Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Sportmix pet food recalled after 28 dogs die

Eldorado

The FDA is cautioning pet owners and veterinary professionals to avoid certain Sportmix pet food products after dozens of dogs fell ill and died after ingesting the products.

Midwestern Pet Foods Inc. recalled four different lots of dry cat and dog pet food Wednesday after an investigation revealed that some of the products contained potentially fatal levels of aflatoxin.

The mold byproduct, which "can cause illness and death in pets" at high levels, may still be on store shelves, online or in pet owners’ homes, the agency said in a notice.

Full report at Fox news: Link

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 6

CrimsonKing

Damn...this is the second major case of this in the last 4 months!

Talk about a major need for quality control!

• Like 3

Eldorado

70 pets now dead....

As of January 11, 2021, FDA is aware of more than 70 pets that have died and more than 80 pets that are sick after eating Sportmix pet food. Not all of these cases have been officially confirmed as aflatoxin poisoning through laboratory testing or veterinary record review. This count is approximate and may not reflect the total number of pets affected.

This is an ongoing investigation. Case counts and the scope of this recall may expand as new information becomes available.

US FDA

Brandy333

Whenever I had dogs and cats, or even livestock, I always stuck with brands I knew and that were well known.   Never heard of Sportmix.   Some of these pet foods are coming out of China, and that's why it's important to look at the label to see where the food is manufactured, not just where it's packaged.   Same with pet snacks,  because it could be made in another country but packaged in the US.   If it don't say made in the US, I'd think twice about purchasing it.   Best to stick with well-known brands.