Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dust and soil from asteroid Ryugu revealed

UM-Bot

It is amazing that they were able to succeed in doing what they did.  It'll be interesting when they release the result of their tests.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

It is amazing that they were able to succeed in doing what they did.  It'll be interesting when they release the result of their tests.

Yes....I’m very interested in reading the mineral content of the soil, and see how it compares to what we find here in our planet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guyver said:

Yes....I’m very interested in reading the mineral content of the soil, and see how it compares to what we find here in our planet.

I hadn't really kept up on this project.  What was the motivation?   Pure science or maybe mining an asteroid.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Myles said:

I hadn't really kept up on this project.  What was the motivation?   Pure science or maybe mining an asteroid.  

Probably a little of both.  We have had at least two landings by probes on asteroids now, both missions had the intent of obtaining samples.  At the same time, being able to land a probe on an asteroid successfully means that on those identified with Earth intercept orbits, we could develop the tech to divert them and thereby spare us from annihilation, or at least a large death count.  

• Like 1