Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Vaping wreaks havoc on the lungs

Eldorado

In a recent study published in the American Journal of Physiology, teams at University of California San Diego School of Medicine, the Royal Adelaide Hospital and the University of Adelaide School of Medicine in Australia found that the flavoring chemicals of e-cigarette vapor alone can measurably damage the lungs, regardless of the presence of nicotine.

"Ninety-nine percent of e-cigarette liquids are flavored. To create these flavor profiles, companies are adding multiple chemicals to achieve that 'perfect' taste," said Laura Crotty Alexander, MD, associate professor of medicine in the Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine at UC San Diego School of Medicine and section chief of Pulmonary Critical Care at Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System.

"These chemicals have been found to be toxic to the lungs. When inhaled, they wreak havoc on the lungs and affect specialized protein levels that help keep the body's immune system on track."

Full monty at EurekAlert: Link

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

If you think inhaling ANYTHING like that into your lungs is good for your health, I've got news for you. And I know lots of people who didn't even smoke beforehand, they just picked up vaping the nicotine free juice. I won't sit here and say it's as bad as smoking, but it's not just some damn trendy habit you pick up... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As it says, the flavorings are the problem. God only knows who is putting what into the juice for flavors with all the thousands of different mixes out there.

Go flavorless. Better yet, mix your own. Flavorless tastes sweet and smells like someone just baked something.

Edited by moonman
  • Thanks 1

Doesn't seem like they tested any THC or CBD ones..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The THC and CBD are some of the worst culprits as so much of the market is 'gray', cheaply made cartridges coming from places with few regulations. But all the time I see people loading up on these because they're inexpensive. You're putting it in your lungs, idiot! At least make it worth it! 

If you're a consumer, STOP BUYING CHEAP CRAP! This is your health, dummy. 

Edited by HandsomeGorilla