Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Brandy333

Haunted Yosemite National Park

Recommended Posts

Brandy333

https://mysteriousuniverse.org/2017/11/curses-vanishings-and-strange-paranormal-mysteries-at-yosemite-national-park/

Stories about hauntings, vanishings and paranormal mysteries in Yosemite National Park.   According to the article an Native American Chief was angered by the death of his son so he cursed the area where the park is now and strange things have happened there since.

Edited by Brandy333
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Desertrat56

This story upsets me because of the wording "the whites did not want to share the land..."  as if it was theirs to begin with!   No, they took it and chased the original inhabitants out, just like the europeans did all over the americas.  I hope that curse is real, though I don't believe any curse works unless the cursed person believes it will.   

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
the13bats
2 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

I don't believe any curse works unless the cursed person believes it will

You know long ish story but i knew of a fellow who wrecked his car and firmly believe that i had put a hex on him, he was so messed up over it nothing helped soothe him i had to make up a fictional cure for him, very weird fellow.

Edited to cleaify

Edited by the13bats
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brandy333
7 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

 This story upsets me because of the wording "the whites did not want to share the land..."  as if it was theirs to begin with!   No, they took it and chased the original inhabitants out, just like the europeans did all over the americas.  I hope that curse is real, though I don't believe any curse works unless the cursed person believes it will.   

I remember way back in school we were taught when the whites first started coming to America the Native Americans already here were friendly and tried to teach the whites how to cultivate the land.   However, maybe not all but the whites turned hostile and the Native Americans turned hostile in response and the rest is history.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
10 hours ago, Brandy333 said:

I remember way back in school we were taught when the whites first started coming to America the Native Americans already here were friendly and tried to teach the whites how to cultivate the land.   However, maybe not all but the whites turned hostile and the Native Americans turned hostile in response and the rest is history.

I am so old that state history was not in the curriculum in grade school but the school I went to in a tiny village had 40 year old text books and the first 3 chapters in the 2cnd grade history book was about the pilgrims and the war of independence.  The 4th chapter was about the "hero" Custer and we were not allowed to read that chapter,  I peaked to see what it was when the teacher forbid it.  I was caught so everyone had to pass their books up and the rest of the year we got New Mexico history and the history of the Spaniards invasion of the Americas, After she spent 30  minutes explaining why Custer was not a hero.   Our teacher's ancestors were native and spanish, she never spoke english until she went to school in 4th grade because the village she grew up in (just over the mountain from our village) was too remote.   Everyone in her family was educated and she read and wrote Spanish until she got to go to school.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
godnodog

at this point its only a quesion of time the Moon and Mars become hunted as well

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stereologist

True story about Yosemite. Back in the 1980s I was climbing there. Did a combination of Royal Arches and North Dome one day. Long day. Started at 4AM and got back at midnight. Lots of photos in the link.

https://www.mountainproject.com/route/105862881/royal-arches

Hungry and we all ate dinner. Got to bed by 1 or 2. But we are woken at 6am or a bit earlier by rangers who are questioning parties about a missing group of climbers. Turns out they did the climb and started close to our start time but had not returned. I told them we saw and heard nothing on the descent but had completed the first climb, Royal Arches, in 3 hours. So we had not noticed anyone since we were way out front on the climb that day. 

Soon we see lots of activity. There are rescue people all over the place looking for the missing climbers. We had descended North Dome gully without headlamps using Moonlight to illuminate the way. We had done it before and were confident on getting down. Had told the rangers there was no sound and no lights. Parties have taken the wrong way and gotten lost and have had trouble getting down.

After a day of searching not a trace is found of the 3 missing climbers. The next day activity is ramped up as helicopters bring in gear to the climb top and ropes are lowered to allow rescue to search way off the normal route to look for climbers. This is day two of 3 missing people. We were all interviewed again along with all other people that they could talk to that did the climb the same day.

Day 3 the woods have been searched. The cliffs have been searched. No climbers. No gear. Nothing. More people have done the route and descended and nothing is found. 

We were all baffled. Rescue was baffled but 3 people managed to disappear into thin air without a trace.

And for those wondering they had not left. Their car was still  in the parking lot. Their tent and camping gear was still in the campground. Just the 3 climbers and their gear had vanished.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brandy333
12 hours ago, stereologist said:

True story about Yosemite. Back in the 1980s I was climbing there. Did a combination of Royal Arches and North Dome one day. Long day. Started at 4AM and got back at midnight. Lots of photos in the link.

https://www.mountainproject.com/route/105862881/royal-arches

Hungry and we all ate dinner. Got to bed by 1 or 2. But we are woken at 6am or a bit earlier by rangers who are questioning parties about a missing group of climbers. Turns out they did the climb and started close to our start time but had not returned. I told them we saw and heard nothing on the descent but had completed the first climb, Royal Arches, in 3 hours. So we had not noticed anyone since we were way out front on the climb that day. 

Soon we see lots of activity. There are rescue people all over the place looking for the missing climbers. We had descended North Dome gully without headlamps using Moonlight to illuminate the way. We had done it before and were confident on getting down. Had told the rangers there was no sound and no lights. Parties have taken the wrong way and gotten lost and have had trouble getting down.

After a day of searching not a trace is found of the 3 missing climbers. The next day activity is ramped up as helicopters bring in gear to the climb top and ropes are lowered to allow rescue to search way off the normal route to look for climbers. This is day two of 3 missing people. We were all interviewed again along with all other people that they could talk to that did the climb the same day.

Day 3 the woods have been searched. The cliffs have been searched. No climbers. No gear. Nothing. More people have done the route and descended and nothing is found. 

We were all baffled. Rescue was baffled but 3 people managed to disappear into thin air without a trace.

And for those wondering they had not left. Their car was still  in the parking lot. Their tent and camping gear was still in the campground. Just the 3 climbers and their gear had vanished.

Whew, that's spooky.   Were they not ever found?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stereologist
27 minutes ago, Brandy333 said:

Whew, that's spooky.   Were they not ever found?

Did I pull one of those stupid TV show presentations?

Yes I did. As a TV announcer used to say: and now for the rest of the story.

What happened is beyond sound reasoning in my opinion. I've been on huge cliffs. Slept up there. Been on mountains where I thought I was done in but the epic adventure of these 3 is mind boggling.

I drew on a topo map 2 lines. The black line is the rough hike they took over 3 days. I am guessing from where they started and where they ended up. The brown line is a trail they crossed. They somehow walked a long way across difficult ground without food or overnight gear for 3 days. The bulk of the time they have to be aware of all of the helicopter they are leaving far behind them. Half dome and clouds rest are easily visible for great distances. And half dome has to be receding as they walk away from it. Three days later they come out on the road near Tenaya Lake. No food but plenty of water.  Remember that they are hemmed in on the right by cliffs. Watkins I think is the second highest cliff in Yosemite. Not sure how they walked past a prominent trail. Maybe they were walking into the night. At least their adventure had a happy ending.

Anyways, I just thought I would have some fun by not telling the whole story. I remember back then having a beer by the campsite wondering where these 3 could have gone to.

yosemite epic hike map.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tortugabob

The native Americans probably didn't live in Yosemite at all.  The elevation is fairly  high so  the winter snows would

have been impossible to deal with.  They might have hunted there in the Summer but most years you can't even get into the area until late June.

Within the last week Mammoth Lake ski area which is less that 30 miles away got almost 10 feet (not inches 10 feet of snow) in one dump.

Mammoth is at roughly 7,700 feet up.  Many areas of Yosemite are at this elevation.  People do stupid stuff in Yosemite.

They get lost and ignore signs that clearly tell them to stay away from steep drop-offs.  They want selfies

in very dangerous places.   Sorry but you can't blame everything on the white man except some of them are stupid.

Edited by tortugabob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
preacherman76
On 12/29/2020 at 3:29 PM, Desertrat56 said:

This story upsets me because of the wording "the whites did not want to share the land..."  as if it was theirs to begin with!   No, they took it and chased the original inhabitants out, just like the europeans did all over the americas.  I hope that curse is real, though I don't believe any curse works unless the cursed person believes it will.   

It’s nothing the many native tribes didn’t do to each other. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
1 hour ago, preacherman76 said:

It’s nothing the many native tribes didn’t do to each other. 

Right, illogical justification.   It doesn't matter what you think the native tribes did to each other.   Your comment indicates you are offended by what I said.   So now we have both chosen to be offended over something that happened a long time ago when we weren't around.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
preacherman76
1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

Right, illogical justification.   It doesn't matter what you think the native tribes did to each other.   Your comment indicates you are offended by what I said.   So now we have both chosen to be offended over something that happened a long time ago when we weren't around.

I’m not offended in the least. You didn’t say anything that was offensive, or untrue. I was just pointing out that’s what folks did back then. Heck in many areas of the world, it still takes place. 
 

I just don’t get why people only seem to get mad at the white folks who did it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
12 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

I’m not offended in the least. You didn’t say anything that was offensive, or untrue. I was just pointing out that’s what folks did back then. Heck in many areas of the world, it still takes place. 
 

I just don’t get why people only seem to get mad at the white folks who did it. 

People don't just "get mad at the white folks".  I know the romans did the same thing in briton, scottland and ireland, and in south america there were wars between the Aztecs and everyone else.  My original point was that the wording of "the whites did not want to share the land" was a distortion of what actually was going on.  The whites chased the people from their land and then of course after taking it away they did not want to share it.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.