Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Have computers killed chess?

Eldorado

Chess is enjoying something of a renaissance, thanks to the Netflix series The Queen's Gambit – along with it being a game well-suited to Covid lockdowns.

Yet many chess-lovers contend its lure is simultaneously being killed off by computers, which take the romance and mystery from the game in ever more accurate analysis. But this is an adaptable game of paradoxes, and technology has proven to both give and take. Will chess ever be 'solved'? And could it survive if it was?

Six-minute video at the UK Guardian: Link

At YouTube:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chess is a p vs np scenario; so no it will never be 'solved'.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Chess is enjoying something of a renaissance, thanks to the Netflix series The Queen's Gambit – along with it being a game well-suited to Covid lockdowns.

Yet many chess-lovers contend its lure is simultaneously being killed off by computers, which take the romance and mystery from the game in ever more accurate analysis. But this is an adaptable game of paradoxes, and technology has proven to both give and take. Will chess ever be 'solved'? And could it survive if it was?

Six-minute video at the UK Guardian: Link

At YouTube:

Nah...I don't think computers have harmed chess at all much less killed it.  It gives a much needed outlet for players to play...without it...most of u s wouldn't be playing.  I am currently watching The Queens Gambit.  Interesting but very sad.  I'm really more interested in the life story of the guy in the picture above...Magnus Carlsen.  

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, zep73 said:

Perhaps because a narcissistic megalomaniac was at the steering wheel the first year? After that it's been damage control and catching up.

So what is Mother Nature’s next move, would you imagine?

Can you see it? Has her hand not already moved the piece?