Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Image of God

Will Due

2 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

You are so right, yet so very wrong at the same time. Try religion without the religion. See through all the tripe thats in the bible for what it is. All the garbage that is organized religious. But, there are truths in it too. You just have to be ready to recognize them. 

I have actually read the bible and yes it does contain obvious everyday good deeds and messages of sharing is caring etc. That comes down to humans being nice not relying on a story in full to set their destiny and those around them. 

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

You are so right, yet so very wrong at the same time. Try religion without the religion. See through all the tripe thats in the bible for what it is. All the garbage that is organized religious. But, there are truths in it too. You just have to be ready to recognize them. 

I agree here, definitely.

If you strip all of the religion away you get moral platitudes that essentially allowed for us to live together in peace, for thousands (millions, even) of years BCE.

The books in the bible just sex it up to make the dogma more convincing for the gullible. IMO.

Edited by Nuclear Wessel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, To do list said:

Religious god types are a lot like politicians far to many floating about. With similar blind followers.

They truly are. There is no God to them. Their god is greed, money, and power over others. The followers are lost souls searching, but on the wrong path.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Will Do said:

Having started out living, being made as an "image" of God, I think there's an accompaniment to our creation that's the most significant thing of all.

That's the part of ourselves (imagining the perfection of God) that we make ourselves into. Better said, grow into.

Dare I say, it's simply as easy as "imagining" what the perfection of God really is. And seeking it for ourselves.

"Imagining" what the perfection of God really is, isn't so hard to do, if you will but remove the influence of others and depend solely on yourself.

"Be you perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect" is not an unreasonable request.

Hi Will

Never have had a compulsion to be perfect or look for it and am quite content to be a reliable, decent human in a world of humans with various beliefs different than mine and tend to manage quite well imperfect as I am.

jmccr8

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, To do list said:

I have actually read the bible and yes it does contain obvious everyday good deeds and messages of sharing is caring etc. That comes down to humans being nice not relying on a story in full to set their destiny and those around them. 

Ding, ding! We have winner. Very astute observation. The bible was ment to be a guide book. But humans being humans, some greedy people rearranged it to cash in on the power it represented over others. Think induced guilt. And their power over people to bring absolution of their sins if they just do what they're  told to, what to believe, and above all? Don't argue it, or you get tossed as a heretic. Shunned by the community. So what choice did they have, but to follow along. 

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

The bible was ment to be a guide book.

I say it's a form of mass influence/ control created by a small group of very clever people at the time..

I'd suggest the modern-day equivalent is the media

• Like 1

So all this religious skepticism is well founded but what is it at its core that's surrounded by falsehood that's really true?

Nothing?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

I say it's a form of mass influence/ control created by a small group of very clever people at the time..

I'd suggest the modern-day equivalent is the media

And you'd be mostly right, but a little wrong. In the beginning, like most small endeavors, it was started altruisticly. Perhaps even a gift from god. But, once attention was brought to it, it begins to grow. People threw money at it to help the movement grow. That was where it fell apart. Once someone, without any morals, but lots of ambition decided he wanted this because he could see to potential of it all. Just have to change the wording a bit, then add a whole lot of programming to it. It's human nature to want what others have, or to have, want more power. That dang old saying keeps coming up. "Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. The best examples of this are major organised religions.

If you really want the truth, you have to go it alone. You have to find it yourself. As I said before, you will know the truth when you see it. Look for the evidence.  It's there. I found it. If a 60 year old man with limited computer skills can find it, anyone can. Truths, and enough proof to satisfy anyone. But I can't tell you. That my frustrating part. I have to keep silent , cause it's your journey, not mine. Only you can see, and feel the truths that you need to see. All I can say is that it's worth the effort. Keep your goal in mind as you search. Things will jump out at you demanding attention. Those are the ones that need special attention. The others just help complete the puzzle. At least, that's how it was for me. I gave a hint earlier. I shouldn't have. It may send you off in the wrong direction for you. so please ignore it. I get a little too helpful sometimes, and need to rein myself in. There are many others who've taken the same journey for the same reason I did. They just dont speak about it because of ridicule from people who arent ready to make the journey. But they sure are easy to spot, if you know what your looking for. Me? Water off a ducks back. Ridicule is what ignorant people do when they dont understand. Why should that bother me? Its their problem, not mine. Anyhoo, if anyone wants to chat further, p.m me. I'm hogging the thread. Bad form. :P

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Will Do said:

So all this religious skepticism is well founded but what is it at its core that's surrounded by falsehood that's really true?

Nothing?

nope, don't understand that

2 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

Ridicule is what ignorant people do when they dont understand

Ridicule is what intelligent individuals are compelled to do when faced with BS= In My Opinion

37 minutes ago, Will Do said:

Nothing?

If i told you, would you be ready to accept it? Or would you close your mind to it, fear it, then ignore it. Would you take my words, and research it yourself, with an open mind? That's the rub. I had no help in my search. My skepticism wouldn't let me. My ego wouldn't let me. It had to be on my own. So, are you ready? That's the big question. Its a huge paradigm shift that will never, ever stop. Right to the day you die, and beyond. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

You have to find it yourself. 

You hog the thread all you want Hank. You and I are supposed to be on opposite sides of the debate, based on the political boards but surprise surprise, over here we're truly brothers in arms lol.

16 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

If i told you, would you be ready to accept it? Or would you close your mind to it, fear it, then ignore it. Would you take my words, and research it yourself, with an open mind? That's the rub. I had no help in my search. My skepticism wouldn't let me. My ego wouldn't let me. It had to be on my own. So, are you ready? That's the big question. Its a huge paradigm shift that will never, ever stop. Right to the day you die, and beyond. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Sounds like you've found the same thing I found. And you're right. The big question is: Are you who haven't started, ready to begin looking? Because right again, there isn't any other way. :tu:

Btw now I understand better why you were so relentless about what you were relentless about, over there.

Edited by Will Do
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

Ridicule is what intelligent individuals are compelled to do when faced with BS= In My Opinion

Thank you. Again, youre so right,  but so wrong. I can see that you aren't ready for your journey. The funny thing is that you are on a journey, but don't know it yet. Tell me, are you going to fight death til the bitter end? Clawing, and scratching for one more breath? Or are you going to accept it gracefully, and calmly. Think hard because your decision has consequences. Cause, and effect. The bad scenario causes grief, and heartbreak. The good scenario allows easier closer for all the family involved in your death. It becomes a celebration of life, and the promise of more to come. You have to see it to believe it. And thats a tell, a hint I can give. Go to the place where it all ends. Where your life ends. What better place to start? Then it all starts falling into place. Not you dying, but the people who help you, ease you on your way with as little fear as possible. Because it's not any worse than anything you've endured before. And you have endured worse. Research the hospice nurses, and carers. After all, what good reason would one of these wonderful people have to lie? To make you feel better? No, because the real truth is infinitely better.

Fair winds on your journey.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Will Do said:

You hog the thread all you want Hank. You and I are supposed to be on opposite sides of the debate, based on the political boards but surprise surprise, over here we're truly brothers in arms lol.

Sounds like you've found the same thing I found. And you're right. The big question is: Are you who haven't started, ready to begin looking? Because right again, there isn't any other way. :tu:

Btw now I understand better why you were so relentless about what you were relentless about, over there.

That's quite possibly the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me. I thank you for that, and am truly greatful. Yes, I did get a little carried away on the pol tab, sometimes. No more. I did what I was supposed to do. I no longer feel the compulsion to do battle there anymore. The threat is slowly winding down. So, Im off the hook.  Thank god. It was the longest 4 years of my life. I'm officially retiring to the more gentle sections of U.M. Thinking of starting a philosophy thought experiment. Could be fun, could be a disaster. I'm hoping for thought provoking. Cheers

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

what am i right about?

The first part of your sentence. The rest, not so much.:D

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Will Do said:

Btw, congrats on your milestone. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hankenhunter said:

Btw, congrats on your milestone. 

Well thanks but I'm not sure. Did you mean milestone or millstone? :lol:

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Will Do said:

Well thanks but I'm not sure. Did you mean milestone or millstone? :lol:

:lol: I have to admit there was a few times in the pol tab....but that's water under the bridge my brother. I know you are a good man at heart. As to the milestone? That was real. As real as it gets. IFYKWIMAITYD.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

IFYKWIMAITYD.

Amen bro mum's the word :D :tu:

14 hours ago, OverSword said:

I think the only way that can be achieved is to think and act correctly about everything.  You would almost have to overcome your own brain chemistry to do that and I'm not sure that's possible.

Perhaps not entirely, all the time, but of course, it is possible for most of the time. 

We don't just act on impulse or we would all be in gaol or dead.  Once we know what is the constructive thing to do its just a matter of  will and discipline 

Its not our brain chemistry which makes us act in destructive ways  Its a choice  Sometimes it is to gain something we want, despite the consequences Sometimes  it is just risk taking behaviour to gain some perceived advantage  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Perhaps not entirely, all the time, but of course, it is possible for most of the time. 

We don't just act on impulse or we would all be in gaol or dead.  Once we know what is the constructive thing to do its just a matter of  will and discipline 

Its not our brain chemistry which makes us act in destructive ways  Its a choice  Sometimes it is to gain something we want, despite the consequences Sometimes  it is just risk taking behaviour to gain some perceived advantage  

Brain chemistry can be unbalanced and cause hallucinations and other things which can make it impossible for some individuals to have that discipline or control impulses.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Brain chemistry can be unbalanced and cause hallucinations and other things which can make it impossible for some individuals to have that discipline or control impulses.

True, But rare. Those people are generally in institutions   (Gaols or hospitals)  because they are not safe in a community  

A "normal" functioning brain has the impulse control to control behaviour, IF it is applied  (and that's a matter of choice) 

The law recognises and enforces this principle, unless a person is classified as having  a severe mental illness.

You or i for example could control, monitor, and regulate, all aspects of our behaviours, if we worked hard enough at it.

There are no external factors which can compel us to any behaviour,  and unless we are not mentally well, there are no internal factors which can do this, either.

Where brain function is important is in neural patterning or habitual behaviour

. The brain finds it easier to follow established neural pathways,  than to establish new ones Thus it is hard to break an old habit and to adopt new behaviours.

Once adopted and practiced, however, those new behaviours become the  pattern and habit

Edited by Mr Walker

5 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

True, But rare. Those people are generally in institutions 

Not true. Plenty of schizophrenic people are medicated and out in society. Most of them are not institutionalized or dangerous 

Edited by OverSword

15 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Not true. Plenty of schizophrenic people are medicated and out in society. Most of them are not institutionalized or dangerous 

You were talking about those who could NOT control their behaviours 

Those on medication or other treatments CAN control their behaviours (at least to the point where the y are not dangerous )

I was responding to your comment about people who  cannot control their impulses 

In America the percentage of the population with a severe mental illness (which still may not be dangerous to others) is around 5% 

In Australia the percentage is about 2 to3% 

Mental disorders can vary in severity and be episodic or persistent in nature. A recent review estimated that 2–3% of Australians (about 615,000 people based on the estimated 2017 population) have a severe mental disorder, as judged by diagnosis, intensity and duration of symptoms, and degree of disability caused (DoHA 2013). This group is not confined to those with psychotic disorders and it also includes people with severe and disabling forms of depression and anxiety.

A while back  the percentage of people in Australia with a psychotic illness equated to 5 cases per 1,000 population or 0.5% of the population (Morgan et al. 2011). The survey found the most frequently recorded of these disorders was Schizophrenia which accounted for almost half of all diagnoses (47.0%). 

https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/mental-health-services/mental-health-services-in-australia/report-contents/summary-of-mental-health-services-in-australia/prevalence-impact-and-burden

Hence why i call it rare.  

Edited by Mr Walker

• The topic was locked