Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cottingley Fairies photograph goes on display

UM-Bot

news-cottingley-fairies.jpg

Thats really nice and crisp lively but its the retouched edited version,  as the camera they claimed to use couldnt take that picture,

Here is the orginal "less lively" image, so a lot of work had to take place to make it look like the top image.

OIP.wzkpckbTvAf2FwLpwr9SJwHaEg?w=193&h=1

I also speculate that while the girls claimed this to be their work that photographer dad was more involved than anyone admitted , why they never said so i do not know,

But the original image below was not edited by the girls so who did all the work to make the bottom image look like the top image.

• Like 1

The photographs, which were considered highly convincing at the time

By whom? Certainly not by photographers, scientists, or anyone with even a little knowledge of photography or science.

Edited by Seti42

2 hours ago, the13bats said:

But the original image below was not edited by the girls so who did all the work to make the bottom image look like the top image.

I'd wager whoever has been publishing the images (both in print and on the web) since then...Trying to pass them off as "real" or "real?" to sell books/generate clicks.

• Like 1

Lol, looks fake af.  The fairies look flat and lack any shadows or light gradient on their face/body needed to match lighting conditions on the girl. 

Edited by DreadLordAvatar
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Seti42 said:

By whom? Certainly not by photographers, scientists, or anyone with even a little knowledge of photography or science.

Apparently Arthur Conan Doyle really *really* wanted to believe that the photos show genuine fairies, but that was at a time when he had lost his son in WW1 and was trying to find proof of a spirit realm/the afterlife.

Just now, DreadLordAvatar said:

Lol, looks fake af.  The fairies look flat and lack any shadows or light gradient on their face/body needed to match those on the girl. 

I know right? It's very obvious that they are just painted cutouts.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

Apparently Arthur Conan Doyle really *really* wanted to believe that the photos show genuine fairies, but that was at a time when he had lost his son in WW1 and was trying to find proof of a spirit realm/the afterlife.

True. I had forgotten how Doyle got really into mysticism/spirituality, especially later in life. He was into seances and all that BS.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Seti42 said:

I'd wager whoever has been publishing the images (both in print and on the web) since then...Trying to pass them off as "real" or "real?" to sell books/generate clicks.

Heres a bit more on that,

http://hoaxes.org/photo_database/image/the_cottingley_fairies/

I always loved this story and the fact its still got a bit of mystery, the girls simply could not have done that days equivalent of photoshopping the pictures so who did, their dad? Edward Gardner?  i would even have include sir Conan Doyle,

At the time no one tried to profit off of them in any big way, perhaps they helped sell an extra magazine or two,

Fun part is to this day some folks think they are real.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, the13bats said:

I always loved this story and the fact its still got a bit of mystery, the girls simply could not have done that days equivalent of photoshopping the pictures so who did, their dad? Edward Gardner?  i would even have include sir Conan Doyle,

The very article you link points out that the fairies are painted paper-cutouts kept in place by hat-pins, so I think the girls did it themselves. And the one where they appear translucent is likely a (accidental or purposeful) double-exposure.

• Like 1

I know the girls used paper cutouts, im talking about the pictures presented,

Go back to my first post in this thread,  look at the picture as it came from the girls camera then look at how it was later presented, the girls couldnt have done that level of editing,

When this was in an episode of arthur c clarks mysterious world a big deal photo guy ( i cant recall his name ) in the uk said to the effect the camera didnt have that good a lense so a lot of skilled airbrushing and work when into the image he found the orginal negative which he showed they rubbed they plate with "brasso" to subdue the girls face help make the fairies stand out, then lots of airbrush

• Like 1

Arthur Conan Doyle, the man who gave us Sherlock Holmes. Sherlock Holmes, a guy using stone-cold logic, 'Spock' style.

A guy who also believed in fairies.

God doesn't have any mercy. We're just his most favorite lab rats.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The piece of the puzzle im missing is who and when was the editing done to the orginal picture,

Geoffrey Crawley was the fellow who tracked down the orginal negative plate, he exposed it as a hoax, that was around 1980,  i also read,

Elsie had an interest in photography herself, a talent for art and experience in retouching photographs

However, the imagine they used in Strand magazine doesnt appear to be edited, and i would have thought it would have been,

OIP.5Xu09-MVDUbIhxUhwtc5vAHaLH?w=193&h=2

How did it go from that image in that magazine to this,

news-cottingley-fairies.jpg

Oh and a great side note Alice swore until she died pix # 5 the sun bath was real faeries

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Nobu said:

I think those girls were beyond their time with a pair of scissors. Incredible scissor work. I feel like this is being overlooked. 

Im not 100% sold their confession was the full true story,

Sure, it was paper cut outs but i really have reserves that no adults helped in any of this.

Not that im selling short a 10 and 15yo im just saying i think they had help.

• Like 1

I saw a movie about this ages ago. In any case, I think the fairies were cut outs. And it is possible that  they did have some help from their father maybe in the photos. After all, in that time period and earlier, there were spirit photographs. There was one of Mary Todd Lincoln in her later years, taken with supposedly the  ghost of her husband president Abraham Lincoln.Think her son Robert Lincoln  later had her either commited, or in the care of a nurse..They might not have had photo shop then, but there is nothing to say the photos couldn't have been faked. In fact the background with the waterfall could have been used in a photo studio of the time.Most likely was never taken out doors at all.And yes, Conan Doyle was into spiritualism, i think he later converted and became a Roman Catholic. Spiritualism was very big in those days too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HollyDolly said:

I saw a movie about this ages ago. In any case, I think the fairies were cut outs. And it is possible that  they did have some help from their father maybe in the photos. After all, in that time period and earlier, there were spirit photographs. There was one of Mary Todd Lincoln in her later years, taken with supposedly the  ghost of her husband president Abraham Lincoln.Think her son Robert Lincoln  later had her either commited, or in the care of a nurse..They might not have had photo shop then, but there is nothing to say the photos couldn't have been faked. In fact the background with the waterfall could have been used in a photo studio of the time.Most likely was never taken out doors at all.And yes, Conan Doyle was into spiritualism, i think he later converted and became a Roman Catholic. Spiritualism was very big in those days too.

I am not saying dad didnt help however, my research showed dad was a skeptic but mom a believer and mom was the conduit to get the picture to doyle thru gardner, then the girls were given better cameras etc,

I speculate for reasons gardner was the one who had or did the editing of that first image,

Then i kind of believe the girls, doyle was highly respected and back then people didnt get off making folks look ridiculous like the do today when it blew up with doyles endorsement it would have been devastatingly embarrassing for doyle to have been duded by a couple lil girls so the girls in both their nobility and fun in fooling people kept to their story.

Doyle was into the paranormal / spiritualism  for the same many turn to it grief of loss of loved one, im under the impression doyle died believing the faeries were real as he did the Piltdown Man, depending of course if you believe doyle fell for the ruse or was part of it. ( on either cases )

Yeah, perhaps the girls never blabbed because doyle asked them not to.