Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

U.S. Agencies Hacked in Foreign Cyber Attack

Grim Reaper 6

WASHINGTON—Multiple federal government agencies, including the U.S. Treasury and Commerce departments, have had some of their computer systems breached as part of a widespread global cyber espionage campaign believed to be the work of the Russian government, according to officials and people familiar with the matter.

Russia’s foreign-intelligence service is suspected of being behind the hacks of the U.S. government networks—in which some internal communications are believed to have been stolen—and the operation is related to a cyber breach disclosed last week of U.S.-based cybersecurity firm FireEye, one of the people familiar with the matter said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-agencies-hacked-in-foreign-cyber-espionage-campaign/ar-BB1bTH6X?ocid=News

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

As of right know Google and Youtube are down across several countries.

Would be a downright shame if they were hacked. :tsu:

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

".. according to people and officials familiar with the matter.."

Hmmm. 

I would be looking at China, rather than Russia. No doubt the truth will out. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

As of right know Google and Youtube are down across several countries.

Would be a downright shame if they were hacked. :tsu:

Yes I found that out a short while ago about youtube, hell maybe they are going to hack this forum, I mean, maybe they want to steal our PMs!!!:D  This situation with the Government hack is really bad, they got into the Treasury Department and many other areas, this was a major breach of security.  What gets me is they think it was the Russians, and the thing that bothers me about that is that it is very possible Snowdon may have been involved. Now, I admit I am guessing, but when Russia gave him sanctuary, I started thinking how dangerous it could be.

I mean they have kept him all these years, and they dont do anything for free, so he must be doing something for them. Since he is very Tech savvy and he has dealt with and stole many highly classified documents along with the data about what the NSA was doing, there is no telling what he has done. It is possible he has given them a backdoor in our countries classified systems, and even the thought that gives me Goose Bumps.:(

Take care

• Like 1

This could actually be rather widespread. It appears that a network management (remote control) tool called Orion has been compromised, allowing hackers to access the computers of all its customers, including government and military customers. 

"oooops"

I'd still reckon Chinese state involvement, rather than Russian, however. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

".. according to people and officials familiar with the matter.."

Hmmm. 

I would be looking at China, rather than Russia. No doubt the truth will out. 

Yes, the truth will come out, but the real question is how badly was the United States and other Nations compromised by this intrusion / Hacking. Sadly we will never know the true answer to that question.

Take care my Friend:tu:

12 hours ago, razman said:

They should declare this type of thing , an "act of war".

Technically it is an act of War, the problem is proving who was actually responsible. We cant just attack a foreign country because we think they did, we have to absolutely positive!!:yes:

Take care my friend

• Like 1

Breaking News

According to the New York Times, around 18,000 government servers and private users downloaded a software update that allowed hackers to access their information on a compromised network management system called SolarWinds. Because the SolarWinds system provides significant access to the workings of a given network, those who hacked in would have wide access once inside. At the moment, the motive for the attack is not known, though the hackers may have been in federal government systems as early as March. “This is a big deal,” according to cybersecurity expert John-Scott Railton, who spoke with the Washington PostThe

Scope of the Latest Russian Hack on the U.S. Is Growing

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/the-scope-of-the-latest-russian-hack-on-the-us-is-growing/ar-BB1bTUH

Scope of Russian hack becomes clear, multiple US Agencies were Hit, New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/14/us/politics/russia-hack-nsa-homeland-security-pentagon.html?referringSource=articleShare

This report details recent Tactics, Techniques and Procedures (TTPs) of the group commonly known as ‘APT29’, also known as ‘the Dukes’ or ‘Cozy Bear’

https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/news/advisory-apt29-targets-covid-19-vaccine-development

Suspected Russian hackers spied on U.S. Treasury emails - sources

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-cyber-treasury-exclsuive/exclusive-u-s-treasury-breached-by-hackers-backed-by-foreign-government-sources-idUSKBN28N0PG

• Like 1

True! So I am hearing, Biden and Kamala are tied into the deal as well. I dont think its Russia, I think its China. Russia doesn't like China or Soros anymore than we do.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

how the F Google, and YouTube are agencies???  who wrote this crap,   they are private companies. i could not care less if they were hacked, get a better data security team. outsourcing does nor always work, and hiring people based on color and sexual orientation does not work that good either, apparently, as far as getting job done. .

Edited by aztek
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, aztek said:

how the F Google, and YouTube are agencies???  who wrote this crap,   they are private companies. i could not care less if they were hacked, get a better data security team. outsourcing does nor always work, and hiring people based on color and sexual orientation does not work that good either, apparently, as far as getting job done. .

Well seeing how Google employees were at the White House a total of 427 times during Obama's presidency I think that would qualify them to be a government agency. You don't make that many visits to the White House without bending someone's ear or having them bend yours.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3554953/Google-staffers-meetings-White-House-staggering-427-times-course-Obama-presidency-averaging-week.html

• Like 2

On 12/14/2020 at 7:22 AM, RoofGardener said:

This could actually be rather widespread. It appears that a network management (remote control) tool called Orion has been compromised, allowing hackers to access the computers of all its customers, including government and military customers. 

"oooops"

It will serve as a handy reason to invoke the 2018 executive order if they have the courage to do so.  He needs to do so and if the Left begin rioting, he should follow up with imposition of Martial Law in all the states where the rioting is going on.  The evidence should be publicized and the military should oversee a revote in the battleground states.  Short of that, we will remain hopelessly divided and Biden and his VP will be just bad jokes to half the nation.  They will literally have to use physical force to impose their will.  

• Like 2

On 12/15/2020 at 7:40 AM, Jujo-jo said:

True! So I am hearing, hiden and camel are tied into the deal as well. I dont think its Russia, I think its China. Russia doesn't like China or Soros anymore than we do.

I think it's definitely China in partnership with Western Globalists.... and there we see the enemies foreign and domestic that are an active threat to the freedoms (and actual existence) of the West... but we are being assaulted with such a large volume of propaganda through the MSM that they are not being stopped... 

I have heard,,,, from those familiar with the matter :) (on the internet)... that it's all much much worse than we thought and the election steal is just one part of the covert war being waged against America and the West - 

nitty gritty.... China in partnership with Western Globalists are trying to get America and Russia to go to war with each other - then mop up after all the death and destruction.... and a bit further down the line China will have America for agricultural land and living space...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 12/14/2020 at 1:22 PM, RoofGardener said:

"oooops"

and to bolster up the America/Russia war - they will be leaving (false) fingerprints of Russian involvement - from memory -I think it was something called 'Blue Marble' when Wikileaks released stuff about how the CIA could leave false fingerprints on hacks etc to frame who they want to frame....

• Thanks 1

All this great info here the CT section feels very left out and lonely.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, and then said:

It will serve as a handy reason to invoke the 2018 executive order if they have the courage to do so.  He needs to do so and if the Left begin rioting, he should follow up with imposition of Martial Law in all the states where the rioting is going on.  The evidence should be publicized and the military should oversee a revote in the battleground states.  Short of that, we will remain hopelessly divided and Biden and his VP will be just bad jokes to half the nation.  They will literally have to use physical force to impose their will.  

And if trump lost yet again would you then honor that?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, the13bats said:

And if trump lost yet again would you then honor that?

Yes.  But there will be no do-overs because most states with these machines are refusing to allow them to be scrutinized.  That's not the behavior of people with nothing to hide and you KNOW you wouldn't just accept losing under a cloud of suspicion.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, and then said:

Yes.  But there will be no do-overs because most states with these machines are refusing to allow them to be scrutinized.  That's not the behavior of people with nothing to hide and you KNOW you wouldn't just accept losing under a cloud of suspicion.

I could say trump refusing to release his taxes and using lame excuses isnt the behavior of a person with nothing to hide but because you dig trump you would have a bunch of reasons and excuses why thats different and etc.

I really wanted all this to just be done with quickly i really didnt care who won i hoped for a landslide in some direction, that didnt happen and that night it looked good for trump i knew the biden votes would roll in later.

I dont blame trump and his followers that if they honestly believe he was cheated then do everything he can to prove that, no, i dont support abuses of power and you and i will never agree on what that is when it comes to trump.

What i read if a do over happened those evil rigged machines would step aside for old fashioned paper ballots hand counted.

If and thats a categorical "if" it wouldnt drag things out for many months costing tax payers millions i would fully support a revote in swing states except for the firm belief i have that trump will only accept outcomes where he wins,

so while i admire you for saying if trump lost a recount you would accept it i honestly believe if he lost he would come up with some new reason the revote wasnt fair and he got cheated again.

Although i might have had a sliver of hope presented to me in trumps tweet,

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-pushes-back-on-reported-talk-of-martial-law-fake-news/ar-BB1c5iLe?q=17

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 12/14/2020 at 5:20 AM, Manwon Lender said:

WASHINGTON—Multiple federal government agencies, including the U.S. Treasury and Commerce departments, have had some of their computer systems breached as part of a widespread global cyber espionage campaign believed to be the work of the Russian government, according to officials and people familiar with the matter.

Russia’s foreign-intelligence service is suspected of being behind the hacks of the U.S. government networks—in which some internal communications are believed to have been stolen—and the operation is related to a cyber breach disclosed last week of U.S.-based cybersecurity firm FireEye, one of the people familiar with the matter said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-agencies-hacked-in-foreign-cyber-espionage-campaign/ar-BB1bTH6X?ocid=News

I'm curious if these computers are kept online 24/7 even if they don't need to be. It seems hackers could be stopped cold, when no one is at the Office and the computer turned off.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2020 at 11:40 PM, Jujo-jo said:

True! So I am hearing, Biden and Kamala are tied into the deal as well. I dont think its Russia, I think its China. Russia doesn't like China or Soros anymore than we do.

China and Russia are both communist countries who have been kept in second or third place in the world by the success of the US.   Neither one of them wants to give their own citizens the freedom we have.  They have a lot more in common with each other than either does with us. Russia and China would be happy to carve us up before they settle with each other.

There are experts in computer forensics investigating this hack.  Right now, they seem to think it can be traced back to Russia, at least that is what Pompeo says. Opinions in the media or on these forums are no more than projections of what we want it to be, 

Biden is not in power, Donald Trump is President.   What is happening  has occurred since March on Donald Trump's watch. 

A suspicious person might think that the nearly unhindered spread of covid and the encouragement by the Trump administration  not to social distance or wear masks plays into their hands.

A suspicious person might think that all of the rhetoric about stolen elections without evidence that can be presented in court are a distraction.

A suspicious person might think that Donald Trump saying it might be China  has no basis in fact, just what he wants reality to be. 

The response today is Donald Trump's response.  The actions the US takes in the next month are for Donald Trump to decide. 

• Like 2

On 12/15/2020 at 1:49 AM, Manwon Lender said:

Yes, the truth will come out, but the real question is how badly was the United States and other Nations compromised by this intrusion / Hacking. Sadly we will never know the true answer to that question.

Take care my Friend:tu:

From what I've been hearing... this is incredibly serious. Possibly the most serious computer hack since.. well... ever ? 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, and then said:

Well look at the flip side of that.  Trump and his VP are just bad jokes to half the enation and you are right now talking about military force to impose their will.  

POGO WALT KELLY WE HAVE MET THE ENEMY AND HE IS US fifasteluce.com

• Like 1

On 12/14/2020 at 7:52 PM, Manwon Lender said:

Technically it is an act of War, the problem is proving who was actually responsible. We cant just attack a foreign country because we think they did, we have to absolutely positive!!:yes:

Take care my friend

Right , i wouldn't say go attack anyone right off, but anyone who does this then knows that it is a possibility on the table. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, South Alabam said:

I'm curious if these computers are kept online 24/7 even if they don't need to be. It seems hackers could be stopped cold, when no one is at the Office and the computer turned off.

I can tell you that from my experience that in Military, while the computers were not left on all the time the servers are. So, it doesnt matter if the servers are infected every computer in that network would also be effected once they are turned on.

Take care my friend

• Like 1