Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why crocodiles have changed so little

Eldorado

Crocodiles today look very similar to ones from the Jurassic period some 200 million years ago. There are also very few species alive today – just 25. Other animals such as lizards and birds have achieved a diversity of many thousands of species in the same amount of time or less.

Prehistory also saw types of crocodile we don't see today, including giants as big as dinosaurs, plant-eaters, fast runners and serpentine forms that lived in the sea.

In the new research, published today in the journal Nature Communications Biology, the scientists explain how crocodiles follow a pattern of evolution known as 'punctuated equilibrium'.

Full report at Agilty PR: Link

And at the University of Bristol

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

God bowled a strike. Followed up by a spare with alligators, and caymans. He was having a good day.:D He then finished the game with one. Last. Rock.

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Haha 2

The word awesome is over-used, but this beastie is TRULY AWESOME! I wonder how old he is?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just now, ouija ouija said:

I wonder how old he is?

Most likely ten under seventy two

~

• Confused 1

On 1/7/2021 at 12:18 PM, ouija ouija said:

The word awesome is over-used, but this beastie is TRULY AWESOME! I wonder how old he is?

HE?  That's my granny, and she's 104.

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Tom1200 said:

HE?  That's my granny, and she's 104.

I am so sorry! :( Please accept my humblest apologies. Tell her she looks amazing for 104. :blush:

• Haha 2