Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do You Talk To Yourself?

Brandy333

https://www.lifehack.org/334241/why-people-who-talk-themselves-are-geniuses-according-scientists

At one time long ago it was thought of as weird for someone to talk to themselves, but now there has been a change in attitude about it.   There has been times if I was near someone and thought they were talking to me, but they said "oh, I was just talking to myself".    I'll admit, though I don't do it all day, but at times I do talk to myself.   I think it helps keep my mind uncluttered and be able to work out decision making abilities.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

Yep, who doesn't? I think everyone does, or they just don't admit it. Am I nuts? Don't answer that. 

No, you're not nuts (lol).

• Like 2

I'd hardly think talking to yourself is a sign you are a genius, a lot of mentally ill people do it all the time.

• Thanks 1

You’ve heard of Robinson Caruso?  Well, the real story of that was Alexander Selkirk who got marooned on a deserted island.  It is an amazing story.  First thing he did was domesticate cats and keep them to kill those huge island rats that can chew your toes off at night, and then he caught a goat.  And another, and then he domesticated goats.  So, things were going great, except he forgot to talk to himself in English enough and began to speak goat?!  Well, Indont know what you’d call it but by the time he got rescued, non of the Englishmen could understand him for a few days.  So yeah, talking to yourself is alright.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/27/2020 at 9:40 PM, openozy said:

I'd hardly think talking to yourself is a sign you are a genius, a lot of mentally ill people do it all the time.

Sometimes when I hit a roadblock, I go for a quick smoke, talk to myself how to solve the issue and most of the time I come back with the solution.

Also, I talk to God alot, about everything. I even tell him to foff when he screws up. Does this count as crazy or still semi-normal?

Also, since I speak a few different languages I do practise asking questions in one and answer in one of the other. Please don't judge me.

• Like 4

Sometimes you just have to hear what you are thinking out loud so you can get a grip.  If there is no one around and you don't have the habit of talking to yourself you could become a raving lunatic.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, odas said:

Sometimes when I hit a roadblock, I go for a quick smoke, talk to myself how to solve the issue and most of the time I come back with the solution.

Also, I talk to God alot, about everything. I even tell him to foff when he screws up. Does this count as crazy or still semi-normal?

Also, since I speak a few different languages I do practise asking questions in one and answer in one of the other. Please don't judge me.

I think most people do to a certain extent and I don't think it's illness but I don't believe it makes you a genius.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, openozy said:

I think most people do to a certain extent and I don't think it's illness but I don't believe it makes you a genius.

Defenitly not a genius but it solves many of my problems.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

I do talk to myself at times in terms of thinking out-loud such as say if i'm reflecting an idea I will often write it down and vocalize it as I'm putting it down on paper. Also  we often talk to ourselves when say for example when we are  looking into a mirror when practicing a speech or presentation and reflecting on what we are going to say. Then no nothing wrong with that at all.

Edited by Scholar4Truth
  • Like 3

All the time. I'm like Phillipe the Mouse in the movie Ladyhawke. 

• Like 1

On 12/28/2020 at 2:40 AM, openozy said:

Do they? I've worked as a nurse in mental health all my working life, I haven't noticed this.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ted hughes said:

Do they? I've worked as a nurse in mental health all my working life, I haven't noticed this.

I've known quite a few.

3 hours ago, ted hughes said:

I've also seen many doctors prescribe anti psychotic meds to people heavily into illicit drugs.

4 minutes ago, ted hughes said:

?

Just meant some people in the medical profession are not very observant.

5 hours ago, openozy said:

I've also seen many doctors prescribe anti psychotic meds to people heavily into illicit drugs.

I've seen many cases where they were needed for former users. 

• Like 1

Speaking to myself, I speak to myself rather a lot.  And I'm no genius.

I find talking to yourself helps to hash out problems etc.

I'm currently having a disagreement with the bloody ghecko in my ceiling who's chirping can be heard throughtout the whole house. lol

• Like 1

On 2/18/2021 at 4:29 PM, littlebrowndragon said:

Speaking to myself, I speak to myself rather a lot.  And I'm no genius.

I am sure you are, you just don't know it yet...;)

• Haha 1