Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

England deaths 14% above five year average

Eldorado

England and Wales recorded the most deaths in 2020 of any year in more than a century, with the COVID-19 pandemic leading to a rise in the number of excess deaths, a senior statistician said on Wednesday.

About 604,000 deaths were registered in the two countries in the last 52 weeks, about 73,000 or 14% above the five-year average, Nick Stripe from Britain's Office of National Statistics said on Twitter.

He said only one year since 1900 had seen annual deaths top 600,000, which was 1918, when the Spanish flu pandemic struck.

Full report at Reuters

Edited by Eldorado

4 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

England and Wales recorded the most deaths in 2020 of any year in more than a century, with the COVID-19 pandemic leading to a rise in the number of excess deaths, a senior statistician said on Wednesday.

About 604,000 deaths were registered in the two countries in the last 52 weeks, about 73,000 or 14% above the five-year average, Nick Stripe from Britain's Office of National Statistics said on Twitter.

He said only one year since 1900 had seen annual deaths top 600,000, which was 1918, when the Spanish flu pandemic struck.

Full report at Reuters

Damn that pesky 2015 with 603,000 deaths.

And with all the elective surgery and cancer ops suspended and the issue of increased suicides due to mental health. 

Media propaganda? Sloppy link by the poster to hurry to a covid conclusion? Or genuine?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

Damn that pesky 2015 with 603,000 deaths.

And with all the elective surgery and cancer ops suspended and the issue of increased suicides due to mental health. 

Media propaganda? Sloppy link by the poster to hurry to a covid conclusion? Or genuine?

There were 529,655 deaths registered in England and Wales in 2015, an increase of 5.6% compared with 2014.

ONS UK Gov: Link

3 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

There were 529,655 deaths registered in England and Wales in 2015, an increase of 5.6% compared with 2014.

ONS UK Gov: Link

Stats here too:https://www.statista.com/statistics/281488/number-of-deaths-in-the-united-kingdom-uk/ 

And the government releasing a document in April 2016 about the high number in England and Wales during 2015 here: https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/deaths-in-england-and-wales-in-2015

Something stinks.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

Stats here too:https://www.statista.com/statistics/281488/number-of-deaths-in-the-united-kingdom-uk/ 

And the government releasing a document in April 2016 about the high number in England and Wales during 2015 here: https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/deaths-in-england-and-wales-in-2015

Something stinks.

Those Statista numbers are for the UK.

England and Wales is not the entire UK.

2 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Those Statista numbers are for the UK.

England and Wales is not the entire UK.

Ah yes I see.

I still maintain that the stats are high due to a range of factors incorrectly attributed fully to covid unless you count people like my aunt who "didn't want to bother the doctors" with the abdominal pain she had because they are busy with covid patients. That turned out to be liver cancer and it killed her.

Or my friend and ex work colleague who had 3 mental health appointments cancelled because he had to be kept safe from covid... and committed suicide alone in his flat.

Or my nephews friend since school who jumped to his death due to lcokdown and mental health issues.

Conversely I don't know anyone personally who has passed away from covid.

Tragic and anecdotal but you get my drift I am sure.

• Like 3

Four below average years of mild winters - a lot dry tinder about.