Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

We Live In Hell

Guyver

6 hours ago, eight bits said:

@Guyver

Suffering is a good topic; we can all relate. It was a pleasure to read the Buddhist perspectives, too.

Suppose your premise is granted. We live in Hell.

What are the top three things we're supposed to do differently now that we have this information, that we wouldn't do without it?

Great question.  I don’t know if I have good answers for that question, but I would like to brain storm it with you and maybe come up with some ideas.

1.  Hope for time off for good behavior?

2.  Hope the simulation hypothesis is correct because every simulation has a beginning and end.  The simulation could end and we all disappear, or it could be reset and re-run with a change in parameters?

3.  Have the best time you can as often as one can in spite of contrary conditions....or in other words, damn the torpedoes and lets roll?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Guyver said:

Great question.  I don’t know if I have good answers for that question, but I would like to brain storm it with you and maybe come up with some ideas.

1.  Hope for time off for good behavior?

2.  Hope the simulation hypothesis is correct because every simulation has a beginning and end.  The simulation could end and we all disappear, or it could be reset and re-run with a change in parameters?

3.  Have the best time you can as often as one can in spite of contrary conditions....or in other words, damn the torpedoes and lets roll?

Self care, keep a bit of magic and live.

Sounds great, let us know your stories along the way, 

• Like 2

I went on holiday a few years ago with a friend.  We both did the same things and shared the same experiences.  I had a great time and pointed out the good points when we left.  My friend had a boring time and pointed out the bad points.  The only conclusion I could draw is that I was always optimistic and subconsciously always looking for the good in everything I saw and did, while their subconscious was looking for the negative side of everything they saw and did.  e.g.  Half full vs Half empty. 

Another point is that most people take so much for granted these days (clean water, indoor plumbing, light produced with the flick of a switch, healthy food, a warm bed, no wars).  We sadly have become so complacent with modern comforts that we condition ourselves to want more and expect more.  We struggle for perfection in an imperfect world, and until we realize this we can finally stop seeking perfection and instead be grateful for what we already do have. 

To quote British Prime Minister Harold Macmillan - "You've never had it so good."

Edited by TigerBright19
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, TigerBright19 said:

we can finally stop seeking perfection

No way.

Because if we do that, "hell" will be our certain reward.

Edited by Will Do

29 minutes ago, TigerBright19 said:

I went on holiday a few years ago with a friend.  We both did the same things and shared the same experiences.  I had a great time and pointed out the good points when we left.  My friend had a boring time and pointed out the bad points.  The only conclusion I could draw is that I was always optimistic and subconsciously always looking for the good in everything I saw and did, while their subconscious was looking for the negative side of everything they saw and did.  e.g.  Half full vs Half empty. 

Another point is that most people take so much for granted these days (clean water, indoor plumbing, light produced with the flick of a switch, healthy food, a warm bed, no wars).  We sadly have become so complacent with modern comforts that we condition ourselves to want more and expect more.  We struggle for perfection in an imperfect world, and until we realize this we can finally stop seeking perfection and instead be grateful for what we already do have. 

To quote British Prime Minister Harold Macmillan - "You've never had it so good."

Indeed, I remember struggling with optimism versus negativity too. I (we) settled on the middle way, in actuality this is more like I am optimistic ( to much) and hubby is extremely negative and we both remind the other to move towards the middle. It has worked out well, my husband will say “Sheri get your head out of the clouds” and I will say “Sean that is a bit extreme, there has to be something good, lol” and we both are grateful for the reminders, most of the time. Lol 

Thank you for sharing. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Will Do said:

No way.

Because if we do that, "hell" will be our certain reward.

You live in fear Will, that is something you might want to look at or not. Just feedback. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Maybe we live in Purgatory?  Maybe this is a test of whether we reach Heaven or Hell?  That is a philosophical question. From an objective perspective I've decided that the Earth without mankind would be a paradise.  Mankind is turning Earth into a Hell.  Sorry to admit it but I'm looking forward to that 100 mile wide asteroid.  I'm not fearful as I believe in an existence beyond death whether there is a Creator or not.  

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

55 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

You live in fear Will, that is something you might want to look at or not. Just feedback. 

I will always seek perfection in everything I do. Because there isn't a greater way to enjoy life.

Besides Sheri, what's the problem with seeking? Is there something wrong with it?

Fearlessly seeking perfection, is the same thing as being in heaven.

Edited by Will Do

3 hours ago, Liquid Gardens said:

If life is suffering because it includes suffering, why doesn't 'life is pleasure' also work since it also contains pleasure?

The question of a true thinker.  Good point.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Will Do said:

I will always seek perfection in everything I do. Because there isn't a greater way to enjoy life.

Besides Sheri, what's the problem with seeking? Is there something wrong with it?

You cannot attain perfection, as evinced by our physiological makeup.

You will be perpetually imperfect, just like the rest of us. To seek otherwise is only going to bring you pain, acting as a stark reminder that you are and never will be perfect.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

You cannot attain perfection

Yeah but that doesn't have anything to do with seeking perfection.

If it's not to seek perfection, you can do whatever you want with your free will, but for me, I use my free will to seek perfection in everything I do. Because in my experience everytime, when I don't, I end up feeling excruciating pain. :D

Pain that's certainly not a part of the business of being in heaven NOW instead of being in heaven later.

Everyone has a choice to make as to the truth of the matter but.....

Seeking perfection, is perfection.

Edited by Will Do

17 minutes ago, Will Do said:

So that which is unattainable is irrelevant to questing to attain said thing?

If you're searching for something you are operating based on the premise that it is either certainly attainable, or uncertainly attainable.

The notion of seeking becomes absolutely nonsensical once the thing being sought (i.e. attaining perfection) is acknowledged to be unattainable.

If it's not to seek perfection, you can do whatever you want with your free will, but for me, I use my free will to seek perfection in everything I do. Because in my experience everytime, when I don't, I end up feeling excruciating pain. 

You will have to come to terms with the pain.

You are not perfect and you will never be perfect. Trying to convince yourself otherwise will only further compound the pain.

Seeking to attain that which is without flaw in itself is flawed because flawlessness is not possible.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Sherapy said:

For me, In buddhism, life is suffering is just a nice way of saying life is gonna suck balls at times like it or not. One can make it worse or find ways to “lighten up”the load.

Good point, I also have an appreciation for I think it's a Buddhist observation that desire is the cause of all suffering.  I don't know how well that idea helps with physical pain but I think it does help compartmentalize or provide perspective on a whole host of 'worries' I guess that in aggregate can cause suffering to many people. Especially if you can combine that principle with the Stoics/Serenity prayer insights, and realize that a lot of what you desire, and thus worry about, is stuff that you got zero control over anyway - to me, that understanding can further thin out the anxiety.

Not that I want to give up desire, I'm willing to chance suffering for it in general, but my mongrel hodgepodge philosophy above does help me live up to one of my other credos: "don't sweat the small stuff".

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

flawlessness is not possible.

Tell me, you ever perform your duty at work without flaws?

I do it all the time. :D

It's why I'm paid the big bucks.

9 minutes ago, Will Do said:

Tell me, you ever perform your duty at work without flaws?

Honestly? No.

As a computer programmer my work is never without flaw.

Sometimes I will code things in such a way that results in unnecessary time complexity, variable assignment, spaghetti code, etc... all to meet the demands of the client.

I'm imperfect, and that's OK.

I do it all the time. :D

It's why I'm paid the big bucks.

I'm not convinced. I'm sure that if you reflected on your work you would find instances where the quality mars perfection.

Edited by Nuclear Wessel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

12 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

As a computer programmer my work is never without flaw.

I'm a programmer too. The code I regularly write is never perfect but what the machine outputs ALWAYS IS. 

It's like a miracle! :lol:

Seeking perfection is what I do when I write the code. Perfection is what results when the machine does exactly what I intended it to do, flaws and all in the program. Just like heaven.

Edited by Will Do
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Good point, I also have an appreciation for I think it's a Buddhist observation that desire is the cause of all suffering.  I don't know how well that idea helps with physical pain but I think it does help compartmentalize or provide perspective on a whole host of 'worries' I guess that in aggregate can cause suffering to many people. Especially if you can combine that principle with the Stoics/Serenity prayer insights, and realize that a lot of what you desire, and thus worry about, is stuff that you got zero control over anyway - to me, that understanding can further thin out the anxiety.

Not that I want to give up desire, I'm willing to chance suffering for it in general, but my mongrel hodgepodge philosophy above does help me live up to one of my other credos: "don't sweat the small stuff".

My position is one really doesn’t “give up” anything but accepts there is a whole host of things, desire being just one. That comes and goes and is appropriate when it does show up. Kinda like every thing has a time and a place. The problem is and one you do not have is a need to cling ( attach) to desire or meaning or religion or lack of religion or happiness or a whole  host of things to the point it becomes an obsession.  Disney just released a wonderful movie called “Soul” that does an excellent job of making this point in such a cute way, 

You are mentally flexible and able to hear and apply constructive criticism that is far more important than anything and transferable regardless, of the label.  IMHO.

What a great point too on the serenity prayer what a genius prayer that is. I use it all the time. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Will Do said:

I'm a programmer too. The code I regularly write is never perfect but what the machine outputs ALWAYS IS. 

Seeking perfection is what I do when I write the code. Perfection is what results when the machine does exactly what I intended it to do, flaws and all in the program. Just like heaven.

That's awesome! What kind of programmer are you? I write data analytics software using Python.

That being said, it is interesting you brought up the example of the output of the computer. I never really thought about it like that.

EDIT: Upon some further reflection I can certainly concede that some things are perfect.

A perfect circle is possible. A perfect output, I suppose, is possible; in the case that you mentioned, having the computer perform a task exactly how you instructed it to and displaying the correct output could be seen as perfect, certainly.

I can accept that we can create things that are predefined as perfect (i.e. specifying criteria for answers to questions on tests and having each of them met exactly as the criteria was predefined), but for a human to attain perfection (perfection in everything you do) is not possible; heck, even components in a computer degrade and could thus render output as imperfect. The potential for degradation could even be seen as a flaw.

Edited by Nuclear Wessel
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Will Do said:

Will, that is a great dangling analogy, but to me you are using it to rationalize your beliefs which is fine but, it is hollow, meaning it tells me nothing of value, other than how coding works.

Maybe you could add to this for my clarification. Thank you.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Will Do said:

I am not making judgements, so you are a seeker, then? 

What are you seeking?

Edited by Sherapy

11 hours ago, President Wearer of Hats said:

I’m sure California isn’t that bad ;)

It isn’t unless it is. And, to some it is. I say move by the beach here. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

A perfect circle is possible.

Eh. That's debatable. :whistle:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Will Do said:

If it's not to seek perfection, you can do whatever you want with your free will, but for me, I use my free will to seek perfection in everything I do. Because in my experience everytime, when I don't, I end up feeling excruciating pain. :D

Pain that's certainly not a part of the business of being in heaven NOW instead of being in heaven later.

Perfection is a mental disorder.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2