Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cryptozoologist of the Year 2020

Eldorado

The strong spirited Dr. Koffmann has been a major force in Russian-French Hominology. She is the Cryptozoologist of the Year!

Only infrequently do we know of one of our peers who has achieved so very much in terms of hominological research (in her case, research and fieldwork on the Almasty) and lived so long.

On July 22, 2020, Marie-Jeanne Koffmann, M.D., reached the age of 101. She lives in Paris, in a home, Gautier Wendelen, for the elderly.

Born in France, Koffmann spent most of her life in the Soviet Union, as a surgeon at Moscow hospitals and a mountaineer. She became interested in the “Snowman” mystery in the 1950s, particularly in Kabrarda (Caucasus), where she recorded hundreds of sightings of the almasty, the local variety of the Almas.

Full article at CryptozooNews

• Like 3

Wow.  what an honour.......

I actually took a brief look at this:

https://www.isu.edu/media/libraries/rhi/research-papers/Koffmann_2.pdf

(I won't get that ten minutes back..)

Does anyone know the difference between anecdotes and "direct eyewitness reports"?  (the person just has to say "really" or "honestly" or "I swear")

And how do such reports then become evidence that is scientifically analysable?  (I'm a bit stuck on that question, but apparently the "Cryptozoologist of the Year" knows...)

Important added footnote.. surely the word should be spelled "Cryptozooologist"????  Maybe I'm just pronunciatering it wrongully.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One would think the person bestowed the award would have found something. I guess when your field is made of imaginary creatures it's easy to overlook that.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Important added footnote.. surely the word should be spelled "Cryptozooologist"????  Maybe I'm just pronunciatering it wrongully.

No, it's spelled "zoology" and pronounced "zew-all-oh-gee", not "zew-low-gee". This pronunciation used to be signified by putting an umlaut over the second o ("zoölogy"), but this spelling was dropped. It's the same way that words like cooperation and reevaluation are pronounced and spelled.

Edited by Carnoferox
  • Like 3

Also I think Koffmann deserves the award for the anthropological value of her work. Many of these stories from Central Asian cultures would not have been recorded otherwise, and they are worth preserving regardless of their truthfulness.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Trelane said:

One would think the person bestowed the award would have found something. I guess when your field is made of imaginary creatures it's easy to overlook that.

I agree, since the subject is Cryptozoologist even if they didn't find something, you would think they could at least make something up!!!:P

Take Care my friend:tu:

• Like 2