Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Execution delayed for Woman on Death Row

Grim Reaper 6

The execution of Lisa Montgomery, the only woman on federal death row, has been delayed a second time. Montgomery, 52, got the death penalty in 2008 for killing a pregnant woman four years earlier and stealing her fetus. The baby survived. Montgomery’s execution was initially scheduled for Dec. 8, but two of her attorneys contracted coronavirus. The federal government tried to reschedule the execution for Jan. 12, but a judge ruled Thursday that date was in violation of court rules, The Associated Press reported.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/execution-delayed-for-only-woman-on-federal-death-row-possibly-to-after-joe-bidens-inauguration/ar-BB1ceId1

• Like 2

A US appeals court has lifted a stay of execution on the only woman awaiting a federal death penalty.

BBC

• Like 1

Delaying the execution seems more barbaric than the act of it.

Edited by openozy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, openozy said:

Delaying the execution seems more barbaric than the act of it.

what about the crime she's on death row for?

• Like 3

Just now, Dejarma said:

So society should lower to her level ? She was probably mentally ill.

• Like 2

On 1/6/2021 at 6:59 AM, openozy said:

So society should lower to her level ? She was probably mentally ill.

what do you mean by: 'probably'? what if she wasn't?

Edited by Dejarma
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dejarma said:

what do you mean by: 'probably'? what if she wasn't?

I don't know about the case but it doesn't make much difference. She obviously is dangerous and should be kept locked up and made to work. I don't think death is a punishment, if that's what you are into, a life of labour without parole is. It also allows for the chance of wrongly convicted people to prove their innocence.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, openozy said:

It also allows for the chance of wrongly convicted people to prove their innocence.

yep, an obvious & good point:tu:

She obviously is dangerous and should be kept locked up and made to work. I don't think death is a punishment, if that's what you are into, a life of labour without parole is

personally i'd rather die than live like this! she has no choice= forced on her.. what do you think?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dejarma said:

personally i'd rather die than live like this! she has no choice= forced on her.. what do you think?

Yeah, for sure. Death to me is a sweet release from this life and being executed would be a less painful way to go than most do, maybe if she is totally insane it would be more humane.

Just now, openozy said:

Yeah, for sure. Death to me is a sweet release from this life and being executed would be a less painful way to go than most do, maybe if she is totally insane it would be more humane.

i rest my case then= next?

On 12/26/2020 at 4:55 AM, Manwon Lender said:

The execution of Lisa Montgomery, the only woman on federal death row, has been delayed a second time. Montgomery, 52, got the death penalty in 2008 for killing a pregnant woman four years earlier and stealing her fetus. The baby survived. Montgomery’s execution was initially scheduled for Dec. 8, but two of her attorneys contracted coronavirus. The federal government tried to reschedule the execution for Jan. 12, but a judge ruled Thursday that date was in violation of court rules, The Associated Press reported.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/execution-delayed-for-only-woman-on-federal-death-row-possibly-to-after-joe-bidens-inauguration/ar-BB1ceId1

Why has it taken 16 years to get to this point?

She should have been executed no later than 12 months after.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cookie Monster said:

Because of WELL KNOWN litigation. 

Federal executions had previously been stalled as federal death row prisoners challenged the DOJ’s lethal injection protocol. In 2006, in Roane v. Gonzalez, several federal death row prisoners argued that the three-drug lethal injection cocktail used by the government would “inflict unnecessary and savage pain” in violation of the Eighth Amendment. Federal executions were stayed pending the litigation. 

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/committees/death_penalty_representation/project_press/2020/fall-2020/federal-government-executes-seven-in-three-months/

1 hour ago, Cookie Monster said:

I honestly have no idea.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

I honestly have no idea.

Someone commits a serious offence.

To begin with its not a stupid mistake someone might make like having too much to drink at Xmas. Then crashing their car on the way home and killing someone. Or having a punch up with the other one falling and hitting their head on something. Just to point it out I`m not saying any of these are okay, they still require prison time.

This is the type of offence where the person isn`t right in the head to begin with. Normal people don`t go and murder a pregnant woman, then cut her foetus out. That means either serious developmental problems in their brain, or serious mental illness. There is no guilty by insanity so if mental illness is present it isn`t at the point where she didn`t know right from wrong.

Just because someone is extremely negative, jealous, depressed, bored, needing attention, hate filled, angry at life, etc, doesn`t mean they aren`t in control of their mental faculties or give them justification for committing crime. Just because someone has learning difficulties, behaviour and control problems, etc, doesn`t mean they should escape just punishment for their offence.

She knew what she was doing, she knew the difference between right and wrong, therefore why keep her on death row for 16 years? She should have been given 12 months to do whatever appeal she might have wanted too, then execute her.

If the legal system if worried about the drugs not working properly then a bullet is 10 cents. Alternatively a noose costs more but can be re-used.

Edited by Cookie Monster
  • Like 4

On 1/6/2021 at 7:57 AM, Dejarma said:

think about this, you know the...let me say 8th December (just pulled a date out of my head) you are going to die, you prepare mentally for that day. When finally it comes, its delayed. That can be crushing....because you know a bad thing is going to happen, but not sure when.

forecast is on strong anxiety and sleepless nights. Psychofarmaca may be required.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Poncho_Peanatus said:

think about this, you know the...let me say 8th December (just pulled a date out of my head) you are going to die, you prepare mentally for that day. When finally it comes, its delayed. That can be crushing....because you know a bad thing is going to happen, but not sure when.

forecast is on strong anxiety and sleepless nights. Psychofarmaca may be required.

I certainly agree with you, but I dont feel sorry for someone sentenced to death that is finally going to be executed. By the time the appeals process is over maybe 20 years has passed. So at that point the person guilt is pretty much certain. But, I do understand your point , and I do agree that is how someone's last days would be spent. But it can actually be worst, how about someone laid out on the table with the IVs in their arms. The second before they push the button the phone rings and the execution in suspended for whatever reason, that would be horrible. I cant even imagine the shock the person would be in.

Take care

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Poncho_Peanatus said:

yes of course but i'm not sure what point you're making

A US judge has granted a stay of execution to Lisa Montgomery - just hours before the only woman on America's federal death row was due to be given a lethal injection.

Judge James Hanlon said a competency hearing should be held first.

Montgomery's lawyers had argued she was mentally incompetent to be executed, saying she was born brain-damaged.

BBC report

• Like 1

The only woman on federal death row in the US has been executed after the Supreme Court overruled a stay on the sentence by lower courts.

Lisa Montgomery, 52, was put to death by lethal injection early on Wednesday at the federal prison complex in Terre Haute, Indiana, and was pronounced dead at 1.31am local time.

Sky News report via MSN: Link

• Like 3

I save my pity for the victim, also the child that grew up who will never be able to escape the knowledge of how she came into the world. 

• Like 3