamed "bandits" for the attack.

BBC report

No suprise there. Just can't understand why the Army cannot be used to exterminate Boko Haram? It's not like they are a fraction and fighting for a cause. Just pure criminals. I believe there is more to it than just being a islamist militant group working on their own. The government has it's hand in it too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hundreds of schoolboys kidnapped last week from a boarding school in north-western Nigeria have been released, local authorities have told the BBC.

A spokesman for the governor of Katsina state said 344 had been freed and were all in a good condition.

However, other reports suggest some remain in the hands of their captors.

BBC

• Thanks 2

It's good to hear so many of them were rescued. I hope they can find any more who may still be held.