Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cheese & wine reduce cognitive decline?

Eldorado

Here are four of the most significant findings from the study:

1. Cheese, by far, was shown to be the most protective food against age-related cognitive problems, even late into life;
  2. The daily consumption of alchohol, particularly red wine, was related to improvements in cognitive function;
  3. Weekly consumption of lamb, but not other red meats, was shown to improve long-term cognitive prowess; and
  4. Excessive consumption of salt is bad, but only individuals already at risk for Alzheimer's Disease may need to watch their intake to avoid cognitive problems over time.

"I was pleasantly surprised that our results suggest that responsibly eating cheese and drinking red wine daily are not just good for helping us cope with our current COVID-19 pandemic, but perhaps also dealing with an increasingly complex world that never seems to slow down," Willette said.

Full monty at Science Daily: Link

• Like 2

I'm sure moderation has a big part in that.   :lol:  Also, I don't think processed cheeses would qualify and that "daily consumption" needs to be qualified with a quantity, for example 1 bottle a day is not going to help alleviate the mental decline.  In fact I think one glass of wine is probably the equivalent of a good soak in a hot tube.  Who paid for this study?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is one of those feel good articles they like to put out that ends up making people think they can just eat whatever quantity because 'it's healthy'.

The cognitive preservation is likely linked to the fats in the cheese. 

3 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Here are four of the most significant findings from the study:

1. Cheese, by far, was shown to be the most protective food against age-related cognitive problems, even late into life;
  2. The daily consumption of alchohol, particularly red wine, was related to improvements in cognitive function;
  3. Weekly consumption of lamb, but not other red meats, was shown to improve long-term cognitive prowess; and
  4. Excessive consumption of salt is bad, but only individuals already at risk for Alzheimer's Disease may need to watch their intake to avoid cognitive problems over time.

"I was pleasantly surprised that our results suggest that responsibly eating cheese and drinking red wine daily are not just good for helping us cope with our current COVID-19 pandemic, but perhaps also dealing with an increasingly complex world that never seems to slow down," Willette said.

Full monty at Science Daily: Link

Sounds like lamb kebabs are the new super food.

• Haha 2