Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

It's Time to Split Up the GOP | Opinion

Vorg

1 minute ago, Arbenol said:

Oh goody. A 'no true Scotsman' fallacy. Haven't seen one of them in ages.

Not at all. I was once a Democrat 'till I woke up to the realization I wasn't anymore. Times, Parties and people change. People of good conscience find they can't vote a straight ticket, anymore. Some are just a little more pompous about it than others.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, South Alabam said:

I'm a Republican of 40 years' standing, a former official in a Republican administration and a consistent supporter of Republican ideals. Like many others with such credentials, I had hoped that when Donald Trump was elected in 2016, the new president and his party would revert to responsibility and follow the principles and policies that have guided Republicans for the past 166 years. Boy, was I wrong.

James K. Glassman served as Under Secretary of State for Public Diplomacy and Public Affairs in the George W. Bush Administration.

It's Time to Split Up the GOP | Opinion (msn.com)

From what ive learned on here since trumps big 2020 loss and the GOP are done with him as are the American voters who could only take so much of trump wiping his bum with the constitution

its been suggested trump will form a new group, no, not exactly a cult it will win 2024 and take out both the dems and gop parties they will be defunct, history,

so then we will have one party of trump, he will of course rewrite the constitution and laws on the fly to suit his daily changing needs, when he retires or passes on a son or daughter will step up.

Only 4 more years and....

8f6.gif&ehk=NMEAVtp78AokF9UbmoHqCVOQMjE1

Welcome to trumpland starshower.gif.6f34334d3539a63470b1a760a2b1a4a3.gif

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Not at all. I was once a Democrat 'till I woke up to the realization I wasn't anymore. Times, Parties and people change. People of good conscience find they can't vote a straight ticket, anymore. 

And that's how it should be. America needs a third party.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:

Not at all. I was once a Democrat 'till I woke up to the realization I wasn't anymore. Times, Parties and people change. People of good conscience find they can't vote a straight ticket, anymore. Some are just a little more pompous about it than others.

Wasn’t it Churchill who said anyone who wasn’t a liberal when they were young had no heart and not a conservative when they’re old had no brain?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arbenol said:

Why? The only way a multiplicity of Parties gets anything done is in coalitions. We just skip that step. 

2 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Wasn’t it Churchill who said anyone who wasn’t a liberal when they were young had no heart and not a conservative when they’re old had no brain?

I thought he was quoting Disraeli. 

6 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Why? The only way a multiplicity of Parties gets anything done is in coalitions. We just skip that step. 

Mainly because, as a nation, you're hopelessly divided. Coalitions are arguably the best form of government. No one has carte blanche to do as they like and changes are generally measured and based on compromise. Deadlocked governments tend to change less which is always a good thing in my book.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Arbenol said:

Mainly because, as a nation, you're hopelessly divided. Coalitions are arguably the best form of government. No one has carte blanche to do as they like and changes are generally measured and based on compromise. Deadlocked governments tend to change less which is always a good thing in my book.

Well, we've stumbled along this way for over two hundred years and the checks and balances keeping anyone from doing as they please have worked, more-or-less. Americans tend to find Parliamentary Democracies too volatile and subject to abrupt and disruptive change. We're not at all enchanted by the idea of governments resigning because of a single mistake.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Arbenol said:

We need more than one additional party, and we need all 50 states to allow independents to run for office.  That is the balance between two parties struggle for control, get people in office that are not affiliated with either of the two.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, joc said:

It's more than that though...when you get voted into office...if you ever want to have any power you have to 'side' with the party leaders...and...to be reelected means a non-stop effort.   If say, you or I vote for Person A or Person B because they say...I'm going to work hard to get Term Limits for the Congress....he/she will never have any power...because even if they get elected they'll never get a bill on the floor...and they won't be reelected because of the willing media to destroy whomever the powerbrokers decide need to be destroyed. 

I don't even care anymore.  It IS a game...it IS a us vs. them game....but there are just as many of 'us' as there are of 'them'...and neither Us nor Them have any power.  It's a game no one wins except those who are actually moving the pieces on the board.

"There's only one way to win this shell game, Be the one who gets the other guy to play..." Todd Snider

21 hours ago, Old Guy said:

So join the military, I agree.

Dude, call me crazy, but maybe you shouldn't have to charge at a bunch of Jihadi's with a rifle to get your insulin...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Autochthon1990 said:

Dude, call me crazy, but maybe you shouldn't have to charge at a bunch of Jihadi's with a rifle to get your insulin...

No you could just sit 300 miles away and charge them with a drone.  Seems pretty safe.

20 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Sounds nice, but I don't want to be Swedish.

Then don't, be American.

• Haha 1

On 12/17/2020 at 10:49 AM, Robotic Jew said:

"There's only one way to win this shell game, Be the one who gets the other guy to play..." Todd Snider

I'm not playing

• Like 1