Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Record setting barometric pressure in Alaska

Desertrat56

"

A large storm in the Pacific Ocean struck Alaska’s Aleutian Islands has setting a record as the lowest land-based pressure reading ever measured in the state.  This was recorded at 921mbar just after midnight on December 31, 2020. The storm was part of a set of extreme weather conditions spanning Northern Asia and the Pacific Ocean also triggering extreme cold, and high barometric pressure in parts of Siberia.

This series of weather extremes are likely the product of intensely cold air from the Arctic spilling down into Siberia, plus the advection of heat from warm Pacific tropical air, intersected by an extremely powerful 400 km/h (250 mph) jet stream.

These combined factors resulted in no less than three storms raging across the Northern Pacific on New Year’s Eve, with the westernmost of the trio walloping the central Japanese town of Minakami with over 2 meters (5.6 feet) of snow in 72 hours (to be fair, the region is extremely snowy, seeing an average of 10 meters (32.8 feet) of snow annually), and causing the temperature in Horokanai in Northern Japan to drop to -32.6°C (-26.7°F)."

https://www.severe-weather.eu/global-weather/record-extratropical-storm-bomb-cyclone-alaska-pacific-mk/

https://www.unknowncountry.com/headline-news/record-setting-barometric-pressure-in-alaska-and-siberia-trigger-massive-storms-extreme-cold/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I read this, I have to think of a book (fiction) written by John Gribbin, "The Sixth Winter".

Edit:

Link to reviews

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

When I read this, I have to think of a book (fiction) written by John Gribbin, "The Sixth Winter".

I did not find a book by that name, but John Gribbin wrote one called Iceage.  He wrote a book called Six Impossible Things

On 1/5/2021 at 8:29 PM, RoofGardener said:

And so I thought: let's read it again.

I have the Dutch edition, and read it many years ago. But damn, I can't find the book anywhere.

I will try to find a pdf. Or if anyone has a link to such a pdf, I hope you'll post it here.

Thanks in advance.