Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Physicists project magnetic field remotely

Desertrat56

"In 1842, mathematician and physicist Samuel Earnshaw laid out a theorem that states that it’s impossible to project a magnetic field into empty space: any magnetic field found in nature will always be centered on the physical object that’s producing it. But a team of scientists set about theorizing how one could circumvent this commonly-held truth, in order to project—or cancel out—a magnetic field from a distance."

https://www.space.com/magnetic-fields-created-from-afar

https://www.economist.com/science-and-technology/2020/11/05/can-you-generate-a-magnetic-field-remotely

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting this Desert.   I can't spare the data right now to open it...so I expect everyone to explain it to me and discuss the topic at length.   :D

Magnetism has always completely fascinated me.

..and, Samuel Earnshaw stated that is is impossible to project a magnetic field into empty space..... Hm,  I'm starting to wonder if  EMPTY space is even possible.       What  is Space ?   Ihaveto fall back on my own Theorum .. (lightly's law).  ,which states . . ." Ain't no such thing..as nuthin. ". :P

Edited by lightly
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, lightly said:

Thanks for posting this Desert.   I can't spare the data right now to open it...so I expect everyone to explain it to me and discuss the topic at length.   :D

Magnetism has always completely fascinated me.

I thought @OverSword got a good idea of where this could lead.  

Here is the first part of the article:

"Scientists have figured out a way to create and cancel magnetic fields from afar. 

The method involves running electric current through a special arrangement of wires to create a magnetic field that looks as if it came from another source. This illusion has real applications: Imagine a cancer drug that could be delivered directly to a tumor deep in the body by capsules made of magnetic nanoparticles. It's not possible to stick a magnet in the tumor to guide the nanoparticles on their journey, but if you could create a magnetic field from outside the body that centered right on that tumor, you could deliver the drug without an invasive procedure. 

The strength of a magnetic field decreases with distance from the magnet, and a theorem proven in 1842, Earnshaw's Theorem, says that it's not possible to create a spot of maximum magnetic field strength in empty space.

"If you cannot have a magnetic field maxima in empty space, it means you cannot create the field of a magnetic source remotely, without placing an actual [magnetic] source at the target location," said Rosa Mach-Batlle, a physicist at the Istituto Italiano Di Tecnologia Center for Biomolecular Nanotechnologies in Italy who led the new research. "

• Like 1

Hmm,.   Thanks a lot for that Desert.      ..and OverSword .

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1