Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Puma of Pontybodkin' big cat spotted again

Eldorado

A mystery big cat has been spotted stalking the Welsh hills - after multiple 'puma' sightings in the past few weeks.

A 'labrador-sized' cat dubbed the 'Puma of Pontybodkin' was reported walking along a road on New Year's Eve just days after a similar animal dashed across a field.

There have been a series of reports made to the Puma Watch North Wales group since November - with apparent sightings across the area.

Daily Mail report via MSN: Link

Earlier sighting report with video at Leader Live: Link

And another one at the Whitechurch Herald Link

Edited by Eldorado

Sorry, but apparently I am missing the mystery.

This is not about something like Bigfoot, Nessie, or the Kraken.

This is about pets set free.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

There was not a rare black fox that escaped south of Welsh lately ? Was sure to see big cat sighting after that... sighting a little to far north tho.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2021 at 6:13 PM, Nobu said:

I’ll be interested to see if it’s really a puma or a common cat lineage gone feral. Ready for some DNA!

On the video, it's so short legged, probably a cat.

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And here we go with another 'Beast of Bont'. Everywhere round here with a bridge has to have its own to keep up with the ******** who live by the next bridge. 

Edited by oldrover
  • Haha 4

A BIG cat sighting near Ellesmere Port has been reported just days after a similar encounter near Chester.

The witness saw a “large but slender” black big cat “with a long tail that it carried quite high” at Ince Marshes, close to Ellesmere Port’s Stanlow oil refinery, as he was on his way to work.

The Chester Standard

• Like 2

On 1/15/2021 at 3:10 PM, Eldorado said:

A BIG cat sighting near Ellesmere Port has been reported just days after a similar encounter near Chester.

The witness saw a “large but slender” black big cat “with a long tail that it carried quite high” at Ince Marshes, close to Ellesmere Port’s Stanlow oil refinery, as he was on his way to work.

The Chester Standard

that's a dog track picture...

Distinguishing coyote, dog, fox, and cat tracks in the snow. | Fox tracks  in snow, Coyote tracks, Animal tracks

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 3

Ok so what? Big cats are coming back to the lands they have once roamed free... what is the deal ?

On 1/8/2021 at 2:05 AM, Jon the frog said:

There was not a rare black fox that escaped south of Welsh lately ? Was sure to see big cat sighting after that... sighting a little to far north tho.

That in was in Cornwall/Devon or Somerset, the fox has already returned home :)

• Like 1

The last big cat report posted here, was... well, just a big cat.

I suspect this is much the same. Persepective sometimes makes things look bigger then they are. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/1/2021 at 7:37 PM, Eldorado said:

Todmorden fears as 'mysterious big cat leapt over wall' in front of dog walker

People told to be on lookout for black jaguar or panther-like creature after spate of sightings

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/todmorden-fears-mysterious-big-cat-19744871

Todmorden has claimed more than its fair share of strange over the years, isn't that where or near to where that chap Adamski was found dead? Discovered by that PC Alan someone who went on a few weeks later to claim he was abducted in a carpeted flying saucer by an alien named Jake. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, oldrover said:

Todmorden has claimed more than its fair share of strange over the years, isn't that where or near to where that chap Adamski was found dead? Discovered by that PC Alan someone who went on a few weeks later to claim he was abducted in a carpeted flying saucer by an alien named Jake. 

In 1980, Todmorden found itself at the centre of a celebrated murder enquiry. On 11 June that year police were called to J.W. Parker's coal yard in Todmorden after the discovery of a body, subsequently identified as 56-year-old Zigmund Adamski from Tingley, near Wakefield.

The former coal miner had not been seen since setting out on a local shopping trip five days earlier. Although still wearing a suit, his shirt, watch and wallet were missing. A post mortem established that he died of a heart attack earlier that day, and discovered burns on his neck, shoulders and back of his head.

These appeared to have been dressed by a green ointment, which toxicology tests were unable to identify.

Adamski's case has never been solved, no suspect was ever arrested and in a television documentary the coroner, James Turnbull, described it as "one of the most puzzling cases I've come across in 25 years".

Among the explanations to gain currency was that Adamski was the victim of extraterrestrial abduction, following comments by police officer Alan Godfrey about what he saw on 29 November 1980, described in Jenny Randles' 1983 book The Pennine UFO Mystery.

Wikipedia

• Like 1

That's him. I've recalled the surname of the copper who was first on the scene, Alan Godfrey, as in:

• Like 1

I don't know why they are calling it a puma, black puma are extremely rare even in their native environment. Every pic I've seen from Oz and the UK have been house or feral cats.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/5/2021 at 6:49 PM, openozy said:

I don't know why they are calling it a puma, black puma are extremely rare even in their native environment. Every pic I've seen from Oz and the UK have been house or feral cats.

If by "puma" you mean Puma concolor and its subspecies, there's actually never been an authenticated case of a puma/cougar/mountain lion with melanism. The "black panthers" that do exist are melanistic leopards or jaguars, both of which are in the genus Panthera (along with lions and tigers).

Now, there is documentation of human-facilitated puma/leopard crossbreeding, and hypothetically, if this occurred in the wild (with a released or escaped pet leopard), and if at least one of the offspring could reproduce and back-breed with pumas, this might provide a route for  introducing the genes for melanism into the puma population. (Puma-jaguar hybrids seem more likely to occur since their ranges do overlap a bit, but while there's a claim of this cross having been achieved, there are no photos or other solid evidence.)

To actually bring this back around to the topic of this thread, I have a hypothesis for how black pumas in Europe might occur: pet pumas, leopards, and jaguars, with limited options for breeding partners, might hybridize, creating a "mystery cat" with the profile of a puma and the dark color variant present in leopards and jaguars. Do I think this is likely? No. But possible? Maybe.

I don't see a reason why there couldn't be a tiny population of leopards/jaguars descended from captive animals, with inbreeding drastically increasing the incidence of melanism. But it's more likely that the vast majority of sightings are domestic cats or dogs, with the occasional glimpse of an actual big cat that escaped or was released.

• Like 1

Some additional historical accounts of black or atypically dark pumas - regardless of your feelings on Karl Shuker, he does tend to discuss things from multiple angles and he also provides sources, when possible.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My son and me saw a big cat once it was in a field behind an old lake where we fish it was a sany brown colour and making an almost mewing,screaming noise i think it was just a large as in big semi wild cat,my son however is convinced it was some kind of big cat,i now wish we saw it sooner and could of got a couple of pictures of it

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Why is it the videos are mostly from people who claim to be "experts" and not the general public?