Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

It's Time to Split Up the GOP | Opinion

Vorg

I'm a Republican of 40 years' standing, a former official in a Republican administration and a consistent supporter of Republican ideals. Like many others with such credentials, I had hoped that when Donald Trump was elected in 2016, the new president and his party would revert to responsibility and follow the principles and policies that have guided Republicans for the past 166 years. Boy, was I wrong.

James K. Glassman served as Under Secretary of State for Public Diplomacy and Public Affairs in the George W. Bush Administration.

It's Time to Split Up the GOP | Opinion (msn.com)

Edited by South Alabam
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

I'm so tired of both political parties.  I'm so tired of the media.  I'm just kind of done with all of it.  Honestly, I don't care if the Republican's split.  What would they split into  Old Republicans and New Republicans.  Glassman, et al, are only there to line their own back pockets and enhance their resumes.  Just my humble opinion.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

I'm a Republican of 40 years' standing, a former official in a Republican administration and a consistent supporter of Republican ideals. Like many others with such credentials, I had hoped that when Donald Trump was elected in 2016, the new president and his party would revert to responsibility and follow the principles and policies that have guided Republicans for the past 166 years. Boy, was I wrong.

James K. Glassman served as Under Secretary of State for Public Diplomacy and Public Affairs in the George W. Bush Administration.

You must never have seen him on hist TV show.

2 minutes ago, joc said:

I'm so tired of both political parties.  I'm so tired of the media.  I'm just kind of done with all of it.  Honestly, I don't care if the Republican's split.  What would they split into  Old Republicans and New Republicans.  Glassman, et al, are only there to line their own back pockets and enhance their resumes.  Just my humble opinion.

I am tired of it too.  We need more parties but I doubt there will be a split.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Why split when we are evenly divided?  This is what they wanted...two parties...nation split in half.  But not over something as fundamental as slavery...split over everything from income diversification  to race to sex to ...name it...we are all already split.  That's why I said...what will they split into?  pffft  They aren't...they won't...because doing so would only 'lessen' their power.

28 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

Sounds like a good way to ensure the Democrats keep winning elections.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Who wanted?  What "they"?   Our founders did not want any kind split and warned against it.  Washington & Jefferson and others warned against parties.  Yet here we are.  And my opinion is that the Party (both) have messed up too much.  For one thing politics was never supposed to be a viable career, it was a civic duty and after 2 or 4 years you went home to your real life. We need to get back to that.  Get rid of the parties or create 15 so that no one party rules, and there is no division in the country over politics.

good luck with that...it ain't never gonna happen.   The Legislature legislated themselves 'above the law'.  

Just now, joc said:

good luck with that...it ain't never gonna happen.   The Legislature legislated themselves 'above the law'.  

Yep, but I can complain about it.  And if enough of us voted people out instead of choosing a party no one would the career option would go away eventually.  Not enough will ever vote that way though, it is too much fun to be polarized and play the us vs them game.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

Yep, but I can complain about it.  And if enough of us voted people out instead of choosing a party no one would the career option would go away eventually.  Not enough will ever vote that way though, it is too much fun to be polarized and play the us vs them game.

It's more than that though...when you get voted into office...if you ever want to have any power you have to 'side' with the party leaders...and...to be reelected means a non-stop effort.   If say, you or I vote for Person A or Person B because they say...I'm going to work hard to get Term Limits for the Congress....he/she will never have any power...because even if they get elected they'll never get a bill on the floor...and they won't be reelected because of the willing media to destroy whomever the powerbrokers decide need to be destroyed. 

I don't even care anymore.  It IS a game...it IS a us vs. them game....but there are just as many of 'us' as there are of 'them'...and neither Us nor Them have any power.  It's a game no one wins except those who are actually moving the pieces on the board.

1 minute ago, joc said:

It's more than that though...when you get voted into office...if you ever want to have any power you have to 'side' with the party leaders...and...to be reelected means a non-stop effort.   If say, you or I vote for Person A or Person B because they say...I'm going to work hard to get Term Limits for the Congress....he/she will never have any power...because even if they get elected they'll never get a bill on the floor...and they won't be reelected because of the willing media to destroy whomever the powerbrokers decide need to be destroyed. 

I don't even care anymore.  It IS a game...it IS a us vs. them game....but there are just as many of 'us' as there are of 'them'...and neither Us nor Them have any power.  It's a game no one wins except those who are actually moving the pieces on the board.

THat's the problem "to be re-elected" and that becomes the focus instead of the civic duty or representation.

• Thanks 4

The fallacy of the whole thing is starting to show. Both parties i mean. But heck it looks like they may actually be getting close to another stimulus deal now. Amazing what can happen if their holiday recess gets threatened.

• Thanks 3

I agree with Mr. Glassman that a split needs to occur.  Let those who support and defend our Constitution leave that establishment cesspool and form a 3rd Party.  Those who are in DC for any other reason can wither on the vine.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Sounds like a good way to ensure the Democrats keep winning elections.

What HORRORS, we might get living wages, unions, universal healthcare, AND more vacation time! D:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, Autochthon1990 said:

What HORRORS, we might get living wages, unions, universal healthcare, AND more vacation time! D:

00B2C6A6-F500-45AD-A566-D1B25577D63B.jpeg.095c958c4aca12f7151103014f420fd4.jpeg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Autochthon1990 said:

So join the military, I agree.

Republicans are tearing themselves apart now with all the infighting. It didn't help their cause at all by calling the repubs traitors, with censuring  to those who finally acknowledged that Biden won. They'll be lucky to still have a party after the rabid trumpet politicians are done. Still predicting a double Dem victory in the Georgia run-offs. Even more so now with Biden calling out to Georgians to stop the GOP's madness towards their State. They voted Democrat, and they're going to stay that way for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, South Alabam said:

Indeed. Especially from whom it was penned.

Steve Schmidt stepped over to the Dems yesterday. Just what the Dems need, another Rino to pull the party further right. He better have some good scuttlebutt to report. 

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/12/15/2002219/-Steve-Schmidt-Literally-Joins-the-Democratic-Party?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_far

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

Republicans are tearing themselves apart now with all the infighting. It didn't help their cause at all by calling the repubs traitors, with censuring  to those who finally acknowledged that Biden won. They'll be lucky to still have a party after the rabid trumpet politicians are done. Still predicting a double Dem victory in the Georgia run-offs. Even more so now with Biden calling out to Georgians to stop the GOP's madness towards their State. They voted Democrat, and they're going to stay that way for the foreseeable future. 

Maybe some good will happen to the political demographic in the USA thru all this. I understand that they are proud of their demokracy and all that but having only two parties to choose from year in year out is almost as having no choice. Most advanced democratic countries have three and sometimes more than 15 parties to choose from. Not saying they have to adopt what we have in Canada but it is much easier for us, the people, to keep a tab on them and they have to form temporary coalitions to reign.

Not every one is just right or just left and I believe our neighbours in the US are the same. But, they don't have a choice other than giving way to much power to one party or president.

Maybe a third or even a fourth party would fix some dividing issues in the US that are, for no reason, centuries old and people would finally vote for their country and not for a party only.

Anyway, good luck USA, we still love you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, South Alabam said:

A closet Democrat. It's good he just faced it, came out and got it over with. 

7 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

It won't. That "other" Party, on the other hand........

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

So join the military, I agree.

Sounds nice, but I don't want to be Swedish.

38 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

A closet Democrat. It's good he just faced it, came out and got it over with. 

Oh goody. A 'no true Scotsman' fallacy. Haven't seen one of them in ages.