Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Image of God

Will Due

Wisdom of Solomon 2:23: For God created man to be immortal, and made him to be an image of his own eternity.

Having started out living, being made as an "image" of God, I think there's an accompaniment to our creation that's the most significant thing of all.

That's the part of ourselves (imagining the perfection of God) that we make ourselves into. Better said, grow into.

Dare I say, it's simply as easy as "imagining" what the perfection of God really is. And seeking it for ourselves.

"Imagining" what the perfection of God really is, isn't so hard to do, if you will but remove the influence of others and depend solely on yourself.

"Be you perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect" is not an unreasonable request.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Will Do said:

"Be you perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect"

I think the only way that can be achieved is to think and act correctly about everything.  You would almost have to overcome your own brain chemistry to do that and I'm not sure that's possible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I think the only way that can be achieved is to think and act correctly about everything.  You would almost have to overcome your own brain chemistry to do that and I'm not sure that's possible.

Well this is my thought about it.

If it's true that it's impossible to act correctly every time as a mere mortal, then Jesus wouldn't have been able to fulfill the Father's will to His satisfaction. 

Which is why it exists in my opinion, that when it comes to being perfect in our realm even as God is perfect in his realm, that we have something to follow. Which makes it all much easier.

Edited by Will Do

2 minutes ago, Will Do said:

Well this is my thought about it.

If it's true that it's impossible to act correctly every time as a mere mortal, then Jesus wouldn't have been able to fulfill the Father's will to His satisfaction. 

Which is why it exists in my opinion, that when it comes to being perfect in our realm even as God is perfect in his realm, that we have something to follow. Which makes it all much easier.

What comes to my mind is my schizophrenic uncle.  There were times when, through absolutely no fault of his own, he was incapable of perceiving the world as most of us do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, OverSword said:

What comes to my mind is my schizophrenic uncle.  There were times when, through absolutely no fault of his own, he was incapable of perceiving the world as most of us do.

Funny. That's what they said about Jesus too. :D

But that didn't stop him. Not even unto death. :tu:

43 minutes ago, OverSword said:

OR maybe it means "your Father in heaven" is not perfect, or only as perfect as you are or whomever that was written for.   It is a fragment of a sentence, so no telling what the actual context is and I don't feel energetic enough to look it up.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Will Do said:

Having started out living, being made as an "image" of God, I think there's an accompaniment to our creation that's the most significant thing of all.

That's the part of ourselves (imagining the perfection of God) that we make ourselves into. Better said, grow into.

Dare I say, it's simply as easy as "imagining" what the perfection of God really is. And seeking it for ourselves.

"Imagining" what the perfection of God really is, isn't so hard to do, if you will but remove the influence of others and depend solely on yourself.

"Be you perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect" is not an unreasonable request.

So, you believe in a program of self-improvement then?  That’s good.  I buy into it - but the idea that a man can be perfect is foolishness, IMO..

Proverbs 28:21 - To show partiality is not good, because for a piece of bread a man will transgress.”

1 hour ago, Will Do said:

How does one imagine what the perfection of God is?  How do we define what perfection is? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, TashaMarie said:

How does one imagine what the perfection of God is?  

The same way anything about God is imagined I suppose.

50 minutes ago, TashaMarie said:

How do we define what perfection is? 

That might be the best question one can ask oneself.

Because since a part of the source of perfection teaching all of us is living within, getting answers to those kinds of questions is certainly not impossible. 

Edited by Will Do
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

OR maybe it means "your Father in heaven" is not perfect, or only as perfect as you are or whomever that was written for.   It is a fragment of a sentence, so no telling what the actual context is and I don't feel energetic enough to look it up.

I tell you what, I'll look it up for you in my favorite place. I'm pretty sure for that reason alone you won't read it but maybe others will. The context is definitely important, so here goes:

Spoiler

And then Jesus went on to instruct his followers in the realization of the chief purpose of all human struggling—perfection—even divine attainment. Always he admonished them: “Be you perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect.” He did not exhort the twelve to love their neighbors as they loved themselves. That would have been a worthy achievement; it would have indicated the achievement of brotherly love. He rather admonished his apostles to love men as he had loved them—to love with a fatherly as well as a brotherly affection. And he illustrated this by pointing out four supreme reactions of fatherly love:

Spoiler

1. “Happy are they who mourn, for they shall be comforted.” So-called common sense or the best of logic would never suggest that happiness could be derived from mourning. But Jesus did not refer to outward or ostentatious mourning. He alluded to an emotional attitude of tenderheartedness. It is a great error to teach boys and young men that it is unmanly to show tenderness or otherwise to give evidence of emotional feeling or physical suffering. Sympathy is a worthy attribute of the male as well as the female. It is not necessary to be calloused in order to be manly. This is the wrong way to create courageous men. The world’s great men have not been afraid to mourn. Moses, the mourner, was a greater man than either Samson or Goliath. Moses was a superb leader, but he was also a man of meekness. Being sensitive and responsive to human need creates genuine and lasting happiness, while such kindly attitudes safeguard the soul from the destructive influences of anger, hate, and suspicion.

140:5.17

2. “Happy are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.” Mercy here denotes the height and depth and breadth of the truest friendship—loving-kindness. Mercy sometimes may be passive, but here it is active and dynamic—supreme fatherliness. A loving parent experiences little difficulty in forgiving his child, even many times. And in an unspoiled child the urge to relieve suffering is natural. Children are normally kind and sympathetic when old enough to appreciate actual conditions.

140:5.18

3. “Happy are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the sons of God.” Jesus’ hearers were longing for military deliverance, not for peacemakers. But Jesus’ peace is not of the pacific and negative kind. In the face of trials and persecutions he said, “My peace I leave with you.” “Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” This is the peace that prevents ruinous conflicts. Personal peace integrates personality. Social peace prevents fear, greed, and anger. Political peace prevents race antagonisms, national suspicions, and war. Peacemaking is the cure of distrust and suspicion.

140:5.19

Children can easily be taught to function as peacemakers. They enjoy team activities; they like to play together. Said the Master at another time: “Whosoever will save his life shall lose it, but whosoever will lose his life shall find it.”

140:5.20

4. “Happy are they who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Happy are you when men shall revile you and persecute you and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven.”

140:5.21

So often persecution does follow peace. But young people and brave adults never shun difficulty or danger. “Greater love has no man than to lay down his life for his friends.” And a fatherly love can freely do all these things—things which brotherly love can hardly encompass. And progress has always been the final harvest of persecution.

140:5.22

Children always respond to the challenge of courage. Youth is ever willing to “take a dare.” And every child should early learn to sacrifice.

140:5.23

And so it is revealed that the beatitudes of the Sermon on the Mount are based on faith and love and not on law—ethics and duty.

140:5.24

Fatherly love delights in returning good for evil—doing good in retaliation for injustice.

Edited by Will Do

Sorry I just fail to see any kind of perfection in God. He made an imperfect world and a totally screwed up humanity. That tells a lot about him.

If he had existed...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We cannot be perfect. Even individually. You can strive to be the best you can,because you're not not perfect, and know it. The soul is perfect, but the body is not. Earth is a learning place. Learning means making mistakes to learn from them. All we can do is strive to be better. It makes the trip a lot shorter, and much more enjoyable. Truth.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, zep73 said:

Sorry I just fail to see any kind of perfection in God. He made an imperfect world and a totally screwed up humanity. That tells a lot about him.

If he had existed...

The world is perfect, it's we who are not. If we were perfect, we would live in harmony with others, and the earth as a whole.

We are here to learn. Period.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Will Do said:

There is another way to view that scripture: “Be perfect in the same way as your Father in heaven is perfect.” I don’t believe God is a tyrannical perfectionist. If He was, then He would’ve struck down David after his affair with Bathsheba, or Peter when he denied knowing Jesus three times in the Temple courtyard. Instead, He forgave them, and David and Peter went on to bigger and better things.
So, does being “perfect” mean I don’t leave any streaks when I wash my windows, or am I perfect when I offer forgiveness and respect to the people around me?

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

We cannot be perfect. 

Jesus proved otherwise.

You can strive to be the best you can,because you're not not perfect, and know it. 

That's not a perfect sentence. :P

The soul is perfect

Nothing is automatic

but the body is not. 

Ever hear of Jane Mansfield?

Earth is a learning place. 

In reality, there isn't much else the Earth's for, I suppose.

Learning means making mistakes to learn from them. 

It's perfect making mistakes. So long the same mistakes are not being continuously repeated. It took me a while to get the hang of that. But I'm learning still.

All we can do is strive to be better. 

A lot of people have been wearing red hats with those exact words printed on them lately. :lol:

It makes the trip a lot shorter, and much more enjoyable.

When time vanishes, that's when you know there really is such a thing as perfection.

Truth.

Now you're talkin :D

Edited by Will Do

9 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

The world is perfect

Yeah, for suffering. It has always been a 'kill or be killed' world. But it is pretty.

1 minute ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

How?

Lol.

If I knew, I'd have already been taken up in a "Chariot of Fire".

2 minutes ago, zep73 said:

But it is pretty.

That's quite the understatement :)

3 minutes ago, Will Do said:

Lol.

If I knew, I'd have already been taken up in a "Chariot of Fire".

So you don't know if Jesus proved that we can be perfect, or not.

14 minutes ago, zep73 said:

Yeah, for suffering. It has always been a 'kill or be killed' world. But it is pretty.

I suggest you start with philosophy. Plato is a good start, but just a start. Tell me, are you afraid of dying? If you are, it's because you dont know. Fear of the unknown. How do we as humans overcome the unknown? By studying it. Disecting it, and finding how it ticks. In other words, knowledge. It took me over a year of studying to find my answer. Now I am content with my imminent demise. As I said earlier, no more fear, only anticipation, and impatience. And a butt load of peace thrown in.

Hank

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hankenhunter said:

I suggest you start with philosophy. Plato is a good start, but just a start. Tell me, are you afraid of dying? If you are, it's because you dont know. Fear of the unknown. How do we as humans overcome the unknown? By studying it. Disecting it, and finding how it ticks. In other words, knowledge. It took me over a year of studying to find my answer. Now I am content with my imminent demise. As I said earlier, no more fear, only anticipation, and impatience. And a butt load of peace thrown in.

Hank

Not afraid of dying. Afraid of wasting my life. This is all there is. Use it wisely,

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, zep73 said:

Not afraid of dying. Afraid of wasting my life. This is all there is. Use it wisely,

Just remember that time is something we invented. There is so much more if you're willing to look. Learning is never a waste of time. Btw, experiencing is never a waste of time, because you usually learn something from it. Good or bad, you still learn, and others learn through you, and vise versa. We're all connected to each other.

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

Just remember that time is something we invented. There is so much more if you're willing to look. Learning is never a waste of time.

Time is what separates events, so we don't have WW2 and the corona-pandemic all at once.

What more there is, is a matter of perception for each individual. Learning can be a waste of time if you miss the point of the lesson.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, zep73 said:

Truer words were never spoken. But it's more than that. Cause, and effect plays into it in a massive way.

• Thanks 1

• The topic was locked